[ETTR DONE] Auto ISO and ETTR shutter in 1/3EV steps

Started by PhantomLord, June 05, 2013, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on June 06, 2013, 10:02:32 AM
I'm heading out the door, so this will be a short reply.  I'll revisit it better later tonight.

No rush, developing ml isn't a matter of seconds :-)

That's the 550D.  5D3 has dual scroll wheels for shutter and aperture.  I assume most other bodies are very similar.

Correct, you just mixed up your original description

I don't understand what the problem is with having one option being user controlled.

Yes, I now see you really don't understand it (though I tried to write it above), let me try explain it again: In Tv mode with ml auto iso you adjust one setting to a *fixed* value (shutter) and the other is dynamic to deeper depth of field but with a *safeguard* to prevent the lens going wide open, Canon auto iso doesn't do that and this is my main concern with Tv mode for ages.

I always use this in walk around mode with my 17-40L, setting the appropriate shutter to prevent shake and then the min. aperture in ml to f5.6 or f8 because a) this lens is soft at f4 and b) this way I get deep depth of field in good light and in bad light ml raises the iso before getting a too shallow dof - with a f2.8 or f1.4 lens this is even more necessary.

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 06, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
Correct, you just mixed up your original description

Quote from: Audionut on June 06, 2013, 06:01:09 AM
On bodies without dual wheels, you can hold the Av button and scroll the main wheel to adjust aperture.

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 06, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
Yes, I now see you really don't understand it

What I said will work with AutoETTR.  If you must use Canon autoISO, Put it in manual mode!  Please.  For the love of god, go and give it a try!

Either set you shutter to a minimum and leave it alone.  Or set your aperture to a minimum and leave it alone.  Adjust the other one on the fly.  ISO will be changed accordingly.

edit:  Can you map aperture to the scroll wheel on single wheel bodies?  Then you don't even have to press the Av button!

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on June 06, 2013, 10:17:50 AM
If you must use Canon autoISO, Put it in manual mode!  Please.  For the love of god, go and give it a try! Either set you shutter to a minimum and leave it alone.  Or set your aperture to a minimum and leave it alone.  Adjust the other one on the fly.  ISO will be changed accordingly.

But, but, but I do think I do know how Canon auto iso in manual mode works, really! :-o ... I also got auto-ettr working, very nice and all though you have to take one underexposed pic which takes time & one shutter (my 60d already is at 130k).

It's just that as far as I see it ettr only adjusts the shutter speed. I'm puzzled how it or Canon auto-iso in m replaces another mechanism (Tv with *ml* autoiso) that varies the aperture with a user-settable lower limit.

Quote from: Audionut on June 06, 2013, 10:17:50 AM
edit:  Can you map aperture to the scroll wheel on single wheel bodies?  Then you don't even have to press the Av button!

Sorry, actually I misread you post - of course on my 60d with two wheels one adjusts shutter, the other aperture.

larrycafe

I miss the Auto ISO also. it helps in my 60D for outdoor flash photo.

the auto ISO with flash turned on, will be at ISO 400. The auto ISO helps setting the ISO properly in Tv mode.

when my son is getting around in playground, the lighting condition might change a lots, every shot could need different ISO, and with flash, there is not any workable auto ISO from canon (well, I then grabbed a 1D mark III for this)

maybe one day we can make the auto ETTR doing the job when metering start, that will be good enough to replace ML Auto ISO.