Comparing Raw to H.264 Video and White Balance Question

Started by Dugdale, June 05, 2013, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugdale

Is there a way to set the white balance in the 5D3 using Magic Lantern raw instead of doing all the adjustment in post later?

It always seems to be default to 6200 Kelvin and +66.

Audionut

There's like a hundred posts about this all over the forum Dugdale.  ;)

But here is an answer from a1ex on how to fix it.  A little harder to search for!

Dugdale

@Audionut thanks for the link to Alex's post.

Perhaps I need some help navigating this forum. I did several searches for "white balance 6200 kelvin" and others keywords as well thinking many others have run in to this issue as I have but I found nothing about this.

Does the search option not work well here on this forum? Is there another way to find information on this forum quickly? I have many other questions that I would like to find answers to and I have read most if not all the Sticky Topics.

Sorry if this is a silly questions.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Dugdale on June 05, 2013, 04:20:56 PM

Perhaps I need some help navigating this forum. I did several searches for "white balance 6200 kelvin" and others keywords as well thinking many others have run in to this issue as I have but I found nothing about this.

Does the search option not work well here on this forum? Is there another way to find information on this forum quickly? I have many other questions that I would like to find answers to and I have read most if not all the Sticky Topics.

I'd suggest going to Google type in: "site:" followed by the magical lantern forum url. Then hit space and type in your search inquiry. It works pretty good.

Big fan of you're work on youtube by the way.  I've been watching you for about a year now, keep up the great work.

Audionut

In my experience, I always search very broadly to start with.  So in this instance I would search simply balance.  And indeed, that gives good results high on the first page.
If the search is too broad, then I would try and narrow it down.

The best advice I can give you, if it seems like an issue lots of people are going to experience, it's probably already been posted about.  We're doing our best to create the necessary stickies and make information readily available, but to be honest, the devs can develop faster then we can organize the forums :)  Us mods like to play with new bits of code too ;)

Don't be afraid to pm me if you have a question you feel might have already been asked but you are having problems searching for.

And thanks for your video on installation of ML on the 5D3.  I'm sure lots of people will find it useful.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Dugdale on June 05, 2013, 04:20:56 PM

Dave how did you get the audio synced up? Did you have the microphone plugged into the camera? I'm not really knowledgeable at all when it comes to external audio solutions.

Dugdale

@xNiNELiVES I tried recording audio within the 5D3 but it would only record a few seconds and then stop, so I plugged the mic in to my T3i and recorded it there, with the t3i I pointed it at the screen and I could see exactly when it started and what frame it was on.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Dugdale on June 05, 2013, 09:43:54 PM
@xNiNELiVES I tried recording audio within the 5D3 but it would only record a few seconds and then stop, so I plugged the mic in to my T3i and recorded it there, with the t3i I pointed it at the screen and I could see exactly when it started and what frame it was on.

Can't you just plug in an external mic that saves to another storage location in which you plug into the camera? When the camera starts and stops shooting shouldn't the camera send a signal for the microphone to start and stop recording? Thats how I would think microphones as such should work...

1%

Doesn't work that way...

with raw, screw WB... uniwb!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 02:38:08 AM
Doesn't work that way...

with raw, screw WB... uniwb!

Yeah its easy to change but it would be nice if the tint was set at 0 for default.

chrishelms

does the mlv format store the white balance in the metadata info?