Bulb ramping help for a beginner

Started by lloydy, June 04, 2013, 07:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloydy

Just a question for anyone that might be able to help regarding a day to night timelapse i'm trying to create.
I'm very very new to photography so some may think that catching a sunset timelapse is probably something i should leave for the future but i am determined to crack it!
I recently bought a cannon 60d and have been out a lot enjoying the relaxing aspect of photography,i have been out almost every night shooting pictures and getting to know my camera.I'm not the type to ask for help and explanations and am pretty driven to teach myself if i find the appropriate help online.
So timelapsing and long exposure shooting are two forms of photography that most interest me.These are really the two types i can photography that i want to learn inside out.
I bought a cheap intervalometer and have shot a few evening timelapses which i am quite happy with,obviously i am having a few problems with flicker and other beginner problems but have read all the work arounds and also read about all the software available for cures.
I have read nothing but good things about magic lantern so decided to download and install because i want to eventually catch sunrise/sunset timelapses.
I have spent the last few nights in my front garden shooting the sky to try experiment with the settings but seem to be getting nowhere.I think the main problem is i don't really understand the settings being a beginner.
The first night i shot in manual mode with these settings.
White balance set to daytime
interval was set to 10s
bulb ramping was set to sunset 
max ramp speed 0.050
manual exposure set to off
manual focus ramp set to off
I metered for midtones around 63 percentile
Now i'm only trying to shoot the sky going from light to dark so no sun,at the moment the sky starts to dim about 9.30pm and gets darker over the next hour to pitch black by 11pm
The first shoot with the settings above the exposure seemed to keep the sky like it was daylight all throughout the shoot.
The second shoot i settings were
camera set to av mode
white balance to set to colour temp 5200
bulb ramp was set to sunset
max ramp speed 0.010
manual exposure set to off
manual focus ramp set to off
I metered for mitones at 50 percentile as i read this would be a good starter point.
Now this was better but still kept the sky quite light,not as bad as the first shoot but still it didn't really catch the real darkness i was seeing happening.
Also on both shoots i took roughly 300 shots.the last 20 shots of the second night seemed to brighten right up for some reason which seemed to confuse me.The only thing i can think is about the last 20 shots i sat behind the camera on my phone without using anything to cover the viewfinder.

If i'm completely honest i'm not 100% sure what the max ramp speed does,i understand that it changes iso and shutter speed over a time period but what time period sort of eludes me.
I have searched and searched the internet for any beginner tutorials to no avail,i mean there is plenty out there that don't explain what the bulb ramping settings are actually doing.
If anyone would spend the time for a beginner to explain the how the max ramp speed actually works i would be really appreciative.I'm am plaining on going out tonight again to try different settings and will refine the way i set the camera so any advice will go absolute miles to my understanding of how to catch it perfectly.

Thanks in advance
James

a1ex

lloydy

Hi Alex
Thanks for the reply but the AutoETTR function doesn't seem to have been ported to the 60d yet.I have looked through the settings on my camera but can't seem to find it unless i'm being really blind.

a1ex

Hm... did you try the latest nightly and didn't work?

lloydy

Ahhhhh no i have the last stable release.I shall install the most recent nightly build and try the new function.Any advice for a complete novice?Should i just follow the instructions in the thread you were so kind to post earlier?
Thanks again Alex and very excited about what the future holds.

lloydy

Just a quick one,will i nee to uninstall stable release 2.3 and reinstall the nightly build?

lloydy

Latest nightly build installed and camera set up to roll 8)
Thanks again Alex for the help and i will try my hardest to add as much input as i can to any bugs that i come across with my limited experience in photography and cameras. :)