Anyone with a photospectrometer to borrow in Paris or in Auckland?

Started by Jehan, June 09, 2013, 01:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jehan

Hello,

Some little off-topic here, but after all that's the "general chat" forum, and that's multimedia creation related. :-)

I just bought this nice open-hardware colorimeter to calibrate my screen colors: the colorhug (http://hughski.com/). Well that's a laptop screen because I am always on the move. I know that's not ideal, but... anyway! My display calibration seems a little off, I would think too much towards the red. The FAQ says it can happen with specific material, in particular some expensive LED displays, and that a correction matrix may be needed to improve calibration accuracy.

But to make this matrix, I would also need a photospectrometer. And I have none.
So I am in Paris, France, until next Wednesday, then will be in Auckland, New Zealand, from the 14th of June. Would anyone around here or there have a photospectrometer that I could borrow? I could meet you for instance in a cafe, offer you a drink and discuss while the colorhug and the photospectrometer work together and generate this correction matrix. :-) Then I would use this matrix to fix my icc file, and also would contribute it upstream for anyone with a similar screen.
Anyway if someone has this kind of device, please don't hesitate to answer here.
Otherwise I'll search elsewhere.
Thanks!

Audionut

Failing anyone having one you can use, you might be able to find one for rent.

I recall reading about some companies offering high end equipment for rent over at the avsforums.  I would suggest that you also create a thread over there to ask, as the userbase in that section is focused more on display calibration and you're more likely to find someone.

Failing that, your next best bet is probably sending your calibration device away to have the corrections made for you.  Tom Huffman of ChromaPure has the required devices to perform this task.  He does this for calibration devices he sells for use with his software (and recalibration of the device over time).  His specialty is in home theater display devices as apposed to laptop displays, but he is a wonderful man to deal with and always seems willing to help.  You can contact him through his website linked earlier, or through PM at avsforums.  At the very least, he might be able to recommend someone who can help you further.

I see you created a thread on the mailing list but haven't had much luck there, you might have some luck using ArgyllCMS.  I'm fairly certain you can download correction matrices created by other users.  I do this through this GUI for ArgyllCMS.  However it appears as though the GUI might not support your meter.  I'm almost certain that the GUI is strictly control of ArgyllCMS, meaning that the downloading of correction matrices should be from ArgyllCMS and not an added feature of the GUI.  Although I may be mistaken.

Best of luck.