Macbook Retina Not Seeing Card. Please Help!

Started by musicalchairs44, June 01, 2013, 08:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicalchairs44

Hey everyone.  I am new to Magic Lantern.  Sorry if this has already been addressed.  I have a weird issue with my 5d3.  I have successfully installed the ML RAW software on the camera and everything seems to be functioning correctly.  I am having an issue getting the files to my MBPR.  When I connect the camera via USB it does not show any sign of the RAW video files.  I then ejected the card and put it into a Promaster CF card reader.  The reader (which is new and also a giant piece of S&*T) will not recognize the card and asks to in initialize it.  That that point I tried numerous times to format the card.  It failed every time.  I have tried the card in camera and the Mac will not see the ML video...and in a card reader and the mac will not see the file. 

I have seen the clip playback in camera and confirmed that it did track to the CF card. 

Is there something really basic that I am doing wrong?  Please help. 

Francis

Get a new card reader. Don't trust your data with a giant piece of crap. Try a different card if you have one.

musicalchairs44

I totally agree with you.  I normally do not use a card reader at all.  I take everything directly off the camera.  The only time I use a card reader with when importing from my RED Epic.  Then I use the RED reader.  Thats solid though.  I bought this card reader because my camera was not seen by my MBPR and wanted to try another option. 

Has anyone had any success just plugging in your 5D3 to your computer via usb and taken the Magic Lantern Raw video files directly off the camera.  "Image Capture" does not show the ML raw files and neither does the Canon Utility software.  When I open finder the 5D3 is not listed as a hard drive option. 

Any work arounds?  I have no problem buying the nicest card reader if that is the solution.  I am just not convinced that it is the answer. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

musicalchairs44

I have also tried 4 other high end cards that all range from 16g to 32 gig and had the same result.  It is not the card.

musicalchairs44

Also, I can see any picture or movie taken with the Canon software.  It just does not show any of the ML raw video files.  Any ideas?

nanomad

Quote from: musicalchairs44 on June 01, 2013, 09:56:21 PM
Also, I can see any picture or movie taken with the Canon software.  It just does not show any of the ML raw video files.  Any ideas?
Canon software doesn't work with ML files
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

musicalchairs44

So I have been troubleshooting.  I have been booting ML with the SD card in the Mark iii while trying to record the video to the CF card.  That is the issue.  I can not seem to get the ML software on my CF card.  Neither my PC or MacBook retina will let me access my CF card from the reader.  I can access the SD card though.  I found the ML movie files only appear when I am recording to the SD card.  When booted from the SD and recording to the camera formatted CF card, the files are no where to be found.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have also tried plugging the camera up to the computer with the CF card in it and dragging the ML files from there...no go.  Also, both mac and PC, when using the CF card through the card reader, state it needs to be initialized.,,and then fails.  Same result from all 4 of my Sandisk extreme 32gb cards. 

Where is the issue?