Copying ML to the flashcard...

Started by JosRi, May 28, 2013, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JosRi

Hi,
I'm new to ML, and I have this question:
Since my computer has NO slot for my ScanDisk card (in my D60), I would like to know if it is harmful to copy the ML software directly onto the card while it sits in my camera.
When I hook up the camera to my computer thru the USB cable, I can see the ScanDisk as an external drive, complete with all the folders taht are on it (i.e. DCIM and MISC), so I can copy any software directly from my computer to the card.
But is this allowed for the correct installation of ML at all?

Thanks,
Jos Richters

Stedda

You need a card reader. It's not a good idea to transfer that way.

Take a minute to read any one of the many best practices/how to threads or the wiki guide.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

JosRi

So what does the cardreader that the copy-paste doesn't do?

As far as I can tell the only thing to do is to copy the installation files onto the card in order to get the installation process in the camera running. Am I right?

Thanks,
Jos

JosRi

Yeah..... I figured that out ;)
But why can't I use the ordinary Windows copy->paste way?

Other question:
Canon has an EOS function that enables me to upgrade the firmware thru the USB connection. I just did that sucessfully.

Can I install ML the same way?

Thanks,
Jos

Audionut

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

QuoteFormat the card in the camera (low-level format).
    Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card.
    Launch the Firmware Update process.
        If the card LED is blinking for more than a few seconds, upgrade your Canon firmware from the links above (even if you already have the correct firmware version number!) and try again.
    Once you see the green confirmation screen, restart your camera. Done.
    If something goes wrong, check the Troubleshooting section.

If you have one of the new ports that requires you to manually make the card bootable, you'll probably want to use a card reader.  I can't recall how the card is mounted through the camera usb interface, but it's probably not conductive to successful operation of one of the bootable utilities.

Stedda

Quote from: JosRi on May 28, 2013, 01:25:32 PM
Yeah..... I figured that out ;)
But why can't I use the ordinary Windows copy->paste way?

Other question:
Canon has an EOS function that enables me to upgrade the firmware thru the USB connection. I just did that sucessfully.

Can I install ML the same way?

Thanks,
Jos

Why would you expect EOS software to handle third party firmware upgrade? and after reading the Wiki do you just prefer not to take it's advice and mess up your camera or is a $5 card reader that much expense or trouble to obtain?
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

JosRi

Ok, I am still puzzled.....

This is from the ML installation manual: (My comments/question between the lines)

Step2. Installation
• Formatthecardinthecamera(low level format).
Jos: I did this thru the EOS utility as Canon discribes; no problem here

• Unzipallofthefiles fromfrom Magic Lanternziparchive on the root of your card.
Jos: This is my main question: Can I copy-paste the files directly to the card?
the manual is silent about this....

• Launch the Firmware Update process.
Jos: this seems to be the EOS utility because I can't find anything else to do this job.

• If the screen goes black and card LED starts blinking, upgrade your Canon firmware
from the links above (even if you already have the correct version number!) and try
again.
Jos: Well, this is the point where I'm stuck because I don't know if my assumptions are right

• Onceyousee the green confirmation screen, restartyour camera. Done.
I'll be glad to reach this point ;)

And about the earlier remark about a card reader.....
It is not that I don't want to spend a couple of Euro's on a card reder..... The cost of a camera body is about 100 times thet amount...
It is just my curiosity on the installation process.
And no, I don't expect Canon to make its EOS suitable for installation of other firmware producte, it's the other way 'round:
Why, when spending so much effort in developing such a superb product like ML, is it not possible to use Canon's EOS installation utility too?

Sorry in advance, I don't want to be hash.... just curious.....

Thanks,
Jos

Audionut

The installation process is clear.

Quote from: JosRi on May 28, 2013, 02:08:02 PM
• Formatthecardinthecamera(low level format).
Jos: I did this thru the EOS utility as Canon discribes; no problem here

Doing it through the EOS utility, is not doing it in camera with low level format.

Quote from: JosRi on May 28, 2013, 02:08:02 PM• Unzipallofthefiles fromfrom Magic Lanternziparchive on the root of your card.
Jos: This is my main question: Can I copy-paste the files directly to the card?
the manual is silent about this....

It states to unzip the files to the root of the card.  Hint:  It doesn't state that you must use a specific mode of operation to perform this task.

Quote from: JosRi on May 28, 2013, 02:08:02 PM
• Launch the Firmware Update process.
Jos: this seems to be the EOS utility because I can't find anything else to do this job.

You could try using the camera!

Forget about the EOS utility, it's causing you to think about stuff that's just clouding your ability to read the installation guide sufficiently.

Since you don't seem to have a problem just getting a $2 card reader to perform the tasks, and only seem to have a problem with reading the installation guide, thread locked!