RAWesome in Big Sur Mark3 video

Started by DerekDock, June 01, 2013, 07:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekDock

Here is our video from our RAW testing last weekend. Turned out great but post workflow was such a headache I don't know how much I'd shoot with it consistently. Still makes me want to get a Mark 3.

http://vimeo.com/67422760

For memorial day and my birthday we headed down the coast to Big Sur for a weekend of camping. It also provided some great backdrops for some testing of the new Magic Lantern RAW release for the Canon 5dmkIII.
Shot with the May 22nd nightly build on a KomputerBay 128gb that didn't give us a high enough Write rate for 1080p so we shot mostly at 1920x880 with some 960 scattered in. We also tested some Macro shots with the punch in.
Lenses used: Zeiss 50 Makro ZE, Zeiss 25/2.0 ZE, Zeiss 85/1.4 ZE, Takumar 28/3.5
The grade was to try and achieve a filmic look in Lightroom using the VSCO film looks. I know it's not the best to see the quality out of the RAW but I wanted to process it the same way I do stills. Ran into a few color issues where CA and banding got nasty but overall it graded well. The grain looks very film-like to my eyes but the cast is a tad too magenta.
Shooting by Plaid Zebra (Joel) and Derek Dockendorf (Me)
Post production workflow headache by Left Coast Digital (Me)
Music by Postiljonen - On the Run
Download the full ProRes HQ file to see less compression and follow us & Plaid Zebra to show some love.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock