RAW processing for T4i/650D

Started by newsense, February 28, 2016, 06:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newsense

I am interested in trying RAW with my T4i. What apps do I need to process the video and remove the pink dots? I am running Windows 10.

cmccullum

Did you try having a look around the forum before asking?

newsense

Yes I tried MLVFS, just got it working actually but have some blue dots. This was after trying with the --cs2x2 option. I'm still not 100% sure if pinkdotremover is what I need or not. I wanted to try mlrawviewer but couldn't get it working. Thanks for the reply, I promise I did not come asking questions before doing some research.

dmilligan

Quote from: newsense on February 29, 2016, 01:34:59 AM
Yes I tried MLVFS, just got it working actually but have some blue dots. This was after trying with the --cs2x2 option.
You shouldn't need to use --cs2x2. Focus pixel fixing should be automatic for 650D, but the .fpm files need to be in the current directory (the directory you're launching mlvfs from => so just put them in the same directory as the executable and cd to that directory before launching mlvfs).

newsense

Quote from: dmilligan on February 29, 2016, 03:50:41 AM
You shouldn't need to use --cs2x2. Focus pixel fixing should be automatic for 650D, but the .fpm files need to be in the current directory (the directory you're launching mlvfs from => so just put them in the same directory as the executable and cd to that directory before launching mlvfs).
Thank you very much. Didn't even know about those files.

newsense

There are .fpm files there already, any certain ones I need there?

dfort

You need the .fpm files that start with 80000301 for the 650D but you say you have blue spots? Those might not be focus pixels. Also, did you say you're using the Pink Dot Removal Tool with MLVFS? That shouldn't be necessary.

Could you post a sample frame?

DeafEyeJedi

Blue dots? Really? Please share some samples as we're all curious about this as well...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

When the fpm file does it,s thing it should be fairly easy to add the coordinates to any additional hot/dead pixel which could still be there and put it in the fpm file mentioned here. Correct me if I,m wrong. If that works wouldn,t it be good to have some additional info to what files works with what camera?

dfort

Listing all the map files for all the cameras should probably done on a different topic but the dimensions listed in the file names of the .fpm files depends on the video mode.

1808x1190)
    video_mode=mv1080
    ;;
  1808x727)
    video_mode=mv720
    ;;
  1872x1060)
    video_mode=mv1080crop
    ;;
  2592x1108)
    video_mode=zoom
    ;;

So if newsense shot with the Canon menu set to 1920x1080 it would be "normal" full frame raw video (mv1080) on the 650D and the .fpm that will be used is 80000301_1808x1190.fpm. He could add coordinates to that file if he has some dead pixels. However, it would be best to determine exactly what is causing the blue dots. Focus pixels usually show up as green or pink dots.

dmilligan

Depending on the scene and the (as of yet not fully understood) behavior of the focus pixels themselves, it's certainly possible for focus pixels to show up as any color. Furthermore the demosiacing algorithm used could make a huge difference. There's also the human perception element as well (there was the 'blue/yellow dress' meme a while back)

newsense

I'll post a frame when I get home from work, thanks guys.

newsense

after looking further it looks like the blue dots were noise, I must have accidentally magnified the window and didnt notice late last night. Sorry guys. It looks like the cs2x2 option is redundant too. Thanks again.

jayclas

this is what I'm getting, it's killing me right now.

dmilligan

Stop double posting. You got an answer in the other thread, replied "Ok thank you!" and then continued to post the same question again in other threads, including this one. That's not going to help you.

PabloW

Has anyone tried using MLVProducer as an all in one solution for working with th MLV files that come out of the 650D (pink dots, etc.) to make them usable for editing in premiere?

I haven't even recorded anything in raw yet, I'm trying to figure out how this all works.