Native support for Magic Lantern RAW-files in Premiere

Started by Markus, May 25, 2013, 05:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

I just submitted a suggestion that Adobe contact Magic Lantern developers and exploring the possibility to implementing native support for these new 14bit raw-files. My dream would be a feature like the one they have for Reds r3d-files. If other people would send in similar requests maybe there is a small chance of this dream coming true =). I think publicity vice this is a great publicity opportunity for Adobe!

If you wish to do as I have the link below will take you to adobes feature request form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Some dreams come true  =)

SDX

The development of the RAW feature is far from finished, which might result in the file type changing. Even tough I think the chances are very low, it's good enough to ask.

Otherwise, it isn't the hardest task in the world to develop a plugin. The SDK can be downloaded for free here. Give it a go!

Markus

I tought it would be good for this to start before everything is finished. Maybe they would have some requests themselves on the format for this to work.

hirethestache

I've also put in a request to a friend that works on the front end development team for Illustrator & Photoshop. He just so happens to be a Canon user, and loves ML. Well see if be can pull anything through. I'm also acquainted with Andew Kramer(videocopilot.com), and he's a fan of the team. He's busy with Bad Robot right now, but he did seem keen on fiddling with it if he had free time.
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

N/A

Nice, I've gotten quite quick with the raw workflow now so that would make things even faster.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

hirethestache

@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

N/A

Hmm, I use AE but I'm assuming if Adobe adds native support for Premiere, they'd do it for AE as well.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Mei Lewis

It would be much more likely we could get support in Red Giant's new "Bulletproof" app

http://www.redgiant.com/blog/2013/05/21/red-giant-bulletproof-beta-download-it-now-for-free/

It's still in beta so being actively developed, and Stu Maschwitz is involved, this guy:
http://prolost.com/blog/2013/5/15/space-monkeys-raw-video-and-giving-us-all-youve-got.html

Markus

All these solutions coming out is great now that we have nothing else but if we could get native support everything would be so much easier. The data rates would be within the bounds of a new harddrive for realtime playback. I don't know what kind of cpu power is required for realtime debayering but if they can do it on the r3d-files I bet they can do it on these raw-files. They wold have to write some code to get the dng-data from the raw-files but since this is a format that they are already supporting in i bunch of there programs i can't see that this would be too difficult for them.
This would be great even if you decide to edit with proxies because then you could just relink to the native files before export.

Mei Lewis

I believe Premiere is pretty much always editing with proxies behind the scenes anyway, just hiding that inconvenice from the user, so it doesn't require realtime playback/debayering of original .r3d or .raw files.

mvejerslev

Premiere used to have support for DNGs. After all, Adobe started the DNG initiative. But somewhere along the lines, Adobe stopped supporting the CinemaDNG format and lost interest, removing the support... Current After Effects imports DNGs and allow for a lossless workflow.
5D Mark II, PC

savale

The fact that I cant open the dng's in premiere isn't a big deal for me. What would be nice is to have the ability to convert to a standardized compressed raw format before editing, but I am not too sure if there is any yet?

_Ombra_

mvejerslev you are quite wrong. I understand they are merging the CinemaDNG support into Premiere CC which comes out next month. We will see what happens

briwil

Just to clarify, ML DNG's can be opened in After Effects though; or are you talking about different files?
I have AE cs6 and I can import them with no problem.

Is it different with Premiere, or are you using an older version (pre-cs6)?

mvejerslev

@Ombra, what was wrong about what I wrote, exactly? Does it contradict what you are saying?
5D Mark II, PC