MKIII failing to boot / battery issues

Started by adamweinberg, May 23, 2013, 07:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamweinberg

hi all, new ML user here. installed a version of ML (May 22nd(240050c)) that i'm aware might not be a stable release. ML works fine when running, but 3 out of every 4 times i turn on my MKIII, nothing happens at all. if i remove and re-insert the battery, it will boot fine and everything works as expected. another issue i've had (unsure if they're related) is that i'll turn the camera off, will turn it on the next morning and the battery will be completely drained.

with these issues, i'm less concerned with solutions to them and more concerned whether or not these are warning signs of something that could potentially cause permanent issues with or brick my camera. though if anyone does have solutions / advice it would be greatly appreciated.

adam

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

adamweinberg

this continually happens if i leave the ML card in the camera, turn it off and turn it back on again. i almost always need to remove the battery for my camera to boot. unless there are logs that could be helpful for developers to see, i'm planning to reformat the card and make sure i didn't miss any steps.

a1ex

Teach me like you would do with a 5-year old, for example:

step 1: turn on the camera
step 2: do this and that (idk, record raw video, then use follow focus)
step 3: turn off the camera
step 4: turn the camera back on => it's not turning on.

Also post your config file.

budafilms

I had the same problem.
I found the solution like this:

1.  Downgrade the firmware for a fresh file from google.
2. Restore original settings from canon.
3. Format the sd card in the computer (osx)
4. Put out the battery
5. Put all the files from other release like 17 May.
6. Apply ML firmware
7. Turn off an battery again out.
8. Make the sd card bootable.
9. Put out the CF card
10. Put SD card, Load ML.
11. Turn off, put CF card and finished.

I dont know which was the problem, but its working stable at the moment. For me was the SD card badly formatted or the firmware corrupted, i really dont know. Try with this.....

a1ex

The 5D3 is sensitive to filesystem corruption; for example, at some point it was freezing at the second picture taken. Spent one hour to hunt the bug in ML, and then I've tried with plain Canon firmware - was still freezing. Formatted the card and it went back to normal.

mandersson

Hey Guys,
I have the ALPHA 3 running on my 5dmk3 from may 16th, it boots up on auto when I turn on the camera but when the 100% is reached it says "scripts dir missing" can someone please explain this to me and tell me what I need to do. If I need it etc.

ThanksAmiLLION

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mandersson on May 24, 2013, 05:04:42 PM
Hey Guys,
I have the ALPHA 3 running on my 5dmk3 from may 16th, it boots up on auto when I turn on the camera but when the 100% is reached it says "scripts dir missing" can someone please explain this to me and tell me what I need to do. If I need it etc.

ThanksAmiLLION

A very simple SEARCH (see above on the menu)  will lead the answer to you question.  Search for: scripts dir missing
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X