12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Could not reproduce on 700D either. Also noticed that the edmac module should be either updated or removed from the builds posted on the experiments downloads page.

@Dionisgr - Same suggestion, start with a fresh ML configuration. If the issue persists, clearing the Canon settings sometimes helps.

Dionisgr

This configuration worked with assemblies: magiclantern-Nightly.2017Mar30.650D104 and  magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.650D104
canon  650d EF-S 18-55 IS II, Industar-50-2, Industar-61 L/Z MC, Jupiter-37A

dfort

The configuration changed because raw_twk isn't included in those builds.

Remove the ML/SETTINGS folder, enable modules one at a time and maybe we can figure out what is causing the problem.

domo94

Due to the official 7D mk I thread being locked...

I just want to thank @dfort SO MUCH for more updates and work done to the 7D.

I can't wait to download and install the new build for 10-12-14 bit raw recording.

Even with the build from March, this camera is holding up really really strong.

togg

I'm a little bit lost :) If I want to use mlv lite with sound and compression should I use this one or crop rec from last year? Which one is less bug prone?

edit: ok I tested it and the answer seems to be the crop rec branch? I was just surprised to see that the last update is from last year and this one is more recent.

dfort

Quote from: domo94 on May 16, 2019, 06:40:38 PM
Due to the official 7D mk I thread being locked...

Unlocked--feel free to post on that topic.

Quote from: togg on May 26, 2019, 07:21:50 AM
I was just surprised to see that the last update is from last year and this one is more recent.

The Digic 4 cameras (7D, 5D2, 50D, 500D, 550D, 60D, 600D, 1100D) are not supported in the crop_rec branches. The raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState adds support for these older cameras. Note that 10/12bit works but not the lossless compression that is incorporated in the crop_rec_4k branches.

Spups

Hi!
First post here, been lurking a few months trying to learn everything I can about ML and I think it's time to show off some 10 bit footage!
A big shoutout to Dfort, thank you for everything you've put into these builds!

Video shot on Canon 7D
Lens was Helios 44-2 + ND
No Grade
Processing was as follows:
7D 10 bit > MLVAPP (LOG-C) > Prores 422 > Adobe Premiere (LOG-C to REC709) > 4k blow up > HEVC

domo94

@Spups

Nice!

I love it.
I was looking into that lens! How do you like it?
What build did you use and what RAW settings did you record with?

Spups

@domo94

Cheers!

The 44-2 is a very capable lens for video.
Having the stepless aperture ring is nice, and the focus ring is as smooth as butter.
IQ is very good, some of the sharpest old glass in it's price range.
Build quality is outstanding, no rattles or loose parts - you could practically use it as a hammer, lol.

Some things to note:
Stepless aperture is easy to nudge so be aware.
Focus ring has a long travel (270 degrees) so you get a work out pulling focus.
there is an unpainted ring inside the 44-2 that causes flaring wide open, stop down a step and it fixes it.

Overall a very fun lens, with a very fun price tag. I paid £30 for mine and the only time it leaves my 7D is when I need to get close and use my Sigma Superwide II 24mm
I shoot 10 bit @ 23.976p (low jello mode) on DForts may build.

histor

I used 44-2 for a long time on 600d without a problem. Cheap, easy to repair/disassemble if you need.  Great ergonomics. On a full frame it looks differently – corners are never sharp (not good for stitching panoramas, for example), the whole image seems to be much more "artistic". But you need sufficient subject.

domo94

Quote from: Spups on July 16, 2019, 11:55:48 AM
I shoot 10 bit @ 23.976p (low jello mode) on DForts may build.

10 bit and what resolution? I need to know.
What about all the extra settings such as buffer speed method?
That video looked great!

Encounter any problems?!

domo94

Quote from: Spups on July 16, 2019, 11:55:48 AM
The 44-2 is a very capable lens for video.
Having the stepless aperture ring is nice, and the focus ring is as smooth as butter.
IQ is very good, some of the sharpest old glass in it's price range.
Build quality is outstanding, no rattles or loose parts - you could practically use it as a hammer, lol.

Do you need any extra mounts or adapters for this lens to work on the 7d?
Does it work full frame?

Spups

@domo94

Resolution was the maximum for 16:9 capture: 1728x972. This can be increased to 1728 x 1152 if you shoot in 3:2 (max resolution the 7D can achieve without x3 crop AFAIK). I may well shoot in 3:2 for a future video, the cost being some black bars on the sides.
I don't touch any buffer settings as I've not encountered any problems with continous recording. I have however changed the liveview settings to use canons view (this stops magic lantern from putting the liveview to black and white when zooming in to confirm focus)

The 44-2 works perfectly on a full frame body, though don't expect razor sharp corners wide open (even my APS-C gets soft around the edge at F2) so you may find F5.6+ works better if global sharpness is a big concern.
you will need an M42 to canon EF adapter. these can be bought very inexpensively, mine was made by Neewer.

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: Spups on July 08, 2019, 08:52:37 AM
Processing was as follows:
7D 10 bit > MLVAPP (LOG-C) > Prores 422 > Adobe Premiere (LOG-C to REC709) > 4k blow up > HEVC

Just curious why you didn't MLVAPP (Rec.709) > Prores 422 instead?
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

masc

Quote from: KirbyLikes525 on August 05, 2019, 03:29:57 PM
Just curious why you didn't MLVAPP (Rec.709) > Prores 422 instead?
Most people who export with a LOG profile from MLVApp like to grade in another program. LOG offers much more room than Rec.709, which mostly cuts shadows and highlights, when not correcting before the export in MLVApp.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: masc on August 05, 2019, 08:12:47 PM
Most people who export with a LOG profile from MLVApp like to grade in another program. LOG offers much more room than Rec.709, which mostly cuts shadows and highlights, when not correcting before the export in MLVApp.

Gotcha, thanks.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

Mike Mout

Hi everybody , I'm new here, I just installed ML on my 5DMK3 and I have issues when I'm shooting in 1920x818 at 25fps 10bits ratio 2.35.1
the image is perfect but I have no sound or just a few seconds... generally the sound is being recorded around 24 seconds after the beginning of the recording and stops few seconds later (but the video recording still runs...)
Does any of you have the same problem ?
Sorry for my bad English , I'm French...

Dobfek

Hello! I am using this branch for a quite while now on my 600D. Unfortunately it has the SD card speed bottleneck. I would like to record raw in a better resolution but only at 8 bits. This way an "almost" 720p resolution would be possible without the compression artifacts.(I know it can be pointless as h264 has the same color depth, but the artifacts and color banding can be minimized.) Would it be possible, to implement an 8 bit raw mode? Thank you!

micromaster

Hello,

I use on my 7d with the magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState.2019May15.7D203 (Dfort)
It works quite well even at high resolutions (10bit) but the big drawback is that the framing during recording (preview option) in ML Grayscale mode remains frozen.
In "Canon" mode the framing is smooth but much too zoomed in to be really usable.
Do you know of a version for the 7d that does not have this defect?
If so can you give me the link?

Thank you anticipating your answer.

(sorry for my English coming from a translator)

Spups

Quote from: micromaster on January 14, 2022, 12:19:19 AM
Hello,

I use on my 7d with the magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState.2019May15.7D203 (Dfort)
It works quite well even at high resolutions (10bit) but the big drawback is that the framing during recording (preview option) in ML Grayscale mode remains frozen.
In "Canon" mode the framing is smooth but much too zoomed in to be really usable.
Do you know of a version for the 7d that does not have this defect?
If so can you give me the link?

Thank you anticipating your answer.

(sorry for my English coming from a translator)

I've tested this just now on my 7d, we share the same build and the problem persists on mine. I think it's due to this build but I'll take the working 10bit over dodgy 2k!
I reckon best way would be take a few test shots to get your reference before the take. or use greyscale for reference then back to canon for recording- Don't know about you but I only use 2k on static landscapes or cityscapes due to exaggerated CMOS slush lol, so it wouldn't slow the workflow much?

theBilalFakhouri

Let's blow the dust a little bit from this thread :P

Yesterday I was looking into 10/12-bit branch, mainly for DIGIC 4 models (the older ones), what I found:

-Both 5D2 and 50D have working 12/10-bit in uncompressed MLV (Walter did some tests and verified that using mlv_rec.mo, thanks!).
Official builds are available here under 10/12-bit RAW video.

-12/10-bit does also work on 7D, a1ex and dfort worked on it before, but the commit wasn't merged back to main repo, check this, also some footage.

-Remaining models are 550D and 500D, what's up with them?
dfort actually did make a try in the past without success back then, what was happening?

After taking a look today, I found that StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac is slightly different on 500D and 550D compared to 5D2 and 50D, it turned out to be a bit similar to 7D actually, which mean we need to patch the address for StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac like we did on 7D, also the addresses which were picked by dfort for StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac were actually not correct, and probably no one checked them in the past other than dfort.

-Adding support to 500D and 550D:

First define CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_PATCH in internals.h for each camera:
/** experimental - patch raw buffer parameters in Canon code */
#define CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_PATCH

Add these addresses in stubs.S:

500D:
/** LiveView RAW patches **/
NSTUB(0xff1f7160, StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac)            /* right before the SetEDmac call from StartImagePass_x1/x5 CrawAddr / KindOfCraw */
NSTUB(0xff1f7dc0, StartImagePass_x5_SetEDmac)

550D:
/** LiveView RAW patches **/
NSTUB(0xff242f10, StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac)            /* right before the SetEDmac call from StartImagePass_x1/x5 CrawAddr / KindOfCraw */
NSTUB(0xff243cc4, StartImagePass_x5_SetEDmac)

Do this tweak in raw.c:

#ifdef CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_PATCH
#if defined(CONFIG_550D) || defined(CONFIG_500D)
    patch_hook_function((uint32_t) &StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac, 0xE3A00010, raw_lv_setedmac_patch, "RAW LV x1");
#else
    patch_hook_function((uint32_t) &StartImagePass_x1_SetEDmac, 0xE3A03202, raw_lv_setedmac_patch, "RAW LV x1");
#endif
    patch_hook_function((uint32_t) &StartImagePass_x5_SetEDmac, 0xE3A03202, raw_lv_setedmac_patch, "RAW LV x5");
#endif

-Compiled builds for running tests:

magiclantern-Nightly.2023Dec26.500D111_V2.zip
magiclantern-Nightly.2023Dec26.550D109_V2.zip

Walter did some tests on 550D using mlv_rec.mo in 10-bit in 1080p mode, first clip was corrupted other were fine! (Thanks again).
For users who have 500D or 550D, please make recording tests in 12-bit and 10-bit in different video modes and frame rates, and don't forget to share you results!

Danne

Nice. Thought 10bit existed already on 5d2 but maybe not 8).
Is there any hope for lossless action  :P?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on December 26, 2023, 09:58:56 PM
Nice. Thought 10bit existed already on 5d2..

Thanks!

Yes, your thought is correct, Walter made some tests to verify if it stable on 5D2, he didn't have corrupted frames and LiveView was working during recording in 10-bit,
I read some reports that said LiveView will be frozen while recording in 10-bit on 5D2, also others reported clips with corrupted frames.

Corrupted frames issue might still be a thing today (not sure what is cuasing it, but it seems to happen sometime), we probably need more tests using both mlv_rec.mo (with mlv_snd.mo too) and mlv_lite.mo for now let's make the tests on 500D and 550D.

Can't give promises on lossless :P

Skinny

Awesome! I'll try this new 550D build :)

10/12 bits for 5D2 was there for a very long time, I almost never experienced any problems with the build on the "experiments" page. I have recorded thousands of clips with this build, it is very stable.

Quote from: Danne on December 26, 2023, 09:58:56 PM
Is there any hope for lossless action  :P?

Yeah lossless is something that could make a lot of difference for these cameras..

========

I have recorded a few clips, then battery died :D
It seems like they are perfectly fine! No pink frames or anything suspicious.. Tried both mlv_lite and raw_rec.
Up to 6 seconds with 1728x724 (max width 1,39 ar) 23,976 fps. This is actually not bad at all! With some slo-mo in post this camera could be used as a b-roll cam :)

And mlv_play doesn't work, it is counting but the frames are black.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for the tests Skinny, that's awesome!

Quote from: Skinny on December 27, 2023, 10:15:32 AM
And mlv_play doesn't work, it is counting but the frames are black.

Yes, same on all ML builds and models, you need to load raw_twk.mo to get 12-bit and 10-bit uncompressed MLV playback support (not sure how much stable the module is).