50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akumiszcza

Quote from: Da Vinci on September 08, 2013, 10:52:19 AM
offtopic disctussion is complaining of useless users here like you

me doing job about the title of the topic and you?

I like you too, Monti.

oc_masta

Does Andy600 have a guide up? been looking through this thread for it with no luck.

Also,
which tragic lantern build is comfortable running 1920x1080 in crop mode. I have a 90MB/s 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro for it to record on.
Also what are the recommended settings for it do so please. Ive tried ETTR off, global draw off but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andy600

Quote from: oc_masta on September 08, 2013, 04:11:30 PM
Does Andy600 have a guide up? been looking through this thread for it with no luck.

Also,
which tragic lantern build is comfortable running 1920x1080 in crop mode. I have a 90MB/s 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro for it to record on.
Also what are the recommended settings for it do so please. Ive tried ETTR off, global draw off but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nope, sorry I haven't had time to finish it and wanted to include some stuff about .mlv. Can't give an ETA on when it will be ready but there are other guides available that should give you lots of info including a free one for the 5D3 and EOSHD's 50D raw shooters guide.

The Aug27th build seems stable https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug27.50D109.zip

I'm uploading a newer build today with .mlv but I don't think you'll get any speed increase.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@1% - Can we lose the vertical black bars in crop permanently. They don't seem to help with speed and I'm always switching them off with DISP. I can't find the code. Can you give me a hint? :)

Also, I've been playing with a new build and crop centering seems better if you center in non-crop first. I think it wasn't working correctly on my previous build (not an uploaded build) so maybe I screwed up somewhere. I've also stripped out the start strings in some modules because they caused compile errors but bolt_rec still has problems. I've also changed your .mlv module to show as MLV Rec in the menu because it may confuse a few users if they have both loaded.

The new build seems better with .mlv but it's still marginally slower than .raw. It's totally usable but every shot seems to have a couple of corrupt frames at the start. I'd like to remove the black bars before uploading it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

oc_masta

oh ok, thanks anyway, if you could put it up as it stands, that would be EPIC of you and sure to help many others I assume. But I understand if you wouldn't want to.

mlv can be played back cant it?
i'm sure I have a codec installed for my pc's media player to play .mlv

Andy600

Quote from: oc_masta on September 08, 2013, 04:47:53 PM
mlv can be played back cant it?
i'm sure I have a codec installed for my pc's media player to play .mlv

No

oc_masta

Quote from: Andy600 on September 08, 2013, 04:48:59 PM
No

LOL I got it mixed up with mkv. I understand the abbreviation now, totally missed it.

1%

Quote@1% - Can we lose the vertical black bars in crop permanently.

If you want.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on September 08, 2013, 04:59:07 PM
If you want.

Doh! I was staring right at that bit of code too  ::) Just saw the commit. Thanks man :)

Andy600

New Tragic Lantern 50D build uploaded

This has the old raw_rec and new mlv_rec modules included. (mlv_rec is the new raw_rec module from g3ggo but renamed for Tragic Lantern).

You must now select which modules to load in the modules menu then reboot. ML will remember your selections.

Although you can have both MLV and RAW modules loaded you should obviously have only one enabled at anytime. The modules appear in the movie menu as usual. Settings are independent so e sure to set up each with your preferred settings.

MLV raw is currently for testing purposes at the moment. You will probably find your write speeds reduce a little but that's the trade-off for better metadata and exif info in the DNGs. You may also experience a couple of corrupt frames at the start of recording.

MLV video will need converting to .raw using mlvdump.exe (look at g3gg0's raw 2.0 thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0) or directly to DNG using @gnarr's mlv2dng app. See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0. .mlv files will be saved to your DCIM folder

5xCrop centering now works better. To use you should press the joystick once in normal (non-crop) mode to center the box (it take a moment to center). Then in crop mode press the joystick once again. A dialogue will appear momentarily telling you some coordinates.

The vertical black bars in crop mode are gone :)

There are various other fixes and tune-ups for ETTR, Dual ISO, Digic Peaking and other stuff. Sorry I can't provide a full changelist but a look through the commits will give you a rough idea of what is new/fixed/still problematic: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/commits/all

As ever, this code is brought to you by 1%, A1ex, G3ggo and the other amazing ML devs. I'm just compiling it ;)

Download: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.Build.2013Sep08.zip

Don't forget to move the extra folder containing raw2dng.exe and cr2hdr.exe to your desktop. These files are for processing Dual ISO and Raw video.

Don't ask dumb questions!! If you haven't kept up to date with developments USE THE FORUM SEARCH

savale

Awesome, I will try the mlv format when back home. Right now I am on holliday in Ireland. I shot some amazing raw scenes, which I will showcase when I am back home.
For now a test of one relaxing scene to test my workflow:

or for better quality, the download: http://www.savale.nl/files/rawTest.mp4

rawmania

Andy600

A little FPS Override raw video timelapse from last night  :)

PressureFM

Quote from: Andy600 on September 09, 2013, 05:28:09 PM

You are basically just using the raw_rec module to save shutter releases or?

Andy600

Quote from: PressureFM on September 09, 2013, 07:17:24 PM
You are basically just using the raw_rec module to save shutter releases or?

Yes. Also it's a quick method for doing timelapse. I could have shot full-res photos and used the intervalometer but that would have taken longer to set up. I'm gonna experiment with Dual ISO next time. I've already saved a config that's set up for this specific timelapse so I'm hoping for some more fog tonight :)

hugosilva

Could anyone help me with a "issue" I'm having with my 50d?
I've been recording raw with a 5D3 and recently went with a 50D for some aerial work.

- When using FPS ovewrite from 30 to 23.976 I get the maximum recording shutter speed at 1/120.  I can only record at above 1/120 when using 30fps, but in this case I need to lower RAW recording resolution to keep continuous recording.

Is there a workaround this? What I'm doing wrong here? I've been shooting at f22 in sunny day to get around this, which is not ideal..

Thanks!

1%

For some reason it won't let you set higher speeds even with ADTG shutters so I dunno whats wrong with it.

Andy600

Quote from: hugosilva on September 09, 2013, 08:50:57 PM
Could anyone help me with a "issue" I'm having with my 50d?
I've been recording raw with a 5D3 and recently went with a 50D for some aerial work.

- When using FPS ovewrite from 30 to 23.976 I get the maximum recording shutter speed at 1/120.  I can only record at above 1/120 when using 30fps, but in this case I need to lower RAW recording resolution to keep continuous recording.

Is there a workaround this? What I'm doing wrong here? I've been shooting at f22 in sunny day to get around this, which is not ideal..

Thanks!

Use an ND filter

araucaria

When you put it into jello mode it goes up to 1/2000, you told me a few weeks ago and it works.

dogmydog

Quote from: Andy600 on September 09, 2013, 05:28:09 PM

Very cool vid, Andy! Smooth moving.
I was about to ask you if you used a crane, but read the details and saw that you did it in after. :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

PressureFM

Quote from: Andy600 on September 09, 2013, 07:21:30 PM
Yes. Also it's a quick method for doing timelapse. I could have shot full-res photos and used the intervalometer but that would have taken longer to set up. I'm gonna experiment with Dual ISO next time. I've already saved a config that's set up for this specific timelapse so I'm hoping for some more fog tonight :)

Pardon my ignorance but ML does have a built-in intervalometer and exposure ramping. I suppose you a fine with the resolution downgrade  ;)

Andy600

Quote from: PressureFM on September 09, 2013, 09:56:15 PM
Pardon my ignorance but ML does have a built-in intervalometer and exposure ramping. I suppose you a fine with the resolution downgrade  ;)

Hey, it's 14 seconds long and was a spur-of-the-moment decision to try and capture what I was seeing. Maybe read the description on Vimeo  :)

It's not a serious attempt at a timelapse and resolution wasn't my first thought. I know what Magic Lantern can do  ;)

araucaria

I get a lot of hotpixels when doing timelapses at night with 0.2s shutter

Andy600

Quote from: araucaria on September 09, 2013, 10:47:55 PM
I get a lot of hotpixels when doing timelapses at night with 0.2s shutter

I did too. I used the hot pixel filter in Raw Therapee. It works but also does weird things to stars.

LEVISDAVIS

Working with latest Tragic Lantern... Had an instance today where Live View on Canon was flickering with random colors (not during record) (lasted about 2 - 3 seconds)... Exposure Override turned on... 23.976 fps... Global Draw On... 1/48 shutter... Non-Canon 2200 mAh battery... Komputerbay 64 GB 1000X... Raw_Rec Module... ISO 800... That's about it other than the fact that the camera had been turned on for about 10 minutes before the flickering occurred.

Decided to press record even though the screen was flickering... Fortunately, when I pressed Record and Raw_Record was activated the flickering went away. Not even a single frame was corrupted during a 2 minute take... Nice.

Won't be recording again till Thursday... Just looking to help, if possible. FYI: Love how the black side-bars are gone! Headroom is now accurate to the Canon LCD screen. Maybe it's just me but the past couple Tragic firmware updates were a bit off from the Canon LCD (shooting 1584x892 and was cutting off the tops of heads even though the framing left plenty of headroom - like title-safe distances for headroom... Hmm?)... Anyway, thanks for the Sunday compile Andy600 and for the latest updates 1%. Can't say enough how powerful the color-depth and image appears!
Levi S. Davis