50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

necronomfive

Just a few more tests.

KomputerBay 32GB card:

Full sensor in cropped mode (1592x1062): no frame drops. Excellent to choose framing at a later point, like Super35 mm.
5x zoom mode in 2.35:1 aspect ratio (1920x818) : no frame drops. Very nice, full HD shooting in Cinemascope possible!
5x zoom mode in 2.20:1 aspect ratio (1920x872): frame dropping. No 70mm aspect ratio available...  :P

Nachelsoul

Sorry guys for interrupting. I´am new in the 50D (purchased this evening) land and after reading this forum through 33 pages, I got a question I can not solve. In the fps override I cant not get 24fps exact, the closer I get is 24.001fps, I tweaked the timers but it was no possible. Is the 24.001 the real 24fps or not?. Thanks to all.

necronomfive

Turn optimize for -> exact fps on in FPS Override Menu.

GregoryOfManhattan

32GB Lexar and 64GB Komputerbay getting cinemascope
1920x720 with a build on Sunday (this mornings build is lower data-rate no more than 50MB/s on Komputerbay will not do cinemascope - things keep changing very quickly and there are few stable points).

makes a difference how the .raw file is processed.
for this type of thing, i use
ufraw-batch
have also tried RPP and Lightroom

ran a script to process through clips from Sunday - took 3 hours - have more to evaluate.

still noticing strange exposure and white balance shifts if i pan from bright to dark areas.
thought i had set ISO to daylight and locked other settings.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 04, 2013, 11:44:26 PM
32GB Lexar and 64GB Komputerbay getting cinemascope
1920x720 with a build on Sunday (this mornings build is lower data-rate no more than 50MB/s on Komputerbay will not do cinemascope - things keep changing very quickly and there are few stable points).

makes a difference how the .raw file is processed.
for this type of thing, i use
ufraw-batch
have also tried RPP and Lightroom

ran a script to process through clips from Sunday - took 3 hours - have more to evaluate.

still noticing strange exposure and white balance shifts if i pan from bright to dark areas.
thought i had set ISO to daylight and locked other settings.

Great job Gregory this is beautiful footage man, Keep up the good work can't wait to get my hands on this build. 

rockfallfilms

I did some more tests, this time with HDMI plugged in. I got strange pink frames every so often.

Recorded at 1592x896 at 25fps

Same settings with HDMI unplugged and it was fine.

briwil

Quote from: Rolfe Klement on June 04, 2013, 11:03:47 PM
Dear All

Put CF card with ML software into camera
Update firmware on camera - using standard canon menu
reboot camera - do this by power off and on

I have a quick question about this- the ML installation guide says the 50d needs to have the latest firmware (1.0.9) already installed before you can install ML; I purchased mine used, and it came with firmware 1.0.7.
I feel like I've seen a few posts about installation, and no one ever mentions updating the official firmware first; you do need to do this to get ML working on the camera, no?

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: briwil on June 05, 2013, 12:04:11 AM
I have a quick question about this- the ML installation guide says the 50d needs to have the latest firmware (1.0.9) already installed before you can install ML; I purchased mine used, and it came with firmware 1.0.7.
I feel like I've seen a few posts about installation, and no one ever mentions updating the official firmware first; you do need to do this to get ML working on the camera, no?

I bought mine used with 1.0.7 on it aswell, updated to official firmware first THEN installed ML. It worked for me.

On Another note, any word of get file spanning functional? I would love to do some narrative tests on here, or perhaps music videos. Not being impatient just trying to gauge the progress on that particular hurdle. It seems to be one of the bigger ones we face with 50D raw right now. Keep up the great work guys.

briwil

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 05, 2013, 12:12:49 AM
I bought mine used with 1.0.7 on it aswell, updated to official firmware first THEN installed ML. It worked for me.

Ok, just checking; I couldn't get mine to update the firmware, getting the famous "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again" message, not matter what card I used, or using EOS Utility. After scouring forums and seeing it happen to quite a few people over the years, and not seeing any solutions other than people saying they eventually sent their cameras in get checked out (and finding that, yes, there was a problem with the camera), I gave in myself and sent my new/used 50D that I got last week off to Canon yesterday to get looked at.
Just making sure I wasn't missing something in regards to this firmware thing.  :-\

Roman

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 05, 2013, 12:12:49 AM
On Another note, any word of get file spanning functional?

It seems to work for me already?

I accidentally recorded a file over 4gb yesterday, and I ended up with .raw and .r00

Then just recombined the files (in this case dv.raw and dv.r00) in Dos prompt with the command:

Copy/b dv.raw+dv.r00 output.raw

to end up with output.raw file which was over the 4gb limit.

Then I could output all of the files to DNG fine.

John-Jo

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 07:38:46 PM
Congrats John.. Great video look good @ 720p looks like a commercial.  You forgot to mention @Gregoryofmanhattan he put in a lot of work on this lastest build that we are currently using.

But of course!  @Gregoryofmanhattan deserves a big thanks! And A1ex, JulianH and pretty much everyone one here!!

Never sure who is on for ML / helping with code, or what everyone's specific involvement is... however great community to be part of and big thanks all round. I know ZERO about code so made sure to donate as a way of hopefully helping out.

Currently only issue for me being the 2 batteries I got with the 50D are shot. The "good" one lasts bout 10 mins. 2 generic replacements en route. Fast CF card next on the list!

Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

paulforte

Does anyone know how I can get all these things in one Magic Lantern build for the 50D:

1. Anamorphic Preview,
2. the 3x zoom, and;
3. Raw recording.

Is it even possible? THANKS!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Roman on June 05, 2013, 01:15:51 AM

I accidentally recorded a file over 4gb yesterday, and I ended up with .raw and .r00

Then just recombined the files (in this case dv.raw and dv.r00) in Dos prompt with the command:

Wow Roman you figured it out that's awesome, When you convert to DNG it streamlines perfectly with no glitches right? just one smooth conversion?  That is big new  ;D Gonna give it a try later to see how it goes. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: John-Jo on June 05, 2013, 01:17:41 AM
But of course!  @Gregoryofmanhattan deserves a big thanks! And A1ex, JulianH and pretty much everyone one here!!

Never sure who is on for ML / helping with code, or what everyone's specific involvement is... however great community to be part of and big thanks all round. I know ZERO about code so made sure to donate as a way of hopefully helping out.

Currently only issue for me being the 2 batteries I got with the 50D are shot. The "good" one lasts bout 10 mins. 2 generic replacements en route. Fast CF card next on the list!

You definitely right thanks to everyone contributing & this whole ML forum.  10mins is just a tease, when the new ones come in you'll be good to go. 

goldenchild9to5

So Roman if you have more that two spanned clips than you add another + right..

eattheblinds

and here's my first noob question: i'm trying to put the ML files onto my komputerbay 64gb CF and for some reason i can't even get my macbook pro to read the card.  tried the same card on my gf's mbp and it won't read it either.  is this a dead card or am i missing a step to make the card readable?

NOTE: the other CF card i have (an old/slow lexar that came with the 50D) works/reads just fine and allowed me to install ML 2.3.  haven't bothered to try to install the raw modules/autoexec.bin files on a card this slow.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: eattheblinds on June 05, 2013, 02:09:05 AM
and here's my first noob question: i'm trying to put the ML files onto my komputerbay 64gb CF and for some reason i can't even get my macbook pro to read the card.  tried the same card on my gf's mbp and it won't read it either.  is this a dead card or am i missing a step to make the card readable?

NOTE: the other CF card i have (an old/slow lexar that came with the 50D) works/reads just fine and allowed me to install ML 2.3.  haven't bothered to try to install the raw modules/autoexec.bin files on a card this slow.

Does your camera read it? Format the KomputerBay card in camera.  Press canon menu button and scroll to third option you should see it.  If that don't work than your CF card might be bad, or your card reader might not be working.   

eattheblinds

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 05, 2013, 02:27:56 AM
Does your camera read it? Format the KomputerBay card in camera.  Press canon menu button and scroll to third option you should see it.  If that don't work than your CF card might be bad, or your card reader might not be working.

yes, my camera reads the card and i'm able to format it in the camera.  but when i plug the card/card reader into my mbp...nothing.  even when i look into the system profiler there's no card. when i look on disk utility, again...no card.

goldenchild9to5

There might be something wrong with your card reader than, if the camera reads it it should load on your mbp..

eattheblinds

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 05, 2013, 02:58:09 AM
There might be something wrong with your card reader than, if the camera reads it it should load on your mbp..

i guess there's only one way to find out.  i've got a usb 3.0 card reader being shipped.  this doesn't appease an impatient man itching to shoot raw video.

goldenchild9to5

I feel you that's how I was waiting for my 50D and card to come in.  You gotta have a friend that have a spare CF card reader give them a call that's the oldest trick in the book. 

CaptainOfObvious

Wha?! I must of missed those developments, I tried joining on mac osx using unix command cat file1.raw file1.r00 > output.raw but raw2dng didn't recognize it.  :-\

I'll try booting into my windows partition and using DOS. Thanks Roman. If anyone has done it successfully on terminal I'd appreciate knowing that method as well.

artiswar

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 05, 2013, 04:04:10 AM
Wha?! I must of missed those developments, I tried joining on mac osx using unix command cat file1.raw file1.r00 > output.raw but raw2dng didn't recognize it.  :-\

I'll try booting into my windows partition and using DOS. Thanks Roman. If anyone has done it successfully on terminal I'd appreciate knowing that method as well.

I think RAW2DNG not recognizing it is due to an error in the footer. Fix the joined file in a hex editor (apparently) and it will read. Too busy with gigs but will test soon.

wesleydumont

Quote from: a1ex on June 04, 2013, 03:33:55 PM
ExpSim has only 3 values: off, on or movie. Canon movie mode on 50D is fully automatic, no manual controls.
Can you explain this for me? Does this mean that in all modes for 50D ML, there are no manual controls? Sorry if my newness is causing unecessary time to answer questions. thanks.