50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Aren't the flex cable connectors there for the mic... Or is the whole area unpopulated (just pads).

menoc

The 50D is taking on Godzila scales. Canon is so freaken lucky to have made this little monster. Otherwise we'd all have BMCCs . . .

menoc

1% . . . I will wait patiently for your discovery of 720P 60fps. . . . even if it's H.264...

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 11, 2013, 09:58:24 AM
I (finally) got spanning to work as well! Awesome, the only problem is I couldn't use Raw2Dng (OSX) to convert them, had to use RawMagic, does anyone know if raw2dng works with 50d spanned files yet? What did you use godlenchild?

This workflow is still a bit of a pain too, as RawMagic doesn't retain "as shot" white balance. So I then have to convert to tiff with RPP after some adjustments, then into MPEGSTREAMCLIP to output prores 444.

You got it all wrong actually RawMagic gives you the correct White Balance as shot without all that magenta tint we use to have before.. are you using @GregoryOfManhattan (08 Jun Unified Build) ?  And what version of RawMagic you using.. Beta 4?  Mine runs perfectly now we have Spanned files with correct White Balance. 

arrinkiiii

Quote from: menoc on June 11, 2013, 04:05:49 PM
The 50D is taking on Godzila scales. Canon is so freaken lucky to have made this little monster. Otherwise we'd all have BMCCs . . .

Indeed  ;D

menoc

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 11, 2013, 04:17:44 PM
You got it all wrong actually RawMagic gives you the correct White Balance as shot without all that magenta tint we use to have before.. are you using @GregoryOfManhattan (08 Jun Unified Build) ?  And what version of RawMagic you using.. Beta 4?  Mine runs perfectly now we have Spanned files with correct White Balance.

My workflow is with RawMagic and Resolve. For some reason the clips have a green tint when I open them in Resolve, but when I open them in ACR they're fine.

Have you guys encountered this?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: menoc on June 11, 2013, 04:45:02 PM
My workflow is with RawMagic and Resolve. For some reason the clips have a green tint when I open them in Resolve, but when I open them in ACR they're fine.

Yep they have a very Greenish tint to them, you right in ACR no problem it actually gives the correct White Balance.   

rockfallfilms

Quote from: menoc on June 11, 2013, 04:45:02 PM

I found the same thing so at the moment I'm sticking to ACR. I find the raw controls in Resolve pretty limiting anyway, I can get a much better result in ACR and it deals with moire better.

Ifani

dear community,
my simple workflow till now was: shooting; raw2dng; after effects -> import -> import as camera raw sequence.
but now after effects says: "after effects error: photoshop file format error (-30504)"

has anyone experienced the same or knows what that means?
may the raw clips on the cf card be destroyed in any way because i shot until the card's capacity maximum?
i didn't changed the workflow and i can open clips i shot before my last session this night.

thank you in advance

breaker

Have you tried to open one of the pictures in Photoshop? Or tried to open picture two or later of the sequence?
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Ifani on June 11, 2013, 05:24:30 PM
dear community,
my simple workflow till now was: shooting; raw2dng; after effects -> import -> import as camera raw sequence.
but now after effects says: "after effects error: photoshop file format error (-30504)"

has anyone experienced the same or knows what that means?
may the raw clips on the cf card be destroyed in any way because i shot until the card's capacity maximum?
i didn't changed the workflow and i can open clips i shot before my last session this night.

thank you in advance

Not sure what's going on but it seems like those files are corrupted.  I filled up my card before and the files were fine try and convert them with RawMagic if you using a Mac and see if you get the same results.  If you do get the same results than your files are definitely corrupt. 

Ifani

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 11, 2013, 06:00:16 PM
Not sure what's going on but it seems like those files are corrupted.  I filled up my card before and the files were fine try and convert them with RawMagic if you using a Mac and see if you get the same results.  If you do get the same results than your files are definitely corrupt.

@ breaker:
yes i tried. neither it opens in ae nor random dng's of different sequences cant be opened in ps.
a message pops up, that "the process can't be accomplished because the file apparently comes from a camera model which isn't supported by the installed version of camera raw".
yesterday everything worked fine.

@ goldenchild:
regrettably i dont work on mac and can't use rawmagic. but does anyone of you know an alternative to raw2dng for windows?
i'm not sure if the files are corrupted because i made a new test earlier and formated the card (except ML). the error is still present.
it is a pitty to invest a night in shooting instead of sleeping and not being able to see results :)
P.S. but every beginning is hard;)

thank you for the fast responses

necronomfive

Just tested the June 11th update with my KomputerBay 32GB card.

In 5x Zoom mode, 50D maxes now out at 67.7 MB/s.

On the other hand, 2.20:1 aspect ratio in full HD (1920x872) has now become possible with the 50D. Very nice! :)

necronomfive

I have to admit that the BMCC still has some serious advantages over the 50D (2.5k, SSD, Audio).

However, I see very little to no reason now, if you want to shoot RAW on a low budget, to buy the BMPCC. Even less every step we get closer to Full HD.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Ifani on June 11, 2013, 06:29:43 PM
@ breaker:
yes i tried. neither it opens in ae nor random dng's of different sequences cant be opened in ps.
a message pops up, that "the process can't be accomplished because the file apparently comes from a camera model which isn't supported by the installed version of camera raw".
yesterday everything worked fine.

@ goldenchild:
regrettably i dont work on mac and can't use rawmagic. but does anyone of you know an alternative to raw2dng for windows?
i'm not sure if the files are corrupted because i made a new test earlier and formated the card (except ML). the error is still present.
it is a pitty to invest a night in shooting instead of sleeping and not being able to see results :)
P.S. but every beginning is hard;)

thank you for the fast responses

Man I feel you spending a whole night shooting and not able to see none of the footage is crazy..  Here is what you do send me your smallest .RAW file I means smallest use this site to upload www.soshareit.com I'll check it out for you..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: necronomfive on June 11, 2013, 06:38:21 PM
Just tested the June 11th update with my KomputerBay 32GB card.

In 5x Zoom mode, 50D maxes now out at 67.7 MB/s.

On the other hand, 2.20:1 aspect ratio in full HD (1920x872) has now become possible with the 50D. Very nice! :)

Are you serious 1920x872 before it was 1584x720 that's great news is it stable?  Where did you find that build because @GregoryOfManhattan only posted the one from June 9th please send direct link wanna give it a run..  I love that aspect ratio. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: necronomfive on June 11, 2013, 06:41:45 PM
I have to admit that the BMCC still has some serious advantages over the 50D (2.5k, SSD, Audio).

However, I see very little to no reason now, if you want to shoot RAW on a low budget, to buy the BMPCC. Even less every step we get closer to Full HD.

I think the Pocket Cinema Camera is a better companion to the 50D. The BMCC is an incredible camera would still want to own one but M/43 version so I can fit a multitude of lens on there..   

CFP

Canon is so freaken lucky to have made this little monster.
Why do you think Canon's lucky? Canon doesn't earn any money if you buy a used 50D on eBay ;)

Instead, I guess they are pretty despaired since there's almost no reason left to buy a camera of their C-line ;D
If you have the cash, either get a 5D Mark III or a Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. Why should you buy a C-camcorder?

But it's nice to see how much progress has been made. And now 1% has a 50D too ...

I don't know. Hopefully Canon releases the 70D soon and gives it a CF card slot and the same aliasing reduction like the 5D Mark III ...

GregoryOfManhattan

Ifani and others -
there were brief and slight changes to the .raw file format over the weekend.
if you are using a newer build after 08June13 - you may need to update to the latest raw2dng based tools.

not sure about the converse situation of older .raw with latest raw2dng based tools.
if you have essential footage of a red wedding, you may need to carefully specify the versions of everything you are using - it you want help in recovering the event

also, for now do not mix and match raw_rec.mo from one build with an autoexec.bin and MAGIC.SYM from a different build (ultimately modules are intended to be modular, but there are many subtle ongoing changes)

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 11, 2013, 04:17:44 PM

Hmm, I'm Using Beta 4 (and june 9th files) and I still get the magenta tint on RawMagic. What's interesting though is that if I use Raw2DNG for a file under 4GB, take that dng and open it in RPP I can get "as shot" white balance just fine. I wonder what I'm doing wrong, for the fifth-tenth time.  -_-

CaptainOfObvious

Viente

Quick low light test on the way home tonight.

6400 ISO, 15mm f4...

Real cinema beast :)

necronomfive

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 11, 2013, 06:53:36 PM
Are you serious 1920x872 before it was 1584x720 that's great news is it stable?  Where did you find that build because @GregoryOfManhattan only posted the one from June 9th please send direct link wanna give it a run..  I love that aspect ratio.

With June 9th build, I could "only" do 1920x818 (2.35:1). 1920x872 is with the current June 11th build. In 1x mode, I could easily do 1582x1056 with all builds so far.

Just grab it on the first page of this thread. ;)

kr1st1an

Quote from: Chris50d on June 11, 2013, 12:02:24 PM
This might be interesting :O
looks like the 50d has a mic base built in :O

http://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/low.jpg
hello here

i have a 50d myself for a month now :) and may camera has not the place for the mic. so i think i could be an earlier version...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7pxzvrhzcacm84/2013-06-11%2020.01.45.jpg

by the way, great work you do here, and especially to Julian who simply bought the 50d on his cost an sent it to 1% and then asked for donation
really great community, and i will help as good as i can and have time (which is not much right now)

breaker

@ Ifani, can you playback the files on camera from Raw video Q-menu or in the file browser?
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D