550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpshooter

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: glubber on June 07, 2013, 11:03:30 PM
Ha! Just as i was quoting you, in order to give You a hint about FPS override, You gave yourself the right answer. LOL
Its not possible to vary shutterspeed in normal way while using FPS override. You can choose some variation of shutterspeed in Advanced options of override: opt for low light = 360°, low jello = 180°.

Yep ! Many thanks ! I solved by setting "Hi Jello, fast Tv" ! Now I can do the experiments I want to do. If someone wants to follow me, it's good ! So:

[1] Set raw video resolution to 1920x1080, 16:9 - 1080p FullHD standard - (you can achieve this by entering 5x zoom Live View BEFORE enabling RAW video)
[2] Set override fps to 5fps (the maximum our little 550D can do at that raw resolution without loosing frames) and enable, in the same menu, "Hi Jello, fast TV"
[3] Set shutter speed to 1/300 or so... however keep it high
[4] Film... try not to pan too fast, at least to do this experiment... because too jello will ruin the video

Then, you have a quite Jumpy video, but at least the frames are not smeared down by the 1/6 sec shutter speed that you are forced to without enabling "Hi jello, fast Tv" in fps override menu. But no problem: now fire up Twixtor and interpolate up to 24fps, then sit back and render. Then... good vision of the final product !

If someone will beat me publishing his results, he is so much welcome !  8)
(If it will work, I give you the permission to call it "dlrpgmsvc 550D RAW fullHD method) !  :P
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

moscow

Hahaha, dlrpgmsvc, It sounds great. Well, trying it now :D
:)

shawnwytch

I havent tryed the new memory fix update but for some reason today i went out on a colder day, and i got alot better frames and better qualityshots. I will install the memory fix soon to see how much of an improvement but i got 24fps almost upto full 720p. I was shocked, I bet i can get upto full 720 or more will test in a few. Im about to upload a video now
Modes used are 1152 x 384         1088 x 416           1280  x 432     

Theres so much detail in the clouds I love raw!

JuanIrache

Quote from: Alex546 on June 07, 2013, 09:30:50 PM
Thank you for the new version!
I get 1280x544 with 24 fps with Tragic RAW in 720p mode.

REALLY? You mean 544 after stretching from 326, don't you?

Native 1280*544 is the maximum I expect from our camera if we ever get 10bit Raw
Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 07, 2013, 11:53:05 PM
Yep ! Many thanks ! I solved by setting "Hi Jello, fast Tv" ! Now I can do the experiments I want to do. If someone wants to follow me, it's good ! So:

[1] Set raw video resolution to 1920x1080, 16:9 - 1080p FullHD standard - (you can achieve this by entering 5x zoom Live View BEFORE enabling RAW video)
[2] Set override fps to 5fps (the maximum our little 550D can do at that raw resolution without loosing frames) and enable, in the same menu, "Hi Jello, fast TV"
[3] Set shutter speed to 1/300 or so... however keep it high
[4] Film... try not to pan too fast, at least to do this experiment... because too jello will ruin the video

Then, you have a quite Jumpy video, but at least the frames are not smeared down by the 1/6 sec shutter speed that you are forced to without enabling "Hi jello, fast Tv" in fps override menu. But no problem: now fire up Twixtor and interpolate up to 24fps, then sit back and render. Then... good vision of the final product !

If someone will beat me publishing his results, he is so much welcome !  8)
(If it will work, I give you the permission to call it "dlrpgmsvc 550D RAW fullHD method) !  :P

I think twixtoring 5fps to 24 fps is waaay too much. I'm getting better results upscaling, rather than twixtoring from 12 to 24fps.

blazraidr

Thank you everyone who was involved in making RAW happen on the 550D! The video quality is so amazing, my jaw actually dropped when I saw the first previews.

The maximum I can get my 550D to record at RAW is 1280x432 at 22fps. This is not with the most recent build though. I'm actually satisfied with that resolution.

Here are a few of my tests.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: blazraidr on June 08, 2013, 10:07:46 AM
Here are a few of my tests.

Please, can you do again a comparison raw vs h.264 BUT with ML bitrate cranked up to maximum ? Or h.264 standard vs h.264 cranked to max with ML vs raw all in one test ! Nobody done this so far, so we can decide if raw is really Worth the work to assemble it ! Keep the comparison method you used in your previous test, also with the slanted stripe running across horizontally ! Many thanks !  ;)

Chagalj

Quote from: Alex546 on June 07, 2013, 09:30:50 PM
Thank you for the new version!
I get 1280x544 with 24 fps with Tragic RAW in 720p mode.

60 frames?

vincentparker

is it possible to to go for maybe a lower bit depth? or would this reduce the number of frames you can get in one shot?  i feel even 12-bit could be amazing. I know 14 = better quality but at the same time maybe we are trying to push ability too far for the 550D

otherman

Can someone post raw footage in 1280*xxx at 12fps with no zoom? (The file output from camera, without any modification)
I want to make some tests with Avisynth to find best way to remove aliasing, interpolate to 24fps, and upscaling to 1080p, but I've not a fast SD card right now.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: vincentparker on June 08, 2013, 12:33:09 PM
is it possible to to go for maybe a lower bit depth? or would this reduce the number of frames you can get in one shot?  i feel even 12-bit could be amazing. I know 14 = better quality but at the same time maybe we are trying to push ability too far for the 550D

You can follow the thread here : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg47379#msg47379   ;)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: otherman on June 08, 2013, 12:35:12 PM
Can someone post raw footage in 1280*xxx at 12fps with no zoom? (The file output from camera, without any modification)
I want to make some tests with Avisynth to find best way to remove aliasing, interpolate to 24fps, and upscaling to 1080p, but I've not a fast SD card right now.

Sure ! And when you managed to sort this out, let me know (send me a pm, please!) and also the community in the dedicated RAW post-processing thread ! Many thanks in advance ! Here is a sample file 1280x768x12fps ----> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46130896/1280x768x12fps.RAW     8)

Hint : Crop all the frames, first of all, before any intervention, to 1280x720, so you obtain 16:9 aspect ratio, good for 1080p that is 1920x1080 ! Take care !  ;)

Alex546

Quote from: JuanIrache on June 08, 2013, 05:25:51 AM
REALLY? You mean 544 after stretching from 326, don't you?

Yes I mean 326, streched to 544, Sorry! :-\

MaKsOZ

Is there a way to stop live-view from shutting down automatically after few seconds because everytime I record RAW video it happens and it's pretty boring !

Also I noticed that the RAW module doesn't save the last resolution setting I used, is there a way to keep the resolution by default at 1280*450 for exemple?

Thanks for the help

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: MaKsOZ on June 08, 2013, 05:40:03 PM
Is there a way to stop live-view from shutting down automatically after few seconds because everytime I record RAW video it happens and it's pretty boring !

You must go to Canon menu and find the automatic shutdown timer, then set it to a longer timeout or disable it. I have done the same by disabling it ! Good for photo works, no good for video works !   ;)

Alex546

Quote from: MaKsOZ on June 08, 2013, 05:40:03 PM
Also I noticed that the RAW module doesn't save the last resolution setting I used, is there a way to keep the resolution by default at 1280*450 for exemple?

Currently, the modules can't save data.

hammermina

hi guys

iam very sick in this days:-(but here is my 1280*544 Test.

sorry for bad cuts..

when my illness is gone i will shoot some max resolution test

and the good news the 550D has more power than 21.3mbs
i will work on this!!

otherman

Quote from: pooli on June 07, 2013, 06:30:10 PM
Hi, I don't understand. downloaded here is the new raw2DNG
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2DNG.exe
converts with stripes  :(

I've the same problem, with all version of raw2dng. Any suggestions?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: hammermina on June 08, 2013, 06:37:33 PM
and the good news the 550D has more power than 21.3mbs
i will work on this!!

wow ! but how you overcome the sd controller max speed  ? ???  :o
Give us some clues !  ;)

hammermina

@dlrpgmsvc

i didnt overcome the limit yet!!
but my friend the electronic hardware ingeneer says the the problem is by the controller.
we will disasample the controller from the rest and take look what we can do.according to the memory bechnmark the cam is defently faster than the sd controller!

MaKsOZ

laconiccrusader

here's my little 2:40 video, i tried shooting a lot of different things to test out how the RAW is doing :
landscapes, macro, people, buildings etc..

shawnwytch

Anyone having the problem when raw is enabled not being able to go from 5x to 10x then back to normal without camera crashing?

shawnwytch

Quote from: laconiccrusader on June 08, 2013, 10:34:16 PM
here's my little 2:40 video, i tried shooting a lot of different things to test out how the RAW is doing :
landscapes, macro, people, buildings etc..

that looks amazing the best footage I've seen so far good job