600D RAW Video vs H.264

Started by ShaneM, May 22, 2013, 01:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShaneM

I shot at 1152x500 and up scaled to 1080P. I have a class 10 32GB Transcend SD card.

3pointedit

Huh, there were clouds in that sky at the end! Nice comparo but I think that people should grade the flat style back to something similar to the RAW look. Make comparing apples to apples easier.

Shame about the odd pixel errors, are they dead pixels? And the moire on the roof, could you fix that with RAW processing? The upscale looks amazing BTW, seems like there is more detail than the H264.
550D on ML-roids

1%

Defect engine is on now so should get those dead pixels.

3pointedit

1% that would be awesome, if I didn' own a 550D  :'(

Does Defect engine work on silent pics too? They were very noisy as well.
550D on ML-roids

AndreyM

Interesting to see! H.264 looks overexposed. Definetly more color information in the RAW but not more pixel details. It looks like too much sharpened (like unsharp mask effect) so this moire and pixels are weird. 

If 600D and/or SD cards capabitilies not enough to write Full HD in RAW any chance to get low frame rate FULL HD RAW?
Even 5-8 fps in Full HD  RAW would be great addition to have for 600D !!!

Best Regards,
Andrey

kgv5

Suddenly everybody shows h264 as desaturated, overexposed and dull image.

Most people are using flat picture profile and forget, that they have to set the proper exposure, apply LUT, saturation and sharpness in post . In fact 1080p h264 with good bitrate setting and proper post production doesn't look so much worse (especialy for non pixel-peeping guys or somebody who just watch something from time to time).

Of course there is a lack of detail or color information but with the bitrate 4-5 times smaller it shouldn't be something strange. IMO raw recording is fantastic thing but impossible to use for everyday shooting due to time consuming workflow, HDD space and processing power. Maybe for a short films, music video, presentations  etc.
For now I would be also much concerned if I will have to shoot something very important (but it's due to the early version and some flaws which can occur).
ML did a fantastic job, I love RAW but .... I think we shouldn't depreciate h264 as much and still have to find how to squeeze maximum performance out of it.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D