60D not booting. LED comes on and stays on.

Started by pilkinn, May 21, 2013, 10:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilkinn

ML was working fine until tonight. Was playing around with bulb settings and I think I turned the dial to Tv and then the camera froze. It now will not startup at all. The only "life" I see is when the original SD card containing ML is inserted and the battery removed and replaced, the LED comes on and stays on. Nothing else happens. Is there anything I can do?

cyber3dx

Any luck? I assume it is back in working order.

pilkinn

No, totally dead. Should have paid heed to the warnings. Never again!.

Danne

Quite a while ago, assume you tested everything? Some people format their card in the computer, fat32, and that gets all cardbooting away but you probably done that.

pilkinn

Yes, I've tried everything I've read on the entire forum - for all Canon models. Tried the various autoexec files. Absolutely nothing has worked. I'm contemplating sending it back ot Canon for fixing but the cost is likely to be quite high I guess. But it's either that or literally dropping the camera in the bin - which would make me cry as the camera is in almost mint condition.

All I can say to everyone is REALLY think before using ML. Is it really worth risking it?. I won't be touching ML with a barge pole in the future.  All I wanted was a intervalometer mode without the extra kit. Be careful about switching modes on the dial whilst in the ML menu. This is all I did and bang, there goes £500 of kit!

Andy600

a1ex is probably the best person to help with this but he's not online atm (I think).

Don't panic! Worse things than this have happened on other cameras and been fixed through careful procedures.

It's understandable that you feel anti-ML atm but you are in a tiny minority. Most users never experience these problems and it's possible that the camera itself could have an issue but wait for a1ex.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

brapodam

Quote from: Andy600 on June 23, 2013, 04:16:01 PM
a1ex is probably the best person to help with this but he's not online atm (I think).

Don't panic! Worse things than this have happened on other cameras and been fixed through careful procedures.

It's understandable that you feel anti-ML atm but you are in a tiny minority. Most users never experience these problems and it's possible that the camera itself could have an issue but wait for a1ex.
Yup, I have switched shooting modes in ML menu before but nothing bad happened before. As with any custom firmware or ROMs or whatever, bad things can happen. Bad things happened to my phone before while flashing custom ROMs, many many times, but the devs always managed to troubleshoot the problem and guide me on how to fix it. It should be similar with ML. I've had some minor problems with the camera locking up before but a battery pull always fixed it.

Stedda

Quote from: pilkinn on June 23, 2013, 03:31:55 PMAll I can say to everyone is REALLY think before using ML. Is it really worth risking it?. I won't be touching ML with a barge pole in the future.

So you have no idea what happened and it's automatically Magic Lanterns fault.

Nice logic... I'll continue to enjoy these great features on both my expensive cameras.

All the people I've seen come on here and jump to the conclusion that ML ruined their camera ended up finding out it was a hardware problem. AKA Canons problem.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

pilkinn

I know it was something that happened whilst using Magic Lantern because I was in the ML menu at the time. Also, the camera sort of comes to life (the red LED lights up) when I have a ML card in the slot and insert the battery. It's almost certain that the Camera's internal settings are messed-up so it tries to boot off the card then gets stuck.

I'm not blaming anyone, it's my own stupid fault.

Danne

It,s been a month since this happened. Did you get any help from the developers?.

albert-e

Quote from: pilkinn on June 23, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
I know it was something that happened whilst using Magic Lantern because I was in the ML menu at the time. Also, the camera sort of comes to life (the red LED lights up) when I have a ML card in the slot and insert the battery. It's almost certain that the Camera's internal settings are messed-up so it tries to boot off the card then gets stuck.

I'm not blaming anyone, it's my own stupid fault.

Get a  new SD card, format {FAT32} the card on your PC or Mac. Insert the new formatted card (do not install anything ). There's definitely something wrong with the card slot.

Danne

My thoughts also. Bit you have tried with a fresh card right? Either fat32 formatted or simply a new card that you didn,t even installed magic lantern on at all?

pilkinn

Hi. I've tried a new card and a newly formatted card. If I put a ML bootable card in the slot and insert the battery the red light comes on and stays on. If I put the blinking LED debug autoexec file on it the LED blinks - so it's reading the card. If I use the autoexec that creates the log file - no file is created.

Vasja

Any news on this? Is camera dead? Did you try to send it to Canon?

lazypineapple

this is the exact same thing happening to my 60d.

Quote from: pilkinn on June 25, 2013, 07:09:57 PM
Hi. I've tried a new card and a newly formatted card. If I put a ML bootable card in the slot and insert the battery the red light comes on and stays on. If I put the blinking LED debug autoexec file on it the LED blinks - so it's reading the card. If I use the autoexec that creates the log file - no file is created.

shjh

same happened to my 60D today. i was in ML menu reading info/help about Bulb/Focus Ramping when suddenly camera turned off. now the only thing that happens is the LED light staying on (even when camera's power switch is Off)

Please help. has there been any solutions?

dmilligan

remove the battery and the SD card
re-insert battery
turn the camera on (with no card in)
does it turn on?

if not, remove/re-insert the battery once again
put the camera in C mode
does it turn on?
if so, try to get to the Canon menu and reset all camera settings and custom function settings (don't try to do anything else before you try to do that!)
if not, try all different modes and see if you can boot in any of them (remove battery each time).

if it still wont work, try these and contact a1ex