6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

You turned on dual ISO so your frames are OK  but its an extra PP step.

JCaldwell182

Awesome. Thanks. And yes, that solved it.

Another question, is anyone finding that the menu exist automatically after a short period of time. I'll be in the middle of adjustments and it returns to the main shooting screen.

boogotti84

yes this happens to me when in live view, but when in stills mode its ok

egorn

Quote from: boogotti84 on November 04, 2013, 12:19:57 PM
yes this happens to me when in live view, but when in stills mode its ok
the same problem! Please, write if You solve problem
(not in LV but in Video Mode)

6Draw

Hi, i arrived today here.
At first i have to thank noisyboy for this easy tutorial! It was quiet easy to follow step after step and make ML for raw-video work. THX! 8)
But now i want to report some bugs:

1st bug is, that the ML-menu flips back in LV after about 2 seconds.
2nd bug is, while recording in raw mode LV freeze after few seconds. 1536x614 @24p

Im using this Version:

"***Update - 24-08-2013 - Updated zip to contain latest module and Autoexec. This is probably the most complete version to date and has Dual ISO, Auto ETTR and Auto Exposure] etc. Again, this is NOT an official release"

What am i doing wrong? Does anyone have the same problems?
thx for your help!
6D, 600D, Tamron EF 24-70 f2,8, Tamron EF S 17-50 f.2,8, Sigma 30 f.1,4 Prime

1%

Menu has been covered, it times out with the canon dialog.

If your LV freezes then you have one of the hacked preview modes on perhaps. Keeps recording while frozen, right?

Yoda

Gents, quick question.  I'm considering moving up to a 6D, I wanted to get a feel on how you guys are liking RAW on your 6d?  I have it on 550D, but I want full frame.  I checked the forum online for max resolution for 6D, but it was blank.  Where are we at with max resolution for 6D in RAW?  Reason IM asking is because I'm wondering if 1900x810 is possible at 24fps?  Im looking for an "anamorphic look" using raw.

Thanks,

Yoda

1%

Its 720P or some variation of... if you're buying specifically for raw get a CF camera, don't waste your money.

leandroprz

Hi guys,

I just installed ML on my 6D by following the instructions on the first post, but I noticed that version is from last month. I guess there has been several bug fixes and changes since then and I was wondering, if I want to install the latest nighly build, I just need to download it from here and overwrite the files on my card? Or is there a different procedure?

Thanks!

6Draw

Quote from: 1% on November 08, 2013, 12:55:28 AM
Menu has been covered, it times out with the canon dialog.

If your LV freezes then you have one of the hacked preview modes on perhaps. Keeps recording while frozen, right?

i upgraded 2 hours ago to "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Nov10.6D113"

It depends on in which menu i'm trying to change something. only in
e.g. if i change the shutter, kelvin or exposure it keeps the menu holding on, but when i activate the raw video function
and change from 16:9 to 2:1 or change the resolution, than it takes less than a second and ML times out.
how can i change that? <- upgrade to "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Nov10.6D113"

Yes it keeps recording in freeze. (now only in resolutions higher than 1100)

THX

zuzullo

Can I use a WiFi card to install ML on 6D?

I am ready to start installing it but its the only card I have!

Thanks in advance!

6Draw

Quote from: leandroprz on November 09, 2013, 06:46:41 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed ML on my 6D by following the instructions on the first post, but I noticed that version is from last month. I guess there has been several bug fixes and changes since then and I was wondering, if I want to install the latest nighly build, I just need to download it from here and overwrite the files on my card? Or is there a different procedure?

Thanks!

I just overwrote the ML-folder and the autoexec.bin, put the card back in the 6D and rebooted the moduls. Works fine!

1%

QuoteCan I use a WiFi card to install ML on 6D?

I think the only problem with the wifi cards is some of them can't be made bootable. You would have to try and see if EOScard can do it and if the flags stay.

zuzullo

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 04:04:11 PM
I think the only problem with the wifi cards is some of them can't be made bootable. You would have to try and see if EOScard can do it and if the flags stay.

It worked fine :)
The Transcend 32Gb WiFi is bootable!
ML working fine so far.

leandroprz

Is it possible to remove the bootflag while on 1.1.3?

RTI

Quote from: leandroprz on November 12, 2013, 01:51:33 AM
Is it possible to remove the bootflag while on 1.1.3?

That thing bothers me too. I didn't find any info on 6D

EDIT, the search button does miracles...

Quote from: noisyboy on July 06, 2013, 04:49:28 AM
How fast is your SD Card? Could be a contributing factor. Did you have trouble before installing ML? Might be worth reverting ML settings back to default from inside the ML menu just to make sure you aren't accidentally smashing out some mad high bit-rates.

Try booting the camera while holding the SET button to bypass ML on boot (will make the camera boot up one time without ML).

As suggested - you can always just format your card from a computer and it wont run ML.

If you really need to clear ML completely then follow these steps (assuming you are on firmware 1.1.3):

1: Format a card (in your computer).

2: Copy the 1.1.2 Firmware from the zip in the guide on page one to the SD Card.

3: Pop the SD Card back in the camera and run firmware "updater" 1.1.2 to downgrade the firmware.

4: Power off camera and put SD Card back in computer.

5: Delete Firmware 1.1.2 from the Card.

6: Run EOScard from the zip in step one of the guide on page 1 of this thread.

7: Delete (don't format) the files on the card.

8: Copy the contents of the folder "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.2" from the zip in step one of the guide, onto the SD Card.

9: Switch the camera to "M" (MANUAL) shooting mode, put the SD Card back in the camera and power it on.

10: Run the firmware updater. What this will now do is run the Developer FIR that you originally used to set the bootflag to begin with and eventually take you to a screen which will prompt you to switch shooting mode to remove the bootflag. So basically, when you see this, turn the dial to "Av" mode. This will then do it's thing and say something like "Bootflag removed" and also ask you to power down the camera so go ahead and do that.

11: Now you can pop the SD Card back in your computer and format it and clear all the ML files off and also you might want to clear all custom settings within the Canon menu to be sure that it's all nice and squeaky clean again. Oh and feel free to re-update your firmware if you want.

If you want ML back then simply follow the guide again on page one of this thread.

Any problems let me know. Cheers  8)
Canon 5DIII| Sigma 35/1.4|T 24-70/2.8 VC| Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD

leandroprz

Quote from: RTI on November 12, 2013, 07:03:49 PM
That thing bothers me too. I didn't find any info on 6D

EDIT, the search button does miracles...
Yes, I know its possible by downgrading, but that wasn't my question.

random

How can I enable the cropmarks for the chosen aspect ratio and the expected frame max/buffer fields in the newest built?

And how does sound recording work? Even on less resolution it stops automatically after 5-30sec.
Anyways, I don't get any separated WAV ???
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

6Draw

Hi,
it's quiet a big step from H.264 to 14bit.
May it be possible to shoot in other codecs, between these two, like DNxHD or XDCAM HD 422?
I think this will maybe allow the 6D to shoot in 1080. Thanks for your Answers!

Yoda

Folks, I'm having a hard time getting an answer to my queries using "search"...so I'll just ask.

Anyone know how much the bit rate is on the 6D using the ALL-I?  Also, anyone know how much the cbr/qscale helps with the 6D?  Raw is nice, but a pain in the rear in POST......seems more logical to get a better bit rate using the standard codec.

Also, anyone know if 6D can get uncompressed HDMI out?  Can't seem to find an answer.

Cheers and thx in advance,

Yoda

egorn

Still have problem with ML quiting to canon menu :(
Please, 1%, if it possible solve it. It would be appreciated if you would check this. It is not very convenient to work with this. :'(

1%

For the menus, maybe I can just make it drop the scroll wheels instead of closing the menu.

QuoteAnd how does sound recording work? Even on less resolution it stops automatically after 5-30sec.
Anyways, I don't get any separated WAV

Don't try with raw. There isn't even enough write speed to get much above 720P sizes, adding 2 channels of audio makes it impossible. Maybe 6DII will have CF :)

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on November 29, 2013, 04:39:22 AM
Maybe 6DII will have CF :)

The annoying fact is - it's not about cf, there are plenty of high-speed sd cards around with even faster standards coming up, it's simply that Canon chose to put a very slow controller into the 6D :-\

iantodaro

has anyone used headphone monitoring in this build for the 6d? i've seen people saying that it's working and others saying that it's not.

WorkFl0w

I use headphones on the 6D and it is working.
5D Mark III
16-35mm 1:2,8L II / EF 24-105mm 1:4,0 L IS USM  / Canon EF 14mm/ 2,8/ L USM II