Komputerbay 1000x Cards - Benchmarks & Uncompressed video resolution

Started by Vegandelight, May 19, 2013, 04:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levinson

Hi.

Maybe if everyone tests under the same conditions you'll get a better idea of how your card is performing. Many members appear to be testing in different camera modes, which from my own tests gives largely varying results.

It seems there are many other things can can influence the test results too.

Check what "Mode" your tests are being performed under, it makes a big difference to your results. The mode shows up in the top part of the benchmark image/display.

Some have been doing tests in photo mode which tends to yield faster results than "movie" mode. To get the benchmark to show "photo" mode;

1. In camera mode (not video), press the info button so that your display shows the "shooting info" display similar the following image (these are not my exact test settings - just ensure that this settings preview is showing)

2. Turn off "global draw"

3. Do the "Benchmark read / write 5min test" immediately after formatting the card in the camera.

These are one of my results with the Komputerbay 64gb 1000x card while in "photo" mode.

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Kraemer

Question:  is the benchmark test supposed to end, or does it hang / stall on 99/100 each time?

Also:  How are you guys posting those screenshots of the 5D3 screen?

heartinhands

Kraemer,

The screenshot is grabbed from the card - it's saved in the root dir as "VROM.bmp" or something like that...

I'll retest my cards again later but I'm wondering if I should replace the 128gb with two 64gb's.

Thanks ya'll for the support!

EOSHD

Quote from: heartinhands on June 14, 2013, 11:25:36 AM
128GB

Your 128GB results are invalid as you ran the benchmark in playback mode. Run it in movie mode with live view enabled to get an accurate impression of how it will perform during raw recording. You will find it is slow - around 70MB/s, pretty much all the 128GB KomputerBay cards are. The 64GB cards are fastest.

Kraemer

Quote from: heartinhands on June 14, 2013, 07:01:18 PM
Kraemer,

The screenshot is grabbed from the card - it's saved in the root dir as "VROM.bmp" or something like that...

I'll retest my cards again later but I'm wondering if I should replace the 128gb with two 64gb's.

Thanks ya'll for the support!

Thanks all! :D

bosharpe

Hi everyone. Very excited to be trying ML on my 5d III! I've got a question regarding the benchmarking and I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can help.

I've bought 5 Komputerbay 1000x 64gb cards and I've been doing lots of benchmark tests.

One was DOA. The results with the others I'm getting aren't too great to be honest. The best performance from one of the cards at buffer=16384k was 88 MB/s.

The tests were conducted in movie mode, 1920x1080 25p, global draw on (Focus peak).

I then tested my Lexar 1000x 16gb card was quite interesting. Read was in the 700s but Write peaked at 12 MB/s

Am I performing the tests correctly?

Just out of curiosity I left my KB cards recording 1920 16:9 25p and the buffer didn't max out for any them. Is this a good enough though?

TobsenHB

Hello everyone,
I am new to the whole  ML Canon business and tried to shoot raw today the first time using the Komputerbay 64gb 1000x cf cards (new). Initially, it worked but after formatting them a second time (with mac to exfat), one card became completely undetectable and the other one last half its benchmark performance. formatting it again, made it even worse.Now this one is also completely useless.
Could anyone help? I am totally frustrated and couldn't find any answers online so far. Thx, Tobi

Walter Schulz

xNiNELiVES

ted ramasola

Quote from: TobsenHB on July 10, 2013, 08:36:43 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to the whole  ML Canon business and tried to shoot raw today the first time using the Komputerbay 64gb 1000x cf cards (new). Initially, it worked but after formatting them a second time (with mac to exfat), one card became completely undetectable and the other one last half its benchmark performance. formatting it again, made it even worse.Now this one is also completely useless.
Could anyone help? I am totally frustrated and couldn't find any answers online so far. Thx, Tobi

are you using USB 2.0 card reader? If so you could have corrupted your card. You have to use USB 3.0 slot and reader for these CF cards.

I was talking with KB techsupport about this and after installing a usb 3.0 addon card and reader I don't have corruption anymore.

You'll know its your reader when your camera and your computer can no longer format your card.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

kgv5

Guys

what about using usb3.0 CF card reader with the old laptop with only 2.0? Will this corrupt the card?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Midphase

I really haven't had any problems whatsoever formatting my CF cards to ExFAT using a USB 2.0 interface.

All in all I must have lucked out because both of my Komputerbay 1000X 64gig cards can handle 1920X1280 at 24p on my 5D3 without any issues. One of the cards sometimes needs to be warmed up a bit, and it helps if I turn off GD when shooting with it, but otherwise I'm a pretty happy camper!

Disease

Hi I have been having some real issues getting RAW to work and only just succeeded by putting my FPS down to 25 from 30. Now I get continuous RAW recording. This in on a Canon 50D btw. So I see the 50D can only do around 70mb/s I guess this is the problem?

My benchmark ALWAYS crashes in movie mode so I had to take a photo:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=347C6A875030A01A!136&authkey=!ALOn3gOFMXestu0&v=3

Here is the one taken in playback mode:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=347C6A875030A01A!137&authkey=!AFCcdvuBvkWCa8U&v=3

But it playback it goes up to over 100mb/s?
I am confused.

ch_d

Hello.
I´ve got the latest build (2013/09/20) installed and got a new Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card on my 5D2.
Here is the benchmark:

Not very exhilarating ...
(Why is there no chipset on it? Is this feature just for the 5D3?)

With 1880x1058 (24fps) i can get around 75MB/s with 1300 frames.
With 1728x972 (24fps) i can get around 75MB/s, at first it says "continuous" but than writing speeds are getting lower each second. (75.0MB/s ... 74.9MB/s ... 74.8MB/s ... ... even to 10MB/s)
Is this OK? Or should i send it back?
5D MII

xNiNELiVES

timetraveller

I have a Kingston FCR-HS3 card reader.

If I plug it with my Komputerbay 64gb 1000x to an usb 2.0 port, will it be corrupted or collapsed?

There's been reports of people who has fried their cf cards by plugging them to usb2.0 card readers, but I haven't found reports regarding the setup I'm suggesting.

Thanks in advance

chris_overseas

Quote from: timetraveller on November 13, 2013, 11:42:03 PM
I have a Kingston FCR-HS3 card reader.

If I plug it with my Komputerbay 64gb 1000x to an usb 2.0 port, will it be corrupted or collapsed?

According to the email conversation I just had with KomputerBay, that combination should be fine since it's the reader that causes the problems rather than the USB port. I posted more details here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg88538#msg88538
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

timetraveller

Quote from: chris_overseas on November 14, 2013, 12:36:04 AM
According to the email conversation I just had with KomputerBay, that combination should be fine since it's the reader that causes the problems rather than the USB port. I posted more details here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg88538#msg88538

Thanks a lot, Chris, I can finally download some footage to my computer....  ;)

I found this thread in which they give the same answer as you:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7535.0

javyelow

Hi everybody!! I buy a komputerbay 1000x 64gb, i hace a máximum writte speed of 91mbs in the canon 7d, is that ok??

Continuos raw for 1728x1156, buy i dont know why, i cant change this setting for higher resolution, is for the card??

Thanks a lot!!

Midphase

Quote from: javyelow on November 21, 2013, 02:01:00 PM
Hi everybody!! I buy a komputerbay 1000x 64gb, i hace a máximum writte speed of 91mbs in the canon 7d, is that ok??

Continuos raw for 1728x1156, buy i dont know why, i cant change this setting for higher resolution, is for the card??

Thanks a lot!!

91Mb is great, better than ok. You really only need 80-something Mb/sec anyway so you have room to spare.

1728X1156 is the maximum non-Crop mode resolution that the 7D provides, card has nothing to do with it.

javyelow

Hi! Trank you so much for the response!
O remenber that in other versións of ml i could choose more sices, why not Now? Even if it stops

tifose

jose_ugs

Turn off Live view and run the test. Although... i don't see what's the purpose of testing in Playback mode, you'll just get higher speeds and you'll be like: I wish i had these speeds in Movie mode...