Raw Burst on the 50D

Started by smeangol, May 18, 2013, 12:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Slightly OT  ::) but have any of you 50d users posted any plain old H.264 footage online. I'm getting mine tomorrow and want to see what the 1080p video quality is like compared to my 600d. I've only seen shaky footage on Youtube so I can't really tell. I presume for normal video that you would shoot in manual mode?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dacssfreak

Downloaded them, and added the two folders. Still no raw video option in my menu.
I guess i did something wrong. Maybe it helps if i tell you what i already did.

-Installed ML
-Downloaded Nomads autoexec and put it on the card
-added the MODULES folder to the CF card

Do i have to enable something on the camera itself?

Andy600

If you have the modules folder inside your ML folder (not root directory) you should be able to go to the Modules menu and load from there. The raw rec function will be in the movie menu. If it's not there it's not yet part of the nightlys. Go to the first post in this topic and try Smeangol's .bin - it should work
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dacssfreak

Okay i loaded smeagols autoexec. Im getting a result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mox01b8d7y0xdux/20130521_181909.jpg
But there is still no raw video option enabled in the movie menu

Andy600

It looks like raw_rec hasn't yet been ported, only silent pic bursts?

dacssfreak

So how did menoc get a real movie recording on his 50D?

Andy600

@dacssfreak - Silent pic DNG bursts by the looks of it.

@smeangol - are you trying to port raw video functions? I noticed you posted about an error. Maybe a kind dev can assist you with some advice as you seem to have got this far. @A1ex @nanomad @1% Anyone? ::)

dacssfreak

I still didnt figure out how do a silent burst. Is there somebody out there who could write a tutorial for inexperienced ML users? I think that would answer many questions in the ML community.

smeangol

my status:
I ported the video raw function on the 50D, the result is in the first Post:
To enable you need to copy [Modules]
http://www.smeangol.com/MODULES.zip
to your ML directory on your CF card -
Then go to the ML menu .. at the Top are the different categories .. like movie , debug, etc .. on the right side there will be a "M" .. go there and activate the "modules" -
Then go to the movie menu ..you will have to scroll down until you see new entries. Have fun! Should look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzSut7OP3RI

P.S. The Nightly build won't activate raw video (there is no "M" entry), i tried to compile the current code but then the raw video menu will freeze my 50D .. maybe is has something to do with my compiler (running windows)

P.S.S: All my raw video look like my sample :( , silent raw bust doesnt have this issue!

coutts

Quote from: Andy600 on May 21, 2013, 06:32:18 PM
It looks like raw_rec hasn't yet been ported, only silent pic bursts?
I pushed the stubs for the 50d yesterday, someone try it out

Andy600

@smeangol - the corrupt frames could be a result of your slow card maybe? BTW thanks for your work on this  :)

smeangol

@coutts - The current nightlybuild (21May) won't activate raw video (there is no "M" entry), i tried to compile the current code but then the raw video menu will freeze my 50D .. maybe is has something to do with my compiler (running windows)

@Andy600 - could be .. my CF cards are really lame .. i am only in the hurry to stop the recording before i get skipped frames ..

Andy600

there should be an auto stop. Is that part of raw_rec module or the main autoexec.bin?

Andy600

@smeangol - reading @A1ex's post (patch) earlier in this topic http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5481.msg37416#msg37416 it states that the 50d does not support display filters. Might have something to do with it?

Marsu42

Quote from: dacssfreak on May 21, 2013, 09:17:53 PM
I still didnt figure out how do a silent burst. Is there somebody out there who could write a tutorial for inexperienced ML users? I think that would answer many questions in the ML community.

Enable it in the ml menu, go into lv, keep half shutter pressed as long as you want to keep the burst running ... on my 60d the max is 53 frames @1737x1156, I guess the limit is the size of the camera buffer (correct?).

sm105

Could RAW burst work on the 40D since it has live view?

a1ex

The 40D has lv_save_raw inside, so it's likely to work.

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on May 21, 2013, 11:01:49 AM
@menoc - can you post a benchmark when you get your Komputerbay card?

Thought you might want to see the benchmarks for the cf card I'm currently using

Lexmark Professional 32GB 600x UDMA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uur9e0ee1pa4ndv/TEST.BMP?v=1rc-s

coutts

Quote from: a1ex on May 22, 2013, 07:00:45 AM
The 40D has lv_save_raw inside, so it's likely to work.
Cool - I'll get to work finding the edmac stubs now.

Andy600

Shall I start an official topic for the 40d/50d port?

It's great that @Smeangol has reached a certain point but he is having a few issues with raw_rec and could use a few pointers (see his previous replies). I'm getting my head around the basics of compiling but I can't code so it would be great and very much appreciated if any developers are willing to spend a little time helping out with these camera bodies as they have a lot of potential for raw video.

ilex

It could unify the threads RAW video and ML for 40D?

The thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1452.0 is stopped for more than one month.

menoc

CFP

Niiice benchmark!!! So the 50D really is a cheap 5D Mark II  :D

Which card was that?

Andy600

@menoc - Thanks :) That's not too bad at all. I'll be amazed if the Komputerbay card goes much higher. Just doing the math and I reckon a fast CF will handle full sensor raw video from the 50d, maybe even in crop mode if the card and controller can get to 90MB/s.

BTW I've started a thread for raw video on the 40d and 50d: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg38778;topicseen#msg38778

Andy600

@CFP - the CF speed certainly is a match but not the sensor unfortunately. It will still probably beat most rebels though. Itching to find out tonight :)