Raw video on 5DMK2

Started by olik, May 15, 2013, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassianog

I want to tanks all the developers and suporters... the raw video in 5DM2 it´s really amazing.

That´s a simple test with a Canon 5D Mark II.
I just did 3 shots in low light conditions from my window.
All videos shot with 24-105 Canon - F4.0. Shutter Speed 50. ISO H1. Recorded in a CF Sandisk 16 GB 60 MB/S.
Shooting:
First Video in H.264 - size 1920 x 1080
Second using ML RAW, 16 FPS (FPS override) and
converted to 24 FPS with Quick Time 7 - size 1880 x 1058.
Last video using also ML RAW, but with 25 FPS - size 1440 x 810 (upgrade to 1920 x 1080 in the final video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PVTER5OUSAE

"Youtube tells me it's private."

Is not anymore private!  :)

avasarin

Quote from: cassianog on June 03, 2013, 05:34:58 AM
I want to tanks all the developers and suporters... the raw video in 5DM2 it´s really amazing.

That´s a simple test with a Canon 5D Mark II.
I just did 3 shots in low light conditions from my window.
All videos shot with 24-105 Canon - F4.0. Shutter Speed 50. ISO H1. Recorded in a CF Sandisk 16 GB 60 MB/S.
Shooting:
First Video in H.264 - size 1920 x 1080
Second using ML RAW, 16 FPS (FPS override) and
converted to 24 FPS with Quick Time 7 - size 1880 x 1058.
Last video using also ML RAW, but with 25 FPS - size 1440 x 810 (upgrade to 1920 x 1080 in the final video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PVTER5OUSAE

Youtube tells me it's private.

Quote from: Africashot on June 02, 2013, 07:33:18 PM

I finally managed to get my first real world project done in RAW
Well done! Just to know, how have you expose for the sun and sky? Have you over- or underexpose to get it right?
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

avasarin

Quote from: mageye on June 02, 2013, 02:20:21 PM
I am assuming that you are getting the 'Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file' error.

I get this if I use the raw2dng.app.0.10. If I use the raw2dng.app.0.5 it will work. Try it. ;)
Thank you, version 0.5 works properly. Now I pushed my tests a bit far, I recorded a full 16Gb CF card with a 1880x800 RAW capture. The recording looks fine, no errors or dropped frames.
I used a 16Gb Extreme pro Sandisk card, with Global drawn OFF, and I changed the photo mode to the lowest quality S 5.2Mb, Raw off.

Now I'm joining all the files and I'll see the results in AE. If this works fine, well... :D :D
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

Africashot

Quote from: avasarin on June 03, 2013, 07:28:28 AM
Well done! Just to know, how have you expose for the sun and sky? Have you over- or underexpose to get it right?
Thanks! Not in this case; that shot was simply shot right at the sun, what you see is the full dynamic Range the DNG's provide, we only used the ISO shifting over / under exposure (HDR video) function for the bath tub scene.
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

Quote from: noisyboy on June 02, 2013, 08:10:38 PM
Horray! A video that is of something other than moss ;) This is stunning dude well done. As is the rest of your work! What res did you  shoot this with by the way? Nice to see you don't have such a massive deal with moire and aliasing with this. Yeah it's there in places but the water and sand for example I would expect to be horrific!

Ps. You ever need a hand shooting dream villas - you got my number right? ;)
Thanks a lot, feels really good to hear that! I mostly shot it in 1720 at 2.35:1 aspect ratio, some shorter scenes at 1880x800 (my card doesn't hold up for long at this res., probably no more then 400 frames, for now it is just more 'comfortable' to shoot at 1720...) The moire is there, in some scenes I used the moire filter in ACR, applied it to the entire image and imported two layers, one with moire and one without and then masked only the affected parts, key-framing the mask later in order to animate it... not ideal but it is a workaround. The weird thing is that the moire didn't appear as much in the areas I actually expected it to be, but rather in some irregular patterns like the foliage of trees, etc...
Unexpectedly I found the aliasing a more sever issue to deal with, I had to discard a scene that had a power line running through the sky, it really looked like coming out of a video game from the 80s... completely unfix-able!
Ps.: if you ever happen to hang around East Africa, give me a shout and consider it a deal!
ML 5D2 & T3i

mihaii

What is the best performance / price ratio for a CF to use RAW?
I saw that the alternatives are Lexar 1000x, Toshiba 1066x, Komputerbay 1000x, Transcend 1000x, Sandisk 60 or 90MBps

Since 5D2 hardware is limited at about 65MB/second there's no point in getting a Lexar or a Toshiba.
What would be the next best thing to use raw with this ones?

Thanks,
MIhai

mvejerslev

I use a sandisk extreme pro 90MB/s 32GB card. It does 1880x800, but not much above that. The 90MB/s is just marketing speak. It writes about 60MB/s.
5D Mark II, PC

makomoulage

Hi there,
I'd be grateful if someone could explain me why I do have so much aliasing visible ?
Thank you

a1ex

mhimhi

Hello!! Does anybody knows how to set the resolution? Because my sandisk @60mbs can't do 1880x800. Shall i dowloads another one? thanks! :)

NitromanX

@ makomoulage

I don't think the aliasing is at all bad on that clip ! It's a 5D2 and the camera is prone to some moire / aliasing.

I think the raw footage is incredibly sharp which can make aliasing more apparent. However, I see aliasing and moire on tv all the time ... most of my clients don't even know it's a problem most of the time.  ;D

leo

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I tried to install the Magic Lantern firmware, however, I keep on getting this message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" any clue about this? I would really appreciate all the help. I follow the instructions from http://5dfilmmaking.com/05/how-to-shoot-raw-video-on-your-5d2/

reddeercity

Quote from: mihaii on June 03, 2013, 04:57:43 PM
What is the best performance / price ratio for a CF to use RAW?
I saw that the alternatives are Lexar 1000x, Toshiba 1066x, Komputerbay 1000x, Transcend 1000x, Sandisk 60 or 90MBps

Since 5D2 hardware is limited at about 65MB/second there's no point in getting a Lexar or a Toshiba.
What would be the next best thing to use raw with this ones?

Thanks,
MIhai

There really isn't a alternatives to the Lexar 1000x card right now ,
even with the limitations of the 5D2 @ 65 MB/s
you will never get full Res. with anythink else.
Because it's  Always Better to have too much Than Not Enough.
I have seen read write speed on a 5D2 in the range of 60 to 75 MB/s :o
I use Lexar 1000x 32 GB card & i can get 1880x854 24p@ 65.3 MB/s
on full card record with only 1 buffer Star! & no frame drop
With Memory you Pay for what you get! Alway buy the best card money can buy 
because you only have one chance to capture that moment  :) 
here is a sample of that recording.

reddeercity

Hello All  :)
With the 5D mark ii
i was interested to see how good the Raw DNG image is, in term of scalable.
So i took 1880x854 24p DNG file import to photoshop and upscaded to 4096 x 1861
maintained the 240 dpi, 16 bit tiff, Basic White Balance & Color Correction

when you play the video in the small screen you will notice moire & aliasing
But thats only in the small player go to full screen and there is no
moire & aliasing.
The Original file on the image quality tab is the 4K mp4 i uploaded .

sennn

Finally got around and bought a 1000x card so here is a small test shooting some flood scenes in Budapest.

Everything was done in after effects + camera raw when importing the sequances, I still need to figure out a lot of things with this workflow but so far I'm happy with the results.

mihaii

sennn, what card did you bought? how many frames can you get in different resolutions?

sennn

Quote from: mihaii on June 07, 2013, 07:34:19 PM
sennn, what card did you bought? how many frames can you get in different resolutions?
Transcend 32 GB 1000x, at 1880x800 I can record until the card fills without skipping frames (or atleast assuming, never recorded that long yet, but buffer is max 3-4 stars even after 2500 frames) at 1880x1050 i can get around 200-220 with the jpeg quality buffer size change, about 160 with raw. 

holmesks

Removed post - sorry found entry in Movie menu!

mhimhi

Hello!! Does anybody knows if recording croppedd on 5dmk2 gives a lost quality? Seems to me yes... On 5dmk3 it says not..

togg

Quote from: sennn on June 07, 2013, 08:32:24 PMi can get around 200-220 with the jpeg quality buffer size change, about 160 with raw.
I'm a total noob. What is this buffer size change?

Will@Elevate

Quote from: Africashot on June 03, 2013, 10:06:14 AM
Thanks a lot, feels really good to hear that! I mostly shot it in 1720 at 2.35:1 aspect ratio, some shorter scenes at 1880x800 (my card doesn't hold up for long at this res., probably no more then 400 frames, for now it is just more 'comfortable' to shoot at 1720...) The moire is there, in some scenes I used the moire filter in ACR, applied it to the entire image and imported two layers, one with moire and one without and then masked only the affected parts, key-framing the mask later in order to animate it... not ideal but it is a workaround. The weird thing is that the moire didn't appear as much in the areas I actually expected it to be, but rather in some irregular patterns like the foliage of trees, etc...
Unexpectedly I found the aliasing a more sever issue to deal with, I had to discard a scene that had a power line running through the sky, it really looked like coming out of a video game from the 80s... completely unfix-able!
Ps.: if you ever happen to hang around East Africa, give me a shout and consider it a deal!

beautiful work there africashot, well done!

Africashot

ML 5D2 & T3i

pholler

The latest build from a.d. (Jun 08) is amazing! The achievable writing speed on my Sandisk Extreme increased by 20% (40 MB/s -> 48 MB/s). This is a big step! I am looking forward to test this new build with a Lexar 1000x in the next days. It looks like 1880x1250 or 1880x1058 seems to get in reach on the 5D2.

sennn

Quote from: togg on June 09, 2013, 03:18:16 AM
I'm a total noob. What is this buffer size change?
If you change the photo quality to jpeg s from raw you get more buffer "space", therefore you can record a little bit longer.