DNG vs RAW Hi ISO Test

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 02, 2013, 08:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

Update:  NOTE: This results may be wrong!  I now believe the difference is due to shutter speed of "silent picture".  In this case the DNG photos would have been taken at shutter speed of 1/31 which would be approximate equivalent of 30 fps while the RAW image was taken a 1/160 s.  In this manner the silent picture mode would have allowed more light to the sensor and produce less noise.  I am not sure what happen to ISO but probably it is a case of ETTR which improve the image IQ.  I originally thought that the "silent picture" shutter speed was determined by my setting Tv but I think this is set in the FPS override module.. 

Maybe Alex can confirm my erroneous findings?? 

-----------------------------------

Camera 5D3, Lens Canon 300 mm f4  IS L
Here are the test subjects at  1.6s, f4, ISO 125

I did not see any important differences at low ISO so this comparison is skipped but...

Now at 1/160, f4 ISO 25000
Processed with PS no editing, sharpening 0, cropped and resized to 640 pix width.
Tested full RAW (5760x3840) vs DNG (3592x1320) vs DNG (1928x1285)

Same as above with post to remove noise, etc,

Conclusion: DNG is superior in color, noise, and sharpness! Wow!!!!!

Is there a possibility that this process could be implemented outside LV to obtain cleaner images at full resolution at high ISO in DNG?  Then 5D3 IQ = 1DX!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

I think the 2 modes have different ways to read the sensor. Raw is line by line and DNG skips lines.

Rush

Quote from: 1% on May 02, 2013, 08:34:20 PM
I think the 2 modes have different ways to read the sensor. Raw is line by line and DNG skips lines.
Wait, but DNG 3.5K is not skipping lines! (I read it on EOSHD)
So why it so much cleaner  ??? In-camera noise reduction for DNG?
Greetings from Russia!

Shizuka

even if you do match shutter speeds, the dng doesn't have adobe's NR calibrations baked into it. you'll find that the DNG denoising is significantly weaker than a CR2 unless the DNG has metadata that identifies a (profiled) camera.

1%

DNG res is smaller than sensor res but still has a whole image, obviously its still skipping.