uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Anyway to to format the camera in camera, while keeping Magic Lantern?
Im talking about the latest compiled May 16th build

platu

Quote from: platu on May 16, 2013, 06:02:39 AM
That's correct... the camera will respect whatever compatible format the card is using.  So formatting my exFAT card in-camera maintains exFAT.  FYI... the benefit of exFAT will be when the ML folks enable >4GB raw files.  Fat32 only supports files up to 4GB...  exFAT has no such restriction.  This may be a moot point if the ML folks decide to create separate 4GB files instead of one larger file >4GB for long takes.  I see the pros and cons of either approach so ideally it would be a configurable option.

I actually need to correct what I just said.  It seems that when formatting my CF card in-camera, the 5D3 uses Fat32 for cards up to 128gb, but switches to exFAT for cards larger than this.  It's in canon's documentation and I verified this behavior myself by first formatting my card in my computer using exFAT and then formatted in-camera... the file format was switched to Fat32.

This can be quite problematic for all people using cards up to 128gb (the vast majority) who need to record Raw files larger than 4gb and still be able to format in-camera.  Doing that would revert the card back to Fat32.  I am unaware of any method of changing this camera behavior.  So for future prospects of recording 1080p longer than 30 secords or so, you would have to format via computer using exFAT and be sure not to ever format in-camera.  Unless the ML team could override this behavior when formatting, the best option would probably be to automatically create additional 4gb raw files on the fly for longer takes.   Anyway, just thought I'd share this observation.

Fergus Kennedy

Hi Folks,

First of all- massive thanks to the developers- I'm so excited about this and can't wait to get it running.
Apologies for what may be a stupid newb question, but I'm having trouble getting the RAW capable ML on my 5D Mark III. In the past I've had previous alpha version on it no probs.
This time I've been following all posted instructions to the letter (I think!). Canon firmware 1.1.3, camera on M, etc. When I load the bootflag.fir I get an  error message - could not find ML files, followed by a series of other messages, then some garbage half way up the screen, which stays there. Is this normal behaviour?
Moving onto the next steps, I have deleted the bootflag file and added the ML folder and autoexec file. Plus made the card bootage with EOScard, following the instructions for that. When I load it up, nothing happens when I press the trash button.
I have tried several different SD cards and have cleared all camera settings and have even tried reinstalling the Canon firmware.
HELP- it would be fantastic if someone had any idea where I am going wrong, or anything else to try as it's driving me nuts!
Cheers

g3gg0

Quote from: platu on May 16, 2013, 08:31:55 AMrecord Raw files larger than 4gb

as only few cameras support files > 4GiB, we will probably not use that feature, but use file splitting instead.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Vegandelight

Quote from: KMA_WWC on May 16, 2013, 04:20:23 AM
I feel like you were siting next to me and seeing what I saw :) I have/had same issues like you did. I got my Komputerbay card and the speed vary between 60-72mb/s. I haven't tried the new build yet, but that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully its as good as other people say or at least better.

My personal observation about this whole thing:

I think right now not just everyday, but almost every hour or so there are new improvements in the firmware. I like the fact that most of the bugs can be fixed or worked around. I personally think installation and whole post workflow isn't as hard as some people describe it. It only took me 10min to downgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.1.3 and then install everything needed. Yes, post workflow is time consuming, but overall i think within a certain time that would be worked out too. I really like where everything goes and hope to contribute and help.

Also, I just tested the SanDisk extreme pro 32gb CF card and I was actually able to shoot at 1080p (1920-1080 exact) with that card until it reached 4gb. I had only 9 skipped frames (to be honest not 100% if it skipped any frames at all). Test shows the write speed around 74-88mb/s. Its much faster than my brand new komputerbay 128gb 1000x even though on paper komputerbay supposed to be better. All those test were done with an old build and I'm pretty sure after I install new build it would be much better.

QUESTION: Where do I send/attach the list of bugs I encountered also log infos?

I think it might be the bigger Komputerbay cards that has problems with speed. I got the 32gb and havent had any dropped frames on 1920x1080. And im running the May13 build.  I havent been able to do bigger than 4gb files tho.

platu

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 16, 2013, 09:59:22 AM
as only few cameras support files > 4GiB, we will probably not use that feature, but use file splitting instead.

Makes sense... thanks.

maxpyane_2k6

Does anyone able to shoot raw video at 23.976 on a 5D Mark II??

KenFTW

I'm using a sandisk extreme pro 95mb card (just in hopes of getting peak performance from my cam) on my 600d and this new build is far better than the one from May 13th! Shooting at 1280 x 320: 11 of 544 frames were unusable and that in and of itself makes me drool. I'm more than confident that the ML and new found contributors will make this one for the history books! Congrats and DONATE!!!

Africashot

Quote from: maxpyane_2k6 on May 16, 2013, 10:55:54 AM
Does anyone able to shoot raw video at 23.976 on a 5D Mark II??
There are several threads about this, like this one: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5419.msg35576;topicseen#msg35576
Mine does continuous 23.976 only at 1280x720, but between 280 - 350 frames in 1880x720. In any case I only have tried on a SanDisk 60mb/s card, thus faster cards may do 1880x840 or more.
On the bottom line I am quite happy about this already, I am used to compromising  on 720p if I have to shoot higher frame rates with other cameras, ones upscaled it looks just as good (or bad) as h.264 but with the extra dynamic range and color depth, if the full width (1880) could be rendered at an aspect ration of 2.35 rather then the current 2.6 I'd be a happy camper shooting anamorphic style cinemascope till either I or my good old 5D2 die!
ML 5D2 & T3i

Peter Linov

I do not have the 1000-х  flash card. But on 400-x  working well with 1920х720!
500мм f6.3,  SIGMA150-500...

If you are interested in an uncompressed download here:
http://yadi.sk/d/YJZ82AMJ4t7Ac

Kuky

Quote from: Peter Linov on May 16, 2013, 11:45:14 AM
I do not have the 1000-х  flash card. But on 400-x  working well with 1920х720!
500мм f6.3,  SIGMA150-500...

http://yadi.sk/d/YJZ82AMJ4t7Ac

How ?? On a 5Dmk3? You are not skipping any frame on long shots?

Using Commit b6c2ae6 on a 5Dmk3 I'm able to do max 1920 x 680 on a Lexar Professional 600x UDMA 16Gb card. From 1920 x 700 it begins to skip frames.

But DNG files can't be opened! Help!

Andy600

TIP - This is useful for calculating aspect ratios (if you don't know them) http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/screen.php

It's very easy. Just select the aspect ratio i.e. 2.35 = Cinemascope, enter either the width OR height (not both) and it will calculate the missing dimension for you.  :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Mr. Propaganda Guy

Quote from: 1% on May 15, 2013, 10:40:46 PM
7d probably == 5d2

But g3ggo said the raw image is on the other proc so harder to get at.. which is why its not done.

Real Amazing work Magic Lantern Crew!
If you guys get this running on the 7D, "Hope you do" you think it'll be possible to use the 2nd processor to add compression to the RAW? If so, what compression, Mjpeg, Prores, DNxHD? 
That would be Shweet.

xvince1

Hi to everyone there, and off course, a massive thank's to the ML team... for what's coming, and for what's allready done since the first ML releases...

I Just register to clarify some things :

- So if I've well understand : if the CF is in exFAT formated, we can record files beyond 4Gb ? is that correct ?
- To everyone here, if it can be more precise : actual benchs on CF rates RAW are using audio or not ?
- with H264, I got breaks up around 2.3x (without audio) on a 600x komputerbay CF, is it coming from digic or buffer overwhelming since the debt are much lower than RAW ?
- The picture styles (cinestyle / landscape etc etc) are still used on RAW footage or not ?

As a noob, I'm waiting for a stable release to test on my mk2... So happy to read this threads... THANK'S AGAIN !!!  ;)

Peter Linov

Quote from: Kuky on May 16, 2013, 12:20:54 PM
How ?? On a 5Dmk3? You are not skipping any frame on long shots?

Using Commit b6c2ae6 on a 5Dmk3 I'm able to do max 1920 x 680 on a Lexar Professional 600x UDMA 16Gb card. From 1920 x 700 it begins to skip frames.

Yes, I have no problem with the 400x at 1920х720.
I use a flash card Transcend 64Gb
Here's another video on my street:

http://yadi.sk/d/G0lQEtqk4tG56

xvince1

Quote from: Peter Linov on May 16, 2013, 12:34:30 PM
Yes, I have no problem with the 400x at 1920х720.
I use a flash card Transcend 64Gb
Here's another video on my street:

http://yadi.sk/d/G0lQEtqk4tG56

RAW dynamics are very impressive... No differences between RAW / H264 shooting parameters, I presume ?

Peter Linov

parameters are the same for both videos!
there is no difference
diaphragm 8
  shutter 500
  iso 125

Kuky

Quote from: Peter Linov on May 16, 2013, 12:59:22 PM
parameters are the same for both videos!
there is no difference
diaphragm 8
  shutter 500
  iso 125

shutter 500 ?

Alia5

Absulutely ZERO(!) magenta stuff when shooting 720x400 on my 600D with new raw_rec.mo
fantastic!

Yomommassis

I cant really contribute much to the cause..but if it helps a way to help automate the raw2dng process:

1. create a .bat
2. paste in the location of your raw2dng.exe   (ie. mine is C:\Users\John\Desktop\RawFootage\raw2dng.exe)
3. add %~n1.raw to the end of the line   (ie. C:\Users\John\Desktop\RawFootage\raw2dng.exe %~n1.raw)

this allows you to simply drag n drop the .raw onto the .bat and immediately convert without having to open a cmd and type anything

Hope this helps
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Alia5

Quote from: Yomommassis on May 16, 2013, 01:14:44 PM
I cant really contribute much to the cause..but if it helps a way to help automate the raw2dng process:

1. create a .bat
2. paste in the location of your raw2dng.exe   (ie. mine is C:\Users\John\Desktop\RawFootage\raw2dng.exe)
3. add %~n1.raw to the end of the line   (ie. C:\Users\John\Desktop\RawFootage\raw2dng.exe %~n1.raw)

this allows you to simply drag n drop the .raw onto the .bat and immediately convert without having to open a cmd and type anything

Hope this helps

It even works without the batch-file ;)

Yomommassis

Quote from: Alia5 on May 16, 2013, 01:18:52 PM
It even works without the batch-file ;)

Really? it wasn't working for me, although it might be because the .RAW files I tried were corrupted...
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Yomommassis

but if you try to convert a corrupted file directly to the .exe and it fails it just flashes up and closes, if you add a pause to the .bat you can see the error code
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

Kuky

@Peter Linov

Can you pls post a link or just post the build you are using for 5dmk3?
I'm trying the ommit b6c2ae6 commit but can't open dng files.

It appears that a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 16 gb is able to do 1920x1080 without skipping with this commit but I can't confirm because I'm unable to see the recording on the PC.