uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Yea, I experienced some of that... especially some resolution leaves it allocating the buffer and not recording.

RAW HDR could eventually be possible

Yea, probably with existing functions just raw recording needs to trigger it. It moves too slow during preview

tackyattack

I don't think the UHS-I pins on the cards are supported by the Canon DSLRs, only the normal interface. So you're still going to get the normal SD card speeds whether it's UHS or not. I have been designing a device that plugs into the SD card slot of the DSLR and accesses the SPI pins. An ARM chip then emulates an SD card with data storage on a FAT32 partitioned SSD. This would allow very high data speeds. That will erase the problems of the SD card being too slow, but I have no idea how fast the SPI Bus on the canon cameras can go. Does anybody know of the max mhz the bus can run at?

Thanks

noisyboy

Okay so this is pretty damn cool. Just thought I'd have another go at 1540x640 as I only ever get 700 frames MAX before it starts skipping frames @25fps.

Just tried at 24fps instead and the difference is immense! All of a sudden hitting between 1500-2000 frames before any skipping even begins to start! Gonna try other resolutions to see if I can get some better performance! Whaaaaaat a difference a frame makes ;)

On 6D by the way.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: KenFTW on May 15, 2013, 02:36:12 AM
@shawn_lights perhaps I phrased it wrong, its actually a file corruption that shows up in a magenta color.

I am getting the same magenta block issues on 5Dii. Big magenta blocks randomly in footage. I didn't notice it until I went out to do a low light test and used my external HDMI monitor. I also noticed it on a h264 recording, so this may be a general ML bug and not a raw one. I will try it again later without the HDMI monitor to see if that could be causing the issue.

Regardless, the test results were just amazing. ML RAW->ProRes 444 and ColorGhear is absolutely stunning.

squig

Quote from: DjJuvan on May 14, 2013, 09:52:40 PM

EDIT: Which CF cards does support 1080p without glitches/dropframes?

Has anyone tested this card? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Flash-Card-64GB-1066x-Toshiba-the-world-fastest-Speed-CF-UDMA7-Ultra-/321106087953?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item4ac36a1011 It has 150MB write speed.

I've got one on order, it's on a slow boat from China, should be here in a week or so. They're not available anywhere outside of Asia yet. The Lexar 1000x is the most robust with no dropped frames @ 1080p.

Nspa32

How's this looking for the 550D, guys?

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: Nspa32 on May 15, 2013, 05:07:01 AM
How's this looking for the 550D, guys?

Wondering the same thing. I suppose the 600D development is an indication of what we'll see on the 550D

Nspa32

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 15, 2013, 05:10:25 AM
Wondering the same thing. I suppose the 600D development is an indication of what we'll see on the 550D

Right... If we can get 720p RAW with 24fps I'll be happy. I'm sure 720P RAW blows 1080P h.264 away.

jasonp

@TjS

I'm using a Komputer bay 64GB x1000 and have the same issue as you. Although the benchmarks are looking good (90MB/s), and I can record 1920x960 @ 75MB/s, when I try recording 1920x1080 it only runs @50-65MB/s and drops frames. I'm using the latest (May 14) built by lourenco, I didn't have any issues with the previous built. I guess we'll have to wait :)   

Brian@202020

Now if Mosaic Engenering would ever make an AA filter for the 5D3 then we'd be in business.

ajay

Here are test results of the Transcend 1000x 32 GB on the 5DM3:

In practice I have found 1920 x 840 seems to work flawlessly, greater than that eventually skips frames.

AJ

squig

Quote from: Brian@202020 on May 15, 2013, 06:02:04 AM
Now if Mosaic Engenering would ever make an AA filter for the 5D3 then we'd be in business.

What for? There's no aliasing or moire.

mixmastermike

Quote from: ajay on May 15, 2013, 06:25:56 AM
Here are test results of the Transcend 1000x 32 GB on the 5DM3:

In practice I have found 1920 x 840 seems to work flawlessly, greater than that eventually skips frames.

AJ

Try turning global draw off, that should release a little more memory for 1920 x 1080 recording.

I have the same card and it fluctuates between 80-84MB/s recording 1920 x 1080.

noisyboy

Quote from: tackyattack on May 15, 2013, 04:03:24 AM
I don't think the UHS-I pins on the cards are supported by the Canon DSLRs, only the normal interface. So you're still going to get the normal SD card speeds whether it's UHS or not. I have been designing a device that plugs into the SD card slot of the DSLR and accesses the SPI pins. An ARM chip then emulates an SD card with data storage on a FAT32 partitioned SSD. This would allow very high data speeds. That will erase the problems of the SD card being too slow, but I have no idea how fast the SPI Bus on the canon cameras can go. Does anybody know of the max mhz the bus can run at?

Thanks

Kickstarter baby  8)

ajay

Quote from: mixmastermike on May 15, 2013, 06:50:37 AM
Try turning global draw off, that should release a little more memory for 1920 x 1080 recording.

I have the same card and it fluctuates between 80-84MB/s recording 1920 x 1080.

Funny you should mention that, cuz I just did that and it did help a bit. I also turned off audio...not sure if it matters, but I turned off just about everything I could think of. I can now get 1920 x 960 to work reliably although 1920 x 1080 still skips frames intermittently. Sometimes I can go pretty far w/o skips.

Thanks,

AJ

mixmastermike

Quote from: ajay on May 15, 2013, 07:03:17 AM
Funny you should mention that, cuz I just did that and it did help a bit. I also turned off audio...not sure if it matters, but I turned off just about everything I could think of. I can now get 1920 x 960 to work reliably although 1920 x 1080 still skips frames intermittently. Sometimes I can go pretty far w/o skips.

Thanks,

AJ

I wasn't able to record 1920 x 1080, with earlier builds the buffer kept filling up but doing some testing today with the May 14th build it seemed to sort it out. I didn't stress it out with leave's or trees or anything like that but the frame were busy and it handled it well till i hit the 4Gb limit.

Are you running the latest build?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: ajay on May 15, 2013, 06:25:56 AM

AJ

You gotta be in liveview video mode for a more realistic benchmark. It appears you tested this in playback mode (and as mentioned, turn off global draw to maximize your card's performance in liveview). At the rate resolution you stated, you're getting more than 64-65 MB/s, but less than 80ish.

pavelpp

would 1280x400 raw crop on 550d look better than native 1080p H.264? Somehow I doubt that... You would still need to encode the material for viewing..

Chungdha

I would not mind a 720p that been crop to a cinescopish crop as I dont even upload anything bigger than 720p. But would like to test it if any want to compile it for 550d, also wasnt 550d more stable than 600d with allot of the coding?

Felixlgr

5D3 with transcend 1000x CF card

i have been experiencing with the nightly build and latest RAW features...its amazing !!! Big thanks to all the developers...i had a few crash and i kept al the logs... anybody from dev team interested in getting them ?

Im also wondering if it would be better to have ML installed on the SD card and only use the CF for recording... would it help reduce skipped frames ?

thanks all and keep up the good work so we can have some kind of stable build soon

Habitat

Quote from: Felixlgr on May 15, 2013, 09:37:06 AM
5D3 with transcend 1000x CF card

i have been experiencing with the nightly build and latest RAW features...its amazing !!! Big thanks to all the developers...i had a few crash and i kept al the logs... anybody from dev team interested in getting them ?

Im also wondering if it would be better to have ML installed on the SD card and only use the CF for recording... would it help reduce skipped frames ?

thanks all and keep up the good work so we can have some kind of stable build soon

Could you post a benchmark plz? From live view with global draw off?

DjJuvan

I ordered the Toshiba 1066x CF card.... I hope I get it in three weeks and I'll report about the speeds. I hope for non-dropping frames at 1080p.

di2010

I hope, this hasn't been asked yet or I could have found an answer myself. Does anyone please have a compiled version of the RAW enabled firmware for the 5D Mk II?

Thanks so much to the forum!

vicnaum

Benchmark of SDHC 16GB Sandisk Extreme HD Video (UHS-I, 45MB/s*, 300X, 10 class) on 600D

Same slow 21MB/s as my old SanDisk Ultra (Class 10, 30MB/s*).

So, I guess no luck for good RAWs on 600D, until any optimizations (maybe compression, or something...).
Will hope for good.

Andy600

@vicnaum - can you rerun the benchmark with Global Draw OFF? It's already near the maximum for the 600d buffer but interested to see if there's anymore
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com