uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 05:50:42 AM
H264 can be over 4gb on 600D.

Oo! Does that mean you can keep recording h.264 and not have file size limitations?

squig

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 05:50:42 AM
I'm guessing this is so the files don't get too large since its testing stages and all that. H264 can be over 4gb on 600D.

Do you know if the menu button was programmed to stop recording or was it just a happy accident?

ThePhil

Squig,

I successfully captured a >4GB using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s CF card in my ML Canon 5D Mark II.  Largest RAW Video File size as of now (that I've captured) is 4.21GB.

I'm converting it to DNG for edit/upload.

Phil
Canon 5D2, 5DC. Mac OS X 10.8  Apple Employee. SanDisk 90MB/s. Texas A&M University Graduate. Instagram: @PhilMographer

ted ramasola

Quote from: ThePhil on May 14, 2013, 06:11:55 AM
Squig,

I successfully captured a >4GB using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s CF card in my ML Canon 5D Mark II.  Largest RAW Video File size as of now (that I've captured) is 4.21GB.

I'm converting it to DNG for edit/upload.

Phil

I'm interested to know at what resolution and framerate? full hd 1920x1080 at 24fps?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Yoshiyuki Blade

After playing around with raw recording on the 5D2 for a bit, it's great! The crop selections predict the resolutions the camera/CF card can handle pretty much perfectly. I can record 1880x720@24p continuously with my 600x sandisk card, which gave me 54-55 MB/s from the benchmark. Raising the resolution a tad would eventually cause the buffer to fill up and frameskipping to occur.

I'm still a little hesitant on getting a bigger and faster card since I don't know how well it will scale with this camera. We need something like 80+ MB/s to do 1880x1080 which is quite a ways away from 55. Anyway, just when I thought I couldn't be any more amazed by what ML enabled for our cameras, this beast of a feature goes out to the wild! Thank you everyone for making this happen!

ThePhil

Ted Ramasola,

Resolution:  1880x1080 at 23.976fps at 81.2 MB/s resulting in a 4.21GB file.

Phil
Canon 5D2, 5DC. Mac OS X 10.8  Apple Employee. SanDisk 90MB/s. Texas A&M University Graduate. Instagram: @PhilMographer

ThePhil

Ted,

In regard to your other question, try the May 14 build. If it doesn't work with the provided Autoexec.bin swap for the autoexec.bin in the link Coutts provided earlier.

Phil

ted ramasola

Thank you. for your reply ThePhil,

at 4.21 gig at that resolution how long is that in recording time? Did you still have to use FPS override to get that framerate?

I have tried the may 14 build. The M tab is gone so I replaced the autoexec.bin back to the one Coutts provided earlier. I'm just concerned if the updates and new commits made by a1ex as indicated in the changelog is not implemented.

I'm interested in the fix for pink frames indicated in the log. I always get it in the last frame of a take.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ThePhil

Ted,

I'm not advanced enough to say yes or no to the swap. I'd wait until one of the more knowledgable users posts in that regard.  However, in reference to the file size... I won't know for sure how well it performed until I get RAW2dng to work on my mac but I didn't have to use FPS override on it.  I monitored the fps during capture without a drop in frame rate.  I've found that turning off the camera and turning it back on right before recording helps clear the memory and allows for longer record times.  Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on the topic but theoretically the restart should clear the memory.

Phil

ted ramasola

Thank you Phil,

Keep us posted on your test results. :)

Ted
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

squig

4 gig should be roughly around a minute, give or take.

NtiT

Anyone succeeded with raw2dng on 64bit Windows? Windows 8, if it makes a difference.
I get an "Unsupported 16-bit application error" message.

ted ramasola

Quote from: NtiT on May 14, 2013, 07:40:26 AM
Anyone succeeded with raw2dng on 64bit Windows? Windows 8, if it makes a difference.

successful runing raw2dng in 64bit win 7. 
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: NtiT on May 14, 2013, 07:40:26 AM

Works fine here. I also have win8 64-bit. It works by a simple drag-and-drop as people mentioned.

NtiT

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 14, 2013, 07:44:06 AM
Works fine here. I also have win8 64-bit. It works by a simple drag-and-drop as people mentioned.
I feel like an idiot, but can you run me through the entire process like I'm 5?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: NtiT on May 14, 2013, 07:49:34 AM
I feel like an idiot, but can you run me through the entire process like I'm 5?

Click and hold the mouse button on the raw file (ex. M0000000.RAW), move it on the top of the raw2dng.exe icon and release the mouse button. It should start making .dng files immediately. Make sure you have both the program and raw video file in a folder and not your desktop since it'll produce hundreds of files.

NtiT

To be clear, I'm using the raw2dng file from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32T3RSTXRUM1VXTWM/edit, renamed with a .exe extension.
When I try to load a RAW file with CMD: http://i.imgur.com/aegEtle.png
Drag and Drop: http://i.imgur.com/I30EMqr.png

aaphotog

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 14, 2013, 07:54:18 AM
Click and hold the mouse button on the raw file (ex. M0000000.RAW), move it on the top of the raw2dng.exe icon and release the mouse button. It should start making .dng files immediately. Make sure you have both the program and raw video file in a folder and not your desktop since it'll produce hundreds of files.
I wish it were this simple for mac users :sigh:

zachnfine

Two questions:

1. I see a decent number of samples on the net of the new feature recorded using Technicolor Cinestyle. Is there a better S-log profile to use with 14-bit raw than Cinestyle, or is a style even necessary with raw? Isn't Cinestyle designed specifically to compress both the shadows and the highlights within the range of exposure that would otherwise be truncated by h264 compression -- and now that we're skipping h264 altogether we can take advantage of that extra space in which to record shadows and highlights? Cinestyle may be compressing the range more than necessary, it may be a waste to use it with raw.

2. There are a bunch of indirect warnings from Canon engineers popping up in this twitter feed (note: Mr. Sutton is not a troll, and is undoubtedly trying to pass along what he deems useful info from the source, so please give him the benefit of the doubt):
https://twitter.com/mns1974/status/334132774132908032
I'm skeptical, as I would expect that there'd be safety shutdown procedures in the firmware on the sensor that don't depend on the proper behavior of applications running on the camera's OS, but who knows. I guess we'll all know within a couple of weeks. I've ordered my 1000X 32Gb CF card, and will definitely be shooting some raw in the near future unless peoples' cameras start exploding.

Thanks so much A1ex and all Magic Lantern contributors. As if magic zoom wasn't enough!

Danne

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 08:34:41 AM
I wish it were this simple for mac users :sigh:

Here comes another mac leper;).
I,m on a mac OS X 10.6.8 and I can,t get wine bottler workwith the exe. I also can,t get the script to work in terminal. Don,t really know what I,m doing here. Is there any smart solution how to make the conversion an a mac and that doesn,t involve complicated programming instructions?
Thanks everyone
//D

aaphotog

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 08:47:48 AM
Here comes another mac lepper;).
I,m on a mac OS X 10.6.8 and I can,t get wine bottler workwith the exe. I also can,t get the script to work in terminal. Don,t really know what I,m doing here. Is there any smart solution how to make the conversion an a mac and that doesn,t involve complicated programming instructions?
Thanks everyone
//D

lol what is a lepper?

Danne

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 08:48:58 AM
lol what is a lepper?

I spelled it wrong, It,s leper :)
Well, It,s not a good thing ;)