uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andersonchagas

Any chance of raw in T2i at some resolution?

paramon

i don't know what's going on,
on the May 14 build i was able to film full 1920x1080 4Gb files, but with some dropped frames, on today's build the largest rez i can do that is 1920 x720, but no dropped frames,
i am on Mkiii Lexar x1000,
is this normal?

tridluu

Quote from: Roars on May 17, 2013, 04:19:49 AM
so i have a couple of thought to throw out hear

what is the Colour Chroma Subsampling when shooting in Raw is it 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 the 5d is 4:2:0 as standerd

could some of the issues with the Sd cards be solved by using a SSd, ie a ninja (cos you can get a better bit rate [10-12mb] out of the hdmi export onto a ninja than you can standerd [8mb]) but i dont think that would work cos you cant export raw data down the hdmi maybe if you could retro fit a ssd direct to the 5d.

and the bit rate is that hardwere limeted to 14 bits or the hack or the card

more over how do these raw files stack up to red as to my knowledge there the only people to use raw (i think arri might to)

why does all the raw test footage look abit darker is that simply a byproduct of more detail

so raw on dslrs has been proven so why has cannon not thought of this

also what are you guy editing on final cut 7 cant realy handle HD let alone raw. i was told only avid could truly edit .raw but you can convert it [woudnt you loos the ability to edit the exposure and stuff if you did that]

are you useing redcode edding ?

These questions have already been answered in earlier posts or similar threads.

Kudos to the ML team on this development. It will help them if people testing would post bugs and issues rather than have people asking the same questions over and over. Just my thought. It doesn't take long to read the full thread and understand what is going on.

lourenco

Quote from: paramon on May 17, 2013, 04:28:33 AM
i don't know what's going on,
on the May 14 build i was able to film full 1920x1080 4Gb files, but with some dropped frames, on today's build the largest rez i can do that is 1920 x720, but no dropped frames,
i am on Mkiii Lexar x1000,
is this normal?

You need to check your settings for Raw video.  The buffer full option see if it set to stop recording. You can change it to skip frames. Before it would always skip frames. Now there is option, which is normally set to stop recording when buffer is full.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

EOSHD

Quote from: platu on May 17, 2013, 01:31:30 AM
A little update regarding the KomputerBay cards... You may want to avoid recommending the 128GB version of the KomputerBay CF card. Evidence is building that the 128 version had slower real world write speeds than the 64. This prevents 1080p raw recording since the 128 doesn't seem to attain the 83MB/s minimum write required for 1080p raw recording. The 64GB version seems to test at 90+ MB/s write while the 128GB version tests at 60-70 MB/s write.  It turns out that Andrew from EOSHD was using the 64gb variety of the KomputerBay card for his Raw tests, which is why he was able to utilize even greater than 1080p raw without dropped frames.  This is all still unproven but I just returned my 128gb and ordered two 64gb to see for myself.

73MB/s on my 128GB card (best case).
95MB/s on my 64GB card peak sustained rate in ML benchmark - 85MB/s reliable during raw recording.

Barely 20MB/s on my fastest SD cards. They are: Sandisk SDHC-I 95MB/s (16GB) and Sony 94MB/s (32GB). They are unusable for raw, at least for me. Had expected better from those.

I am going to try painting go faster stripes on my 128GB card and see if it improves ;)

aaphotog

Quote from: squig on May 17, 2013, 03:02:55 AM
Perfect! I guess I can stop working on the sLUT then. I really like visioncolor/tech, it's a good improvement on prolost.
If you have premiere, why not use the log setting after converting to pro res?
it's in effect>cineon.
or something like that.

jpgentry

Wow, it took 45 pages to answer every question you just asked and more...  Everything you stated shows you didn't really read any of them.

Quote from: Roars on May 17, 2013, 04:19:49 AM
so i have a couple of thought to throw out hear

what is the Colour Chroma Subsampling when shooting in Raw is it 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 the 5d is 4:2:0 as standerd

could some of the issues with the Sd cards be solved by using a SSd, ie a ninja (cos you can get a better bit rate [10-12mb] out of the hdmi export onto a ninja than you can standerd [8mb]) but i dont think that would work cos you cant export raw data down the hdmi maybe if you could retro fit a ssd direct to the 5d.

and the bit rate is that hardwere limeted to 14 bits or the hack or the card

more over how do these raw files stack up to red as to my knowledge there the only people to use raw (i think arri might to)

why does all the raw test footage look abit darker is that simply a byproduct of more detail

so raw on dslrs has been proven so why has cannon not thought of this

also what are you guy editing on final cut 7 cant realy handle HD let alone raw. i was told only avid could truly edit .raw but you can convert it [woudnt you loos the ability to edit the exposure and stuff if you did that]

are you useing redcode edding ?

EOSHD

Is it due to fragmentation?

With latest build I had strange issue where on my faster 64GB card it dropped back to 70MB/s and dropped frames at the start of the recording, then gradually sped up around the 1GB mark during recording, until it was back at 80MB/s+ again.

Rebooted camera, tried 1920x1280. 92MB/s sustained to the card. Under the magic 98MB/s really needed for that resolution but still - why such variation in card writing speeds going on here?

1%

I wrote a few more files and got some speed back... maybe this is from the cards?

squig

Quote from: aaphotog on May 17, 2013, 04:49:38 AM
If you have premiere, why not use the log setting after converting to pro res?
it's in effect>cineon.
or something like that.

I do have premiere but I'm a long time final cut user and I haven't had time to get my head around premiere yet but thanks for the tip.

EOSHD

Sometimes my 128GB card is slow off the marks - 50MB/s, then slowly rises to reach 70MB/s after around 10 seconds of recording.

In benchmark it always achieves around 73MB/s no matter what mood it is in  ;D

platu

Quote from: EOSHD on May 17, 2013, 05:13:55 AM
Sometimes my 128GB card is slow off the marks - 50MB/s, then slowly rises to reach 70MB/s after around 10 seconds of recording.

In benchmark it always achieves around 73MB/s no matter what mood it is in  ;D

On your 128gb, what is the highest resolution you can use (1x mode, 24fps) and still record the full 4 gig file without skipping frames?  On my KomputerBay 128gb, I can only do 1080x900.  Anything higher will only go for 10-20 seconds before frame skipping begins.

EOSHD

Highest reliable res on the 128GB card is 1920x840, around 65MB/s.

1920x960 isn't too bad... but right on the limit of the card at 73MB/s. Sometimes it can't even do that.

Still the 64GB card pushes on for 92MB/s peak and can do 1080p no sweat.

Digital Corpus

Quote from: Digital Corpus on May 16, 2013, 05:48:49 AM...CF and SD cards are Flash memory. There is a bit of a principle of Flash memory that *will* affect  your write speeds, and though these memory cards are not what we consider SSD's, they have to abide by the same rules...
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

platu

Quote from: EOSHD on May 17, 2013, 05:27:08 AM
Highest reliable res on the 128GB card is 1920x840, around 65MB/s.

1920x960 isn't too bad... but right on the limit of the card at 73MB/s. Sometimes it can't even do that.

Still the 64GB card pushes on for 92MB/s peak and can do 1080p no sweat.

Our cards are behaving almost exactly the same in terms of speed.  You should also be able to get 1920x900 WITHOUT frame skipping for the full 4gb file.  The build from a little earlier today omitted that resolution but lourenco sent me a link adding it back...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7QlH_BH2m32Q1FMeHBBQVVmb3M&usp=sharing

If you are missing 1080x900, just overwrite these files in the ML/MODULES folder (I'm assuming you are using the latest build).

Yoshiyuki Blade

An attempt to do hdr, but I'm not very good with PP:

It's kinda surreal being able to capture clouds in the sky without underexposing the shadowy areas too much!

Though it doesn't show on Youtube for obvious reasons, most of the things my brain instinctively looks out for doesn't exist anymore! Blocky, muddy or clipped shadows and blotchy textures are now very, very clear and detailed.

edit: The video compressed to BD specs: https://mega.co.nz/#!zQVCQQCS!czx6vEM2zxZqcNH-OE9dQTgbyUBeqG6sFXfulxQlUBo

kgv5

Yoshiyuki Blade, nice try, did you use twixtor to make frame blending (I assume you had 12 light and 12 dark frames)? Could you please briefly describe your twixtor workflow? I am using it with normal clips with no problem but somehow I cannot blend DNG's.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

swinxx

Alex, isnt it possible to split the recorded file in 2 seperate files, and then use cf AND sd card slot at the same time to get better resolution? Like a raid system??

Greets and a big thank you to the whole ml team you for your great stuff

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: kgv5 on May 17, 2013, 06:51:47 AM
Yoshiyuki Blade, nice try, did you use twixtor to make frame blending (I assume you had 12 light and 12 dark frames)? Could you please briefly describe your twixtor workflow? I am using it with normal clips with no problem but somehow I cannot blend DNG's.

No frameblending was used. I just threw together a bunch of nonsensical settings in Raw Therapee until it looked cool and applied the settings to all the frames in a batch. I'm uploading a compressed-but-way-better-than-Youtube clip atm and will edit my post with the link.

mjneubrander

Finished playing around and decided to do something. Here is my expose on leaves, flowers, and slow focus pulls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYFTaIslaSo

Using a transcend x400 32gb which tested at 35 Mb/s and getting continuous 1280x720 with a may 13 build. All the newer builds seem to be dropping many more frames.

Peter Linov

I have a problem with the last firmware update.
If you use the record in RAW, and then turn it off
then when I enable basic video(H264) shooting and then turn off, the camera freezes. Displays the last frame and stop everything.
  Turning off the camera does not work, still image is still visible.
  It was only when the camera is off remove AKM and then work fine!

Audionut

Some footage.

1600x840 in camera @ 5x zoom, best I can do with a Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s CF.
Resized to 1920x1008 with borders added to bring it to 1080 high and a touch of sharpening and encoded with x264

--preset placebo --tune grain --crf 12
Close enough to lossless.

A source frame before resize and sharpening.

g3gg0

Quote from: Andy600 on May 16, 2013, 05:09:43 PM
I'm noticing a couple of little green dots on my DNGs. I thought they might be dead/hot pixels but they are not there on jpegs, CR2 or .mov files

well, the dead pixel detection isnt executed by us.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: Peter Linov on May 17, 2013, 08:05:39 AM
I have a problem with the last firmware update.
If you use the record in RAW, and then turn it off
then when I enable basic video(H264) shooting and then turn off, the camera freezes. Displays the last frame and stop everything.
  Turning off the camera does not work, still image is still visible.
  It was only when the camera is off remove AKM and then work fine!

alex found the issue and worked it around.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/d6bca45d8f31554fd0ab71b628a6b04a8e56b3e9
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!