Alternate shots on a 50D

Started by orlov, April 13, 2013, 04:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orlov

I have the 50D working in Motion Detect mode.
When I set the screen to Dim and Turn off, it does this only every other shot!
What am I doing wrong?

a1ex

Works fine on 5D3. Can't help with 50D since we don't have one.

A video showing the problem may help.

orlov

I've had this on test, using a mains eliminator and as alternate shots leave the Live View screen on, I've been monitoring the temperature. Although the camera warms up slightly - and I've had it like this (indoors) for over 2 hours, I'm not concerned by it, as no extreme temperatures are involved.
I intend to use it outdoors anyway, so it probably won't even warm up.
I'll be trying it out tomorrow in Motion Detect mode - set to Frame Difference , as it seems so sensitive  :)

trsaunders

I've tried testing this on my 50D, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'set the screen to Dim and Turn off'. Is this a Canon or ML setting?
50D, 5D3

orlov

In PREFS - then POWERSAVE IN LIVE VIEW, press the Function button and from the sub menu I set the DIM DISPLAY to 5 sec. and the TURN OFF LCD and LV to 10 sec.
I've attached an image of the screen. The purple square is generated in ML.
And on the first shot it dims and turns of. The next shot stays as per this screen shot. Then the next shot dims and turns off and so on and so on .....................!

Hope you can help, Thanks  :)

a1ex

Disable the sticky half-shutter.

orlov

Thanks. I've just been trying this and it works!..... but only up to 30 mins, then the camera shuts down.
I think the Sticky Half Shutter is needed to prevent this. It looks as if it's something I may have to live with.
But for detections up to 30 mins, you've certainly solved the problem, - thanks  :)

a1ex

Correct, just pushed a fix for the 30-minute limit. Try again tomorrow.