5D Mk III: pushing video resolution beyond 2K using alternative codecs (non RAW)

Started by Whyte Imaging, June 16, 2013, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whyte Imaging

I am currently experimenting with code in ML. However, I'd like to know - besides RAW and H264, is their any way to get ProRes 422 3K format video onto the Canon EOS 5 Mark III? I'd like to see what codecs could be used on the Canon 5D III?

Anyone know?

I'm new here and I did a search first on this topic.... didn't find much. I know that right now 80-90 MB/sec (700 Mbits/sec) is max for the CF card write. However, what would it take to take 450 Mbit/sec ProRes 4444 or 250Mbit/sec ProRes 422 (HQ) @ 1.78:1 crop at 3K resolution?

What I am requesting is a chart that shows video resolution to MBits/Sec ratio. This will help enormously as I am going to start doing some tests to see if I can get higher than 2K resolution working in an alternative video codec other than RAW. Ideally I'd like to go beyond 8 bit color space and find a way to get 10 bit working in ProRes 422 HQ first. Anyone else try this? I don't see much spoken about on ML about it.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.... but I'd like to try.

Audionut

Smaller bitdepths for raw at this stage is a no go.  Processing overhead is to much for the camera. See this thread.

There's some discussion on using other codecs in this thread.  And I queried a1ex about using jpg immediately after raw recording was enabled.  Basically, that isn't possible either.

Whyte Imaging

Quote from: Audionut on June 17, 2013, 02:20:46 AM
Smaller bitdepths for raw at this stage is a no go.  Processing overhead is to much for the camera. See this thread.

There's some discussion on using other codecs in this thread.  And I queried a1ex about using jpg immediately after raw recording was enabled.  Basically, that isn't possible either.

Why not keep the native codec or something similar and run a 10 bit color space - and increase the resolution? I see no reason why it can't be done. The data throughput is present, now we need to increase resolution - unless that is limited by the spec of the camera processor.

Audionut

Quote from: Whyte Imaging on June 17, 2013, 03:43:49 AM
unless that is limited by the spec of the camera processor.

You just answered your own question.

If you want more information, I suggest you browse the forums as there has been plenty of discussion for both, reducing the bitdepth and using other compression means.

Thanks.