ML for 650d ? current status.....!!!

Started by charms, April 03, 2013, 09:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charms

:o

please update the current status for ML in 650d....... !!! excited.....!!

g3gg0

this is an example of how one should not ask for status.
excessive use of exclamation marks and using" .....!" expresses pressure.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

hoekstra

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 03, 2013, 11:56:34 AM
this is an example of how one should not ask for status.
excessive use of exclamation marks and using" .....!" expresses pressure.
that's true...

However, there are other people out there, who are also interested in the current status. ( Like me ;) )
Could you please give us a short update?

Also, I would be interested in testing the current version for 650d. It's not yet in the nightly builds, right?
(I'm assuming, that the software, however buggy it might still be, can't damage the camera...)

If I can help with some tests, please let me know.

Regards,

Thomas

magicone

will it be possible to have video 1080 50p? or will we alway stay with 25p?

1%

Yea, you can have 50P all you want with collapsed image and inability to record it.

magicone

Really?
But is ML features are available some where?
And when the firmware willbe available for the 650d?

I'll be so excited To record my movies with 1080p/50fps

Thanks

nanomad

1% was sarcastic, you can't actually record anything good at all at 1080p when FPS > 36

650D is still being developed. It takes time when you have a  full time job and people to care about too ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

magicone

Why do you say that we can't record 1080p >36fps?
I don't understand, my sony hx9v is able to do it...

nanomad

Because the 650D isn't your sony camera (different sensor, different encoder, ...)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

magicone

Ok so i understand that will be better to continue using my sony for movies ?
I believed that the image quality was réal better with the canon 650d?

nanomad

It all depends on what you want to do. Sometimes 30FPS is good enough, sometimes not. And FPS isn't everything

magicone

Yes i Know there are a lot of things.
I'doing vidéo editing and often uses slow Motion.
I know première cs6 can create the missing images but i know it's better To have the réal 50fps for a good slow Motion.
However i'm using a compact and not a reflex.
That's why i throught that with 650d i will have both..

magicone

do you think it would be possible oneday with ML to increase the fps for 1080?
doing 50p instead of 25p?

i like to make slowmotions... and love 1080p :)

1%

Of course... when canon comes out with a 1080p60 camera we'll get right on it.

magicone

Do you mean that is not a software issue but hardware issue ?
As IT already can record with 720p 50fps
I believed that IT was possible with digic5 to optimize it with ML?

1%

1dc actually has 2 digic 5s to do the 4k and 60P.

My theory is that they process 1/2 the image on each digic.

fauxtographer

Would they actually process the image in two parts like that though?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

magicone

:-X
Quote from: 1% on May 02, 2013, 01:57:00 AM
1dc actually has 2 digic 5s to do the 4k and 60P.

My theory is that they process 1/2 the image on each digic.

I don't clearly understand your answer.
Do you mean that digic5 is not powerfull enough To record with 1080p / 50 or 60fps?

1%

The encoder isn't powerful enough to record 38 frames without jerking. Can use LV-rec to try to bypass that but the image falls slightly north of that.

So short answer nope.

Processing the image in 2 parts looks easy. When you enable zoom and image is "2k" in the raw buffer you can move the zoom window down and get the other half. So all they would have to do is feed top to one digic and bottom to another. Or could be using one digic to make the buffer and one digic to do the encoding. But unless they made major hardware changes to their H264 IC it can only process 30fps. So 30 fps on one and 30fps on the other... set them to be staggered and one is writing FRAME1 to the stream then the other writes frame 2 while first digic is encoding. I don't have 1dc to test these theories on but with the current hardware capabilities I would do it one of these ways.

The extra attention to crop mode is telling too... extra control of what parts of the image are being used.

exavi

Are there any plans to support lossless compression for raw_rec? This would allow entry level cameras to record at higher resolutions.

Whilst is true that the processor doesn't matter for the current implementation, it may be that it actually helps when compressing data? I haven't had a chance to look properly at the source for this, and I have been waiting for over two months for Canon to reply to my sdk request so I am not sure I can do many tests at the moment, but what is the current raw_rec doing? is it literally a mem dump with no formatting or anything?

I am asking because if it is true that the processor is idle, it may be a good opportunity to have a go at compressing the data.