Custom white balance by default

Started by pixueto, March 31, 2013, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixueto

Dear all,

I am new to Magic Lantern and there is something I would like to ask the experts in the forum. I have a Canon DSLR modified for astrophotography. I have replaced the IR colour correction filter by a different filter which still blocks IR light while allowing wavelengths from radiation nebulae to arrive to the sensor. Obviously, the camera now needs to use a custom white balance for normal daylight photography. My question is this: would it be possible to store in the SD card or camera a few shots taken under different conditions: daylight, shadow, tungsten, etc and then install them as the new preset WB options? In this way, I wouldn't need to create a custom WB for each of my daylight pictures and the camera would effectively be a dual astro-day DSLR.

Many thanks for your help

Francis

Sure, just don't delete the images.

Chungdha

If you shoot RAW you can always change it in lightroom or photoshop.

pixueto

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I know how to do that; that's what I'm doing now. However, the idea is to somehow give the camera new presets for the traditional white balance modes: daylight, tungsten, even auto WB, so that I can take photos in a format other than raw with the camera applying the WB correction automatically as it does when bought from the shop. The camera with the filter replacement for astrophotography has the WB messed up so I need to use a gray card because the preset WBs stored won't work properly. The idea is to store a few shots in different conditions: daylight, tungsten, etc so that the camera can use those as its new preset WB's at the toch of a button. Can this be done?

Many thanks