Canon's view on ML

Started by deletedAcc.0021, March 29, 2013, 03:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deletedAcc.0021

I talked with Darrin, a Canon service tech at the Canon Service Center at 12022 Canon Blvd, Newport News, VA 23602
(866) 510-1335 about their views on Magic Lantern and warranty service.

He said that Canon is familiar with ML and that it WOULD NOT void the canon warranty.

He also said that he "has never heard of any incidents nor had any service work where ML was the cause of damage to a camera".

With that being said, he also covered his own a$$ by stating that "if they could prove any damage was the direct result of ML, the customer would be responsible for the cost of repairs".

Canons own websites states that you are to remove the battery and memory card before sending them in for service.

g3gg0

thanks for this information.
does he agree to telling that in public?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

deletedAcc.0021

I'm pretty sure he would not be willing to make a public announcement on Canon's behalf as I'm sure he is just an employee.

I expected them to either say they were not familiar with ML and/or using ML would definitely void the warranty. 

But, I got exactly the opposite,  he had heard of ML and was familiar with its functions and that no repairs had been reported as a direct result of using ML.

He must have been pretty comfortable giving me that information as he was willing to give me his name after doing so.

The conversation with him definitely put my mind at ease about my warranty and continued use of ML.

Maybe I should have titled this thread "Canon's repair center's view on ML"

1%

Yea, they pick features up, etc. But don't put this poor guy on the spot, the service dept is pretty cool but corporate may not be.

I'm assuming unless they have a custom firmware canon guys have to use ML or suffer through the lackluster firmware.

wolf

Ml and the external Mic input was the reason to buy a Canon camera. I think Canon likes ML 'cause they sell more but they don't admit.
And like 1% wrote they pick up features...

deletedAcc.0021

Yeah, he definitely didn't sound surprised when I mentioned ML.  I wonder how many of the Canon employees actually use ML.

Betelgeuza

like i said once before.. canon company should add for ML makers Huge Donation or give for ML makers all possible canon camera models for testing with ML..i thing its just matter of time

i bought Canon camera becauze i find out in my researches ML ,, this is only one reason why i get Canon.. Magic Lantern