Star trails, first attempt

Started by MichalLeder, March 19, 2013, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichalLeder

Hi, last weekend thanks to good weather conditions I have made a timelapse (naturally using ML) of the starry sky. This time I have tried smearing the star trails in post. Visit my fotoblog (click the image) to check the result http://lederfotoblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/star-trails-first-attempt.html

Admin, plz, move it back to videos, as this was about the video from the very begenning. Sorry, that it was not clear then, but I had difficulties on embedding Vimeo video. Thank you!

Betelgeuza

stars on left midle down `rotating` in difrente direction ..maybe lenss problems ? or try do some lenss coretctions..

Walter Schulz

Think it over! ;-) Hint: Northern and southern hemisphere catched in the frame
http://500px.com/photo/1622099
http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelrls/7703201452/

For own tests (in shorter time)
http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/sky/skymotionapplet.html

Ciao!
Walter Schulz

MichalLeder

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 21, 2013, 02:12:27 PM
Think it over! ;-) Hint: Northern and southern hemisphere catched in the frame[...]

That's it! Thanks Walter!

Betelgeuza

guys comon this is not real....earth not rotating like this ;) ..

this is not my Shot but This is Good maded Stars Trails picture :

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0512/startrails_gemini_big.jpg

Walter Schulz

You are stubborn but wrong.
You know "Stellarium"? View to south-west, press "e". You may notice the lines below 0 degrees.
And it has to be that way.
Or do you think there is a conspiracy among photographers, astronomers and mathematicians?

Ciao, Walter

Betelgeuza

well... ok nasa is wrong u are right ..end of subject ..

Walter Schulz

If you use Stellarium (or any other astronomic software) *and* think it over, you will see that the picture you shown contradicts nothing at all. Your picture shows the view you get if the Polar Star is in/near the center. However, if you have parts in the frame which are below the astronomic horizon equator you will get trails bending to the south.

Ciao, Walter

Betelgeuza

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 22, 2013, 08:49:27 PM
If you use Stellarium (or any other astronomic software) *and* think it over, you will see that the picture you shown contradicts nothing at all. Your picture shows the view you get if the Polar Star is in/near the center. However, if you have parts in the frame which are below the astronomic horizon equator you will get trails bending to the south.

Ciao, Walter

I must say i done some checks and u are right in some point.. looks like my star trails are always was done with Polaris in the midle.. so new expirence..

Personal i prefer more open shuter and long expo for star trails than procesing it with program he used..  here stars looks more  like comets ( damn clouds and pan starr ) and with not muche color .. but its always good to learn some new expirence about rotation

MichalLeder

Betelgeuza,

1. Stars look like comets because while stacking in PS in "lighten" mode I added darkening by some factor at each step. This is a intended effect.
2. What you think looks like panstarr comet is a new moon
3. I have made the timelapse sequence to make the small video (I am hoping to be a part of bigger project) - this was my primary aim. Click the image to be redirected to my blog page where the mentionev video is embedded.

SDX

I really liked it, Michal, especially the composition of the foreground. However, you should consider whenever it is a good idea to have the moon in the frame. Moonlight is quite a cool thing when it comes to startrails, it's light often improves the foreground allot - but in the frame itself, it takes allot of the light from the stars.

And for the comet-like thing: I don't know if you did it manually, but I just want to point out, that you can automatize the process in PS ;)

MichalLeder

Hi SDX, thanks for the comment. I must have had the moon in the frame that night. Unfortunately I do not have enough time for night shots and conditions were as they were. In other directions I had ugly lights of the big city (20km) or the non-composing villages. I am waiting for moonless nights and some better weather conditions (that night it was -11 C).

> And for the comet-like thing:
This is the moon itself.

> you can automatize the process in PS
Thanks for that tutorial - I will study it soon! My process was half automatic - I must have had name and save each file after the PS action.

Betelgeuza

Quote from: MichalLeder on March 23, 2013, 08:28:40 PM
Betelgeuza,

2. What you think looks like panstarr comet is a new moon

:D no no .. i dont mean Moon..i mean all stars  looks like small commets  with  tail on end..i things is still ok ..its in some point ART so can be whatever maker wish.. but.. i dont mean PanStaRR.. by saying (  damn clouds and pan starr ) i was little jump out of subject.. and that was accoording to Real comet what i trying to shot but Clouds again and agian..hiding all Sky... so that was on margin .

why dont u try  regular old like astrophotography way of making star trails ? open shuter 1 hour or more..analog camera making beautyfull shots with just one frame all stars got  grate real colours and trails are like magical lines of light..( ilove stars trails of Sirius , that three stars light making grate clours )..shots of stars trails.. im not sure if i can ( becauze its out of subject in some point )but i can search for my old star trails shot (( what i not promise i find ) what i done with  one frame ..so if Analog can do it Digital can it to.. why game in  time lapse and procesing  900 shots ? when u can all do done by one Shot..dont  take me bad its just option

MichalLeder

Quote from: Betelgeuza on March 25, 2013, 04:35:19 PM

why game in  time lapse and procesing  900 shots ? when u can all do done by one Shot..

Hi Betelgeuza, to get an answer why, get back to first post, I finally embedded video correctly :-D