Long Time recording by Changing Bitrate

Started by matthaeus, March 13, 2013, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthaeus

Dear Friends,
i was asked to fully record a 4h conference board. Do you think its possible with a DSLR?
I am using a canon t2i
Is it correct that i can record longer by decreasing the bitrate in the magic lantern menu?

Thanks

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Francis

You can record longer by decreasing the bitrate but there is still a 30min limit. To be able to fully record the conference without any gaps, you would need 2 cameras, or an external audio recorder and some creative editing.

matthaeus

thanks for your answers!

just made some test with a 0,2 bitrate factor...

battery and sd-card would do it quite long but sensor overheats

seems like i need to rent out a real film camera.

cheers

1%

Is T2i more prone to this? Its the main camera I hear overheats and sometimes 5d2... you don't hear too many reports of newer cameras doing it.

SDX

Was a bit to early this morning and had my camera with me, which allowed me to shoot a few tests from my workspace. The difference between a lowered CBR factor and 1x is significant, in contrast to higher rates. I just quickly threw the footage together. You can clearly see the differences. 0.4x, however, looks surprisingly good. Pay attention on shadows and edges.