magic lantern corrupt cf card?

Started by crackers, March 13, 2013, 05:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackers

Hi.
Hopefully someone can help or give his expertise.
I was shooting on the weekend with a 5d and magic lantern. The dop who own the camera installed it on 3cf cards. It was the first time he was using ml. He never had any trouble with the cards or the camera. On the first I checked that all the cards were fine. Putting them in the camera one by one and formatting them in camera. 2of them were good to go but one could not be formatted for some reason. I thought I check it later on a PC. the shoot went fine until after one backup. we only copied footage to the computer unmount correctly then try to format in camera but the card could not be formatted.
At the end of the day I try both failing cards and could not format the in camera or with the PC and one could not even be detected.

I was wondering if this was cause by magic lantern or defective cf card. It is very weird that both card failed after using ml knowing they never had trouble before. The do asked me to investigate as he is shooting next weekend and wonder if it s worth using ml.

Thank you for your help

I hope this is clear enough as English is not my language

g3gg0

that is definitely *not* an issue of Magic Lantern.
ML does not directly access the card, all this is done via canon routines.
Formatting is canon, bootflag, file copying etc, all done from canon functions.

even if we intentionally would write crap in all sectors of the card, it still would register
as a CF card, but will have no letter assigned and would need repartitioning

can you check if the card is being detected as physical device?
linux: check dmesg for /dev/sd....
windows: check disk management console
mac: no idea... :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Francis

Betelgeuza

Quote from: crackers on March 13, 2013, 05:39:53 AM
Hi.
Hopefully someone can help or give his expertise.
I was shooting on the weekend with a 5d and magic lantern. The dop who own the camera installed it on 3cf cards. It was the first time he was using ml. He never had any trouble with the cards or the camera. On the first I checked that all the cards were fine. Putting them in the camera one by one and formatting them in camera. 2of them were good to go but one could not be formatted for some reason. I thought I check it later on a PC. the shoot went fine until after one backup. we only copied footage to the computer unmount correctly then try to format in camera but the card could not be formatted.
At the end of the day I try both failing cards and could not format the in camera or with the PC and one could not even be detected.

I was wondering if this was cause by magic lantern or defective cf card. It is very weird that both card failed after using ml knowing they never had trouble before. The do asked me to investigate as he is shooting next weekend and wonder if it s worth using ml.

Thank you for your help

I hope this is clear enough as English is not my language

check if your card is not Locked,, if yes just unlock it . u got small thing on card ..u can lock it or unlock..

crackers

One of the cards can't be detected at all. So i guess that one is completely dead, i tryed it on win, mac and linux.

The other card appears on the computer with a volume letter., as it should. I was able to finally format it using sdformatter and through computer management in xp. It did open fine so i tried it in my 7d camera. The camera said it needed to be formated but can't. I took it out put it back in the computer and card was detected with letter assign but couldnt access it and also need to be formated. normal format failed as before so did it through computer management it worked. I guess dodgy card.
The dop blame ml cause it never had trouble before and happen at the same time on 2 cards on the same day. Both cards are sandisk extreme 16gb.