[WONTFIX] Bitrate concentration - Adding black borders so 1080p > 720p

Started by Roman, March 10, 2013, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Since the bitrate is consumed by movement or detail, and the normal 720p 60fps mode leaves a bit to be desired quality wise compared to 1080p...

How about adding black borders around the frame of a video taken at 1080p, with the idea of cropping it to 720p in post?

(So the video would only effectively be captured in a smaller square in the middle of the frame)

I would assume that the completely black border will consume little/none of the bitrate, leaving whatever bitrate you have for concentrating on the 720p centre portion rather than spreading a given bitrate thinner across a 1080p full detail frame.

ilguercio

But, as you can see from a few tests, increasing the bitrate does not provide a proportional increase of quality...
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Roman

I was thinking it could be a way to get 720p without 60fps or the crappy downscaling.

But yep I get what you are saying.

Also perhaps just downscaling the 1080p sized picture in post to 720p could give a better effective resolution anyway I guess.

Dont know, just a thought!