samyang 8mm

Started by phunkyboy, February 26, 2013, 12:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phunkyboy

Anyone have this ?. Is it good for video making. I hear its alittle soft for stills , love to get some feedback please.

screamer

I have all the samyang lenses, and this is one of my favs. It's a pretty good lens, perfect for video, and for shooting too, in my opinion. a little bit soft wide open (but every lens is), but if you close down just a bit is extremely sharp, and it's perfect for 360panos too. Definitively a good buy ;)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

phunkyboy

Quote from: screamer on February 26, 2013, 12:26:33 PM
I have all the samyang lenses, and this is one of my favs. It's a pretty good lens, perfect for video, and for shooting too, in my opinion. a little bit soft wide open (but every lens is), but if you close down just a bit is extremely sharp, and it's perfect for 360panos too. Definitively a good buy ;)

thanks Man, thats i needed to know cheers :-).

Roman

Depends on what you want to film to be honest... it is SUPER wide.

Part of which means that you have to get reaaaallllyyyy close in order to get someone/something in the picture.

I made this with a 600D / Samyang 8mm / 55-250 kit lense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKO74cwl78

Most of the shots with the 8mm, they had to skate so close that they almost hit me half of the time, and still looked miles away in the footage.

It's great though that it has MASSIVE depth of field, I normally just set it to F8, infinity focus and the depth of field is like 10cm to infinity.

I kinda chuckled that there's a cine version though.

The focus ring is pretty much useless with so much depth of field, unless you're at F3.5 in which case it's a bit soft for my liking anyway, a focus puller would have an impossible task to focus a lense that has so much in focus, and what's out of focus is *only just*.

I guess adjusting brightness with Iris pulls would be the main drawcard vs the normal version.

It's a bit niche though, there arent too many situations where I could think it's really useful for filming apart from sports etc I guess.

If I had my time again I'd probably buy the Sigma 10-22 instead, a little more expensive but useful in a LOT more situations.

phunkyboy

Quote from: Roman on February 27, 2013, 11:51:55 AM
Depends on what you want to film to be honest... it is SUPER wide.

ming apart from sports etc I guess.

If I had my time again I'd probably buy the Sigma 10-22 instead, a little more expensive but useful in a LOT more situations.

Ty for writing all that .Nice video !,Me and you on the same page creatively I want it for bboy .yes that is super  wide, that lense .Ive the canon 10-22 mm its a super useful lens.Is the cine version of the samyang much diff ?.

Roman

The cine version has a declicked apeture ring, so you can smoothly change apeture mid shot without clicking etc...

And the focus scale is on the side, rather than the top, I think it's in T stops or something rather than F stop.

I think it comes with some geared rings for a focus/apeture pull too.

Unless you're planning on apeture pulls though, it's probably not worth the $$$ over the usual one, as you're never going to get narrow depth of field in any useful way with this lense anyway. (Very big depth of field is the great thing about it)