[DONE] Upper ISO Limit for Expo Lock

Started by Marsu42, February 17, 2013, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

When setting Expo. Lock to modify ISO before Av/Tv it goes up all the way to H (12800) on my 60d which is next to unusable, making this feature basically useless in this setting. It's absolutely vital to add a "Expo -> Expo. Lock"-> Max. ISO" setting to prevent drowning in iso noise.

Francis

Expo lock is just for M, not even auto ISO. You are picking a specific exposure value. If you are getting astronomical ISOs, then you have an unrealistic exposure set for the scene and need to reset the exposure. Also, I would imagine that it wouldn't pick an expanded ISO if you turn off ISO expansion under Canon Custom Functions.

Marsu42

Quote from: Francis on February 17, 2013, 11:05:41 PM
Expo lock is just for M, not even auto ISO.

Correct, (I hope) I understand the feature and I nowhere wrote auto-iso, but what ml does is essentially an auto-iso function with no upper limit.

You are picking a specific exposure value. If you are getting astronomical ISOs, then you have an unrealistic exposure set for the scene and need to reset the exposure.

Wrong, this is no borderline case - I'm picking a very sound exposure to start with, but then want to modify the motion freeze (shutter) or depth of field (aperture) w/o possibly changing the other. So the first thing to change would be iso w/o ruining the picture due to iso noise, only then change the shot itsself by changing shutter/aperture. This is what expo lock is about, just that nobody seems to have actually tried the "iso first" setting or I wouldn't have to write this feature request.

Also, I would imagine that it wouldn't pick an expanded ISO if you turn off ISO expansion under Canon Custom Functions.

H was a bad example - iso 6400 is nearly as bad and imho completely unusable, certainly for professional purposes. And the Canon setting for the upper iso limit is ignored by ml expo lock, reading this (upper) limit from Canon's "ISO Auto" would be the alternative to adding a similar item to the expo lock menu.

Francis

OK, I understand. Surely sounds possible, since the bulb ramping algorithm uses the AutoISO max setting as a limit. It certainly isn't excluded because no one tested it, considering it works as designed. It's just that you thought up of another feature for the implementation. Sounds like we are going to need 2 Av modes, 2 Tv modes, and 3 M modes for all the possible combinations of autoexposure. ;) Too bad there is no mode remap anymore. Keeping track of all of those choices would be messy through the menus.

Marsu42

Quote from: Francis on February 18, 2013, 12:18:50 AM
OK, I understand. Surely sounds possible, since the bulb ramping algorithm uses the AutoISO max setting as a limit.

Ok, then this sounds like the most plausible method for limiting the iso value (though I don't like the rough 60d method since it's only 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 and no intermediary values).

Quote from: Francis on February 18, 2013, 12:18:50 AM
It certainly isn't excluded because no one tested it, considering it works as designed.

Yes and no - yes it works as designed, but no, the design didn't think of resulting image quality :-) ... again, expo lock is a great feature but severely limited in iq until the upper iso limit is added.

scrax

I was thinking same as Francis, we already use the canon auto-iso limit, it just need to be used here too.

I'm one of those didn't tested well Expo Lock, and maybe even after testing it probably would have considered it working even if not usable because of no ISO limit. But Marsu42 is right too, it needs an upper limits to be usable. IMHO the auto iso limit is ideal.
About not having intermediate ISO, for me, is a plus shooting RAW, since I prefer to use only real ISO in capture, I hate that on 5Dc there is no way to get rid of intermediate ISO.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 18, 2013, 01:07:35 AM
I was thinking same as Francis, we already use the canon auto-iso limit, it just need to be used here too.

... I just added it myself and will post a pull request.