60 D ML installed but not booting afterwards

Started by pabs, February 15, 2013, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabs

Hi,

I just installed ML 2.3 in an updated 60D. The installation was was succesfull. The firmware was running properly. I tried the intervalometer and it was ok. then i swapped cards, and it was running succesfully with cards without ML.

Then suddenly I was in middle of an important shoot, i had to change batteries. so i switched off the camera, and waited for approx 5 secs and removed the battery and replaced with a new one. ?but since then my camera wont boot at all. I missed the shoot altogether.

Please help.

Regards,
Pablo

a1ex

When the camera stopped, you had a card with or without ML?

g3gg0

hello pablo.

some checks:

1. remove your memory card, insert a fully charged battery and try to power on
-> what do you see? LED , screen etc

2. try to power on in every single mode (Av, Tv, M, ...)
-> same behavior?

3. insert card with ML and power on in every single mode (Av, TV, ...)
-> does the LED blink?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

pabs

Quote from: a1ex on February 15, 2013, 08:41:45 PM
When the camera stopped, you had a card with or without ML?

When the camera stopped the card was with ML

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 15, 2013, 08:43:15 PM
hello pablo.

some checks:

1. remove your memory card, insert a fully charged battery and try to power on
-> what do you see? LED , screen etc

2. try to power on in every single mode (Av, Tv, M, ...)
-> same behavior?

3. insert card with ML and power on in every single mode (Av, TV, ...)
-> does the LED blink?

1. I tried that. The LED is always on with an ML card inside, but wont boot. Without card, the LED is off and camera won't boot.
2. Tried all the modes in dial, without any effect. ( non-ML card)
3. Tried all the modes in dial, without any effect. ( ML card)

a1ex

Try this autoexec: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/60D/dumper/autoexec.bin

It will save your ROM contents on the card, in a file named F8.BIN. Send me this file.

a1ex

Executable code is alright; the settings area is probably corrupted.

pabs

Quote from: a1ex on February 15, 2013, 10:00:14 PM
Executable code is alright; the settings area is probably corrupted.

Any suggestions?

a1ex

I can research on my own 60D (e.g. reflash it with your ROM, then try to recover), but this will take a while, since we never went this far.

Another question: do you use a Canon battery or a third party one? When you replaced it, did the camera turn off first, or you turned it off a bit earlier once you have seen it blinking red?

My theory: at shutdown, all Canon cameras save their settings into ROM. If this memory area becomes corrupted, there's little you can do (see http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1550 ).

Hypothesis: when battery is low, camera power might be cut before the ROM writing routine finishes, so it may be left in an inconsistent state. That's just a dumb guess.

pabs

I was using a 3rd party battery then.
I turned off the camera first, then waited for some time, but the LED light didn't turn off.
As i was in a hurry , I had to remove the battery, as in FAQ its mentioned that removing the battery solves most problems.
After that i inserted the new batter (canon), but since then the camera wont start, the LED keeps on glowing.

Now i notice that, the LED keeps glowing while an ML card is inside, but the camera wont boot.
On inserting a non ML card, it remains dead.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Hi Pabs!

Your problem seems similar to that I encountered when I had my initial hick-ups with ML.  I too had switched off my 60d in the middle of a function - IMAGE STACKING - and the camera's red light was ON constantly.  But then, I got over it in the following manner which I shared in this forum elsewhere and for your ready reference reproduced hereunder.  Hope it may be of some help;

60d ML function Stack Focus;  Was experimenting FOCUS STACKING, and while the camera was in the course of taking snaps, I switched it off ! (remembered some urgent work; thought if I switched off the 60d, the stack focus function will automatically close by itself).  I was wrong!  The camera locked up and there was the constant red-light.

I let go my urgent work and attended to my camera; removed the battery and after 30 seconds re-loaded the same and switched on: No use; the red-light was back on!   Again I switched off the camera and removed the battery: This time I removed the SD card too (4GB with ML).  After 30 seconds, I loaded both the battery and the SD card and switched on the camera.  No use.  The constant red-light laughed at me again!  By then, I was a bit upset.  I removed the battery and the card both once again.

I loaded a different SD card (2 GB, but without ML) and the battery.  Switched on the 60d. No luck !  Felt very bad and sat for 10 minutes.

Then thought of making yet another last try before consulting Canon service. Loaded the earlier card (4 GB with ML) to the computer and removed all the photos from canon folders.  Only the photos and no other data.  Then re-loaded the card (4 GB with ML) and the battery into the camera and switched it on.

Voila !!! It worked !  JUST WANTED TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION

Let me know if it was of any help pl.