Additional C modes

Started by Marsu42, February 08, 2013, 12:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Like "ec on m" this falls into the category "potential ml killer features": Most cameras have a much too limited number of C settings on the dial (or no one, doh), for example 60d has 1x, 6d 2x, 5d 3x. It would be a very great, stunning and stellar (did I mention great?) feature if ml could read the Canon settings from a C position and restore them though the ml menu. Afaik the settings in the C modes aren't saved to the camera, so I assume restoring a C set through ml in C mode should be safe?

scrax

I've did a pull request for adding 5 c-modes to ML, you can see the code in the main tree. Also you can find a build in the new UI thread (but works only for 600D until someone port it to other models)
They are saved to card as previously asked, and c-1 could be set ot load at start-up as for safety default setting.

Here and here more topic about it
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

Would be nice to flip the real c-mode too without turning the dial. So you don't have to pick TV/Av/P/M and then store it

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 08, 2013, 02:54:45 AM
I've did a pull request for adding 5 c-modes to ML, you can see the code in the main tree. Also you can find a build in the new UI thread (but works only for 600D until someone port it to other models)
Here and here more topic about it

Well, my idea would be not only to save select values like but the whole thing just like the Canon c modes - if that's not possible I'd like to add some variables to the list I think should be integrated in the save/restore procedure. The current expo presets with limited variables are nice and should be kept, but imho they don't replace more full fledged c modes (that's why Canon is so "economical" with the number on cheaper camera bodies).

The code currently only available for 600d looks interesting though, I hope it'll be ported soon so I can try it on my 60d!

scrax

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 08, 2013, 10:09:03 AM
Well, my idea would be not only to save select values like but the whole thing just like the Canon c modes - if that's not possible I'd like to add some variables to the list I think should be integrated in the save/restore procedure. The current expo presets with limited variables are nice and should be kept, but imho they don't replace more full fledged c modes (that's why Canon is so "economical" with the number on cheaper camera bodies).

The code currently only available for 600d looks interesting though, I hope it'll be ported soon so I can try it on my 60d!

What is the whole thing? I have no c-mode on 600d so don't know how canon works, on 5D seems that also canon menu settings got saved. Probably is not impossible to do also with ML. I have to add some basic setting still like pic-quality. Maybe would be nice to have an option to save only expo related value/camera settings/camera setting+ML settings
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 08, 2013, 04:59:34 PM
What is the whole thing? I have no c-mode on 600d so don't know how canon works

Ups, sorry - the Canon C mode(s) save just about everything selectable from the Canon menu, from lcd brightness for custom functions. This is often overkill, but the safest way to adopt to different shooting situations quickly requiring different settings like mlu/htp/af modes/... except the setting list in your link.

So I'd either vote for full-fledged custom modes, saving everything just like Canon does, or I'd have some items I'd like to add to the list of settings saved/restored...