Changing bitrate for HDMI out

Started by AdamTheBoy, February 04, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamTheBoy

I've got what is hopefully a good question.  The 5D Mark III is getting uncompressed HDMI out in April with a firmware update and I intend on getting the atomos ninja 2 external recorder at that time.  I'm guessing that with subsequent updates the 5D mk III may be able to have it's bitrate changed.  The ninja 2 can handle up to 10-bit 4:2:2, so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not it will be feasible to get a 10 bit signal out of the camera through HDMI to the recorder?  I know this is hypothetical but I think that would be a really exciting development, thanks.

1%

i think thats the point of the update.

AdamTheBoy

The update on canon's website says that in april the firmware update will make it so "When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) "

So even with the update to uncompressed HDMI out the 5d mk3 will still be operating in 8bit.  I was wondering if it will be possible to increase that.

nanomad

At this point we'll have to assume that 4:2:2 is the internal format used by Canon's video processing runtime on DSLRs.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

pascalc

And about 8 bits quantization, is it hardware dependent or is it possible to push it up to 10 ?

nanomad

* nanomad thinks that the ASIC that runs video processing and encoding is using 8 bit colorspace

But I haven't really looked into it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

i think its safe to assume that. dunno why they downsample the color too.