[FIXED] Autofocus (AF) with Intervalometer

Started by paulredcopters, January 29, 2013, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulredcopters

Like several other posters, I need to use autofocus with the intervalometer. (It's because we are fitting the camera to a remote helicopter, and one flight profile may call for both long shots and close-ups).

I understand the feature has already been implemented. See this thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2313.msg8925#msg8925

So, I 'simply' need to go the Repository, find a release dated after Aug 25th, and er load it. Or compile it or something.

Not sure about this guys, I'm a photographer, not a software engineer. For starters, could someone recommend any particular release in the Repository: there are HUNDREDS! Is there a recent one that is regarded as being battle-ready?

And is there a step-by-step instruction for a dummy like myself to install it?

Camera is Canon 550D with latest Canon SW.

Francis

Everyday the current source is compiled automatically to create a 'Nightly build.' These builds are available for download at http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Download the ZIP and extract the folder. Then copy the files in the folder onto your card which already has ML installed. This will overwrite the autoexec.bin file. That is the executable which contains all the updates. Now you can put the card back into the camera and boot like normal. There is no need to go through the firmware update step or anything like that.

Note that sometimes features become unintentionally broken by changes in the nightlies. If you discover something isn't working the way it did in the stable release, then just report it and it will probably get straightened out in a day or 2.

paulredcopters

Thanks for the guidance Francis. Successfully downloaded and installed Build 2013Jan27.550D109

But...... I still can't get autofocus to work with the intervalometer as I expected it to. It seems to do one AF before the first shot, then never does it again. 

What I want is for the camera to re-autofocus separately for each shot. I'm using a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens (switched to AF obviously!). I can't see anywhere in the menus to enable or disable AF.

Am I missing something?

Francis

It definitely was enabled at some point but might have had a problem and was removed. Any devs have some insight?

nanomad

Fixed, when we added features definition we forgot to re-enable it.
Should be available in today's nightly builds
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

paulredcopters