Shutterspeed settings

Started by _FiLA, January 28, 2013, 11:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_FiLA

Hi,

is it possible with Magic Lantern to set Shutterspeed lower than 30 while shooting 24p or 25p? Thx in advance!

halbmoki

If you mean setting speeds like 1/15 with 25FPS, that's just not possible because the laws of time and space don't work that way ;) That's got nothing to do with ML, because there's just no way to squeeze more than 8 exposures of 1/8sec into a second of movie.

If you meant shorter exposures (like 1/100 with 25FPS), it should work automatically. For full manual exposure you need to activate "exposure override" from the expo sub-menu and then set the exposure from there. Note that the "cinematic look" with proper motion blur is best achieved with shutter speed of half the FPS, like 1/50sec for 25FPS.

_FiLA

Thanks for your reply and maybe I'm totally amiss here, but I'd like to go for a chopped up look with extreme motion blur, kind of like in a Wong Kar Wai film. If I actually think of film cameras, 25FPS would mean the camera took 25 pictures a second. And if Shutter speed is on 1/50 that means the shutter opens up 50 times in a sec, so that every frame would be exposed twice? Now if I just wanted to have only every 2nd frame exposed I would have the lower the shutterspeed to 1/12,5, right? Isn't that the right way to achieve chopped up look?

scrax

Quote from: _FiLA on January 29, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
Thanks for your reply and maybe I'm totally amiss here, but I'd like to go for a chopped up look with extreme motion blur, kind of like in a Wong Kar Wai film. If I actually think of film cameras, 25FPS would mean the camera took 25 pictures a second. And if Shutter speed is on 1/50 that means the shutter opens up 50 times in a sec, so that every frame would be exposed twice? Now if I just wanted to have only every 2nd frame exposed I would have the lower the shutterspeed to 1/12,5, right? Isn't that the right way to achieve chopped up look?
at 1/50 shutter will open the same number of frame rate you have but with that speed max speed is the framerate since then there will be another frame to expose

think in term of 1FPS you can't have an exposure bigger than 1 sec since the first sec is used to record the first frame, second sec second frame and so on. But you can take the first frame at 1/2000 and then wait for the sec to end for taking the second frame....
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-