60D - BROKE? - TV MODE NOT FUNCTIONING

Started by mr.vijayaraghavan, January 19, 2013, 04:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.vijayaraghavan

:'(Today I went out shooting birds in TV mode.  To my surprise I noticed that the TV mode is behaving like `P' mode!  The set shutter speed changes (like P mode or Auto mode) to MAINTAIN correct exposure.  I removed the ML card, battery and reloaded them with no avail.  Then I set all ML features to OFF mode (including global draw).  Yet no use.  Is my 60d broke?... Or is there any way I can set right my TV mode to function normally?

FOR INFORMATION: My 60d is 2 years old and I have been shooting quite satisfactorily.  About a month ago I loaded ML and am trying out its various features.

nanomad

Reset canon settings and disable ML bootflag with EOSCard
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: a1ex on January 19, 2013, 04:17:06 PM
Did you enable the safety shift feature?

Thanks for your quick response.  Pl clarify the following;

(1) What is `safety shift' feature and where do I find it.
(2) Alex says I have to reset canon settings and disable ML bootflag with EOS card. Please confirm whether the following process is OK;

-  To reset canon settings; I go to Canon Menu > Settings 3 > RUN `clear all camera settings'
-  To disable ML bootflag; I format ML card > Choose Remove ML.  Then with the same card I go the Firmware Ver sub-menu and click it and follow the instructions.

After receiving your confirmation I shall start the process.  Thanks again

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: mr.vijayaraghavan on January 19, 2013, 04:43:46 PM
-  To reset canon settings; I go to Canon Menu > Settings 3 > RUN `clear all camera settings'
-  To disable ML bootflag; I format ML card > Choose Remove ML.
  Then with the same card I go the Firmware Ver sub-menu and click it and follow the instructions.

Yes, that's the correct process, except for the part which isn't bold (that's only done for updating the firmware or for installing ML).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

a1ex

Formatting the card will not disable the bootflag.

You don't need to go that far, just clear the settings and custom functions, then read Canon manual before reporting Canon features as a ML bug ;)

scrax

Quote from: mr.vijayaraghavan on January 19, 2013, 04:43:46 PM
-  To disable ML bootflag; I format ML card > Choose Remove ML.  Then with the same card I go the Firmware Ver sub-menu and click it and follow the instructions.

After receiving your confirmation I shall start the process.  Thanks again

To disable ML bootflag:
You have to start camera with ML installed, go the Firmware Ver sub-menu and click it and follow the instructions.
After that you can format the card to remove ML files from it.

If you format the card before removing the bootflag you will not be able to load the installer.fir that will revert the bootflag.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: a1ex on January 19, 2013, 04:50:35 PM
Formatting the card will not disable the bootflag.

You don't need to go that far, just clear the settings and custom functions, then read Canon manual before reporting Canon features as a ML bug ;)

Thanks ALEX for solving my problem.  Double THANKS for educating me on Canon features. (My nephew was meddling with the settings and probably without his knowledge had enabled it).  I wasn't aware of the Custom Function SAFETY SHIFT at all! It's only after this mess-up I studied about it.

I realize that this SAFETY SHIFT is a great feature! It will certainly come handy when I go bird-shooting in bright & shadow wooded area.  I will keep it ENABLED and remember it.

MY MISTAKE in not being conversant with 60d menu and settings.  Sorry for bothering you busy people.