Selft Portrait

Started by natasha_r, January 10, 2013, 10:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natasha_r

hello,

Wich settings would be best for self portrait ? Is there a way that the camera auto focus before taking the picture ?

Thank you

1%

P and hold the camera far from your face or have a remote release. Leave AF on. lulz.

natasha_r

Is there a way to have the camera to focus before taking the shot when using the Audio RemoteShot option like when using a remote control ? I don't seem to be able to.

Francis

Use the intervalometer. There is an option to AF with each shot.

natasha_r

Try the intervalometer without success. The camera is not focussing by itself before taking shot and the documentation does not talk about focus option either. Did I miss something ?

Any other ways ?

Thank you

1%

Intervalometer is for filming a mostly static scene. If it has to keep hunting for focus its going to get wonky. You can set a manual focus with a deep enough depth of field for where you will be standing/sitting/etc. Or try audio remote shot, or motion detect.

nanomad

I'm afraid that if you don't have one of the new cameras with continuos AF in LV mode (650D or newer) your best option is to use zone focusing. Another alternative is to use Quick AF in movie mode. That or we can hack audio remote shot to have an AF switch (like I did for the intervalometer)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

If we add the AF option, we can make a settings menu (the last item under Shoot menu) which can contain:

- AF: for any picture taken by ML tools (intervalometer, motion detect, whatever)
- Number of pics taken at once (currently used for motion detect and trap focus, maybe other tools may need it too).
- Snap Simulation (from debug menu)

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

natasha_r

It would be very nice. Thank you for all your replies  :)

scrax

Quote from: natasha_r on January 11, 2013, 02:44:09 AM
Any other ways ?

Place the tripod
go where you will stay for the pic (with the camera)
AF on the tripod and then focus is detected change to MF
place the camera on the tripod, start self-timer and go back to you position
say cheeseeeeee...  ;)

TIP: you can place a mark on the floor with some tape that you will cover with a foot during shooting to be sure to keep the same distance from camera and stay away from walls at your back if you use on camera flash to avoid hard shadows behind you.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

natasha_r

Thank you scrax but a little too complicated for something that should be so simple  :)

1%

Well on 6D I just use the built in wifi and control the camera from my phone :)

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: natasha_r on January 11, 2013, 02:44:09 AM
Any other ways ?

Use Canon Utility Software and conect via USB
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

scrax

Quote from: natasha_r on January 11, 2013, 11:07:50 PM
Thank you scrax but a little too complicated for something that should be so simple  :)
So do you want to take it from your hand?
What lens do you plan to use?
Will you use flash?

With the kit lens 18-55mm you can try with those settings:
Av mode;
f11;
Auto ISO (if your camera has it, or you will have to find one good for your light);
MF set to 1mt.;
and you could take a pic from your hand with the camera facing you.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Francis

This is a nice blog post on Strobist.com with some great suggestions for self-portraits. There is a section on nailing the focus.

natasha_r

Quote from: scrax on January 12, 2013, 02:30:07 PM
So do you want to take it from your hand?
What lens do you plan to use?
Will you use flash?

That is the problem. I want to use my 85 between 1.2 and 2.0 because I like the look at those aperture. So, it's not easy to nail focus. And yes, i will use off camera lighting.

Thank you

natasha_r

Quote from: Francis on January 12, 2013, 06:17:56 PM
This is a nice blog post on Strobist.com with some great suggestions for self-portraits. There is a section on nailing the focus.

Thank you Francis. I love Sara Lando. She did a 3 parts about photographing people that i liked very much but didn't know she also did an article on self posing.

Have a nice day.

trase

Use an IR remote if your camera supports it.
They often have a 2 second timer button which is convenient. Use live view with face detection if your camera supports it.

natasha_r

Quote from: trase on January 13, 2013, 04:54:42 PM
Use an IR remote if your camera supports it.
They often have a 2 second timer button which is convenient. Use live view with face detection if your camera supports it.

Face detection auto focus function won't work with ir remote (at least with rc-1).

trase

Ok, I use a cheap 5-in-1 universal IR remote that can be found on ebay and elsewhere.
Face detection auto focus with that one and my 600D works fine.
(It's nice to have the swivel screen of the 600D for self portraits).

natasha_r

Quote from: trase on January 14, 2013, 05:00:02 PM
Ok, I use a cheap 5-in-1 universal IR remote that can be found on ebay and elsewhere.
Face detection auto focus with that one and my 600D works fine.
(It's nice to have the swivel screen of the 600D for self portraits).

Thank you, i did not know it was possible with other remote. I will buy one on ebay to try with my camera and hope it will also work on a 5D. Does anyone been able to use auto focus with a ir remote on a 5D in liveview ?

P.S. I also send you a PM concerning aperture bracketing and nightly builds.

natasha_r

Quote from: a1ex on January 11, 2013, 09:49:08 AM
If we add the AF option, we can make a settings menu (the last item under Shoot menu) which can contain:

- AF: for any picture taken by ML tools (intervalometer, motion detect, whatever)
- Number of pics taken at once (currently used for motion detect and trap focus, maybe other tools may need it too).
- Snap Simulation (from debug menu)

Hi,

I just wanted to make sure this feature would not be lost in this thread. Is this something I should put in the request thread or it's already in the work to being implemented in a nightly build in the future or It wont be implemented at all.

Thank you

Sxk100

Hi Natasha,

See if this works for you. I have tested and works for me.

Use the audio remote shot along with self timer. Make sure you have enabled center AF point and position youself apprx at the center. Also, make sure you are not using the back button auto focus (AF set to shutter button- this is the default unless you changed it). Also, lens should be on auto focus - i am sure you already have this set.

Let me know if it helps.

Sxk100

natasha_r

Thank you. It works fine  :)

I would have liked to do the same thing but with the LV enabled. But since you only can focus in LV with the of-on button, it must be impossible to implement (at least with old camera that do not focus by themselves in LV like the 5D MK II.

Thanks for your help