Mirror wear

Started by canaldin, January 07, 2013, 06:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canaldin

Hello,

I always wandered why there is no more the possibility to make time lapse with regular jpeg images as shot by the camera without moving the mirror. I may be wrong but I remember doing hdr timelapse with no mirror movement with regular jpegs, this can significantly reduce the mirror mechanisms wear. I looked into the silent mode but the whole workflow and limitations made me feel kinda crippled in what I was doing, file rename, lo-res, lcd always up and so on. What do you think?

1%

what camera? i don't think you can shoot jpeg untethered without moving shutter/mirror. the jpegs are small anyways. better off using the 4.22. you can convert them to whatever you need. with movie sizes they are ~hd. shooting a movie for timelapse isn't bad either.

canaldin

I'm using 550D.
Jpeg being normally larger then FHD let some room for fake pan, post reframe etc. After being on a volcano and having collected tons of dust I feel pain every time I press the shutter. Timelapse is especially interesting for HDRs and this multiplies the numer of shots and even on brand new cameras having the shutter mirror going is quite a pain anyway. As for me being able to do silent jpeg timelapse would just be fantamarvelous :)

meeok

Quote from: 1% on January 07, 2013, 06:45:56 PM
what camera? i don't think you can shoot jpeg untethered without moving shutter/mirror. the jpegs are small anyways. better off using the 4.22. you can convert them to whatever you need. with movie sizes they are ~hd. shooting a movie for timelapse isn't bad either.
Untethered? Are you saying there is a way to do this tethered?

1%

600D can shoot jpegs continuously when connected to USB. They are only like "photo" mode LV size and LV has to be open. So you're better off shooting the 4:22s. You can't shoot in photo mode with lV down unless its a real pic.