ML Raw Video / Best SD card? (60D)

Started by Chris, January 04, 2013, 08:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hi Guys,  (topic = Canon 60d)

Sorry if this has been covered, but couldn't find anything exact.

I would like to shoot as close to raw video possible using ML. I am a Visual Effects Compositor using Nuke so need the footage raw (to grade, key, track ect).  So its important to squeeze every last drop of quality.

I understand that too much information bottlenecks the Canon's buffer therefore stopping the recording, so I am looking for the fastest card possible to use. (Recording done without sound)

I believe it is between: SanDisk Extreme SDHC (45MB/s) or SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I (95MB/s)

So my question:

1. Will the UHS-1 card increase the speed by anything? Even a fraction.

2. What would be the highest CBR I could used with a 60d using its fastest capable card.

Any help would really be appreciated as this is making my head hurt.

All in all I just need to push out the utter most video quality from the Canon 60d.

Thank you,

Chris

a1ex

Short answer: buy a Blackmagic camera.

Chris

Thanks a1ex.....

Not what I was asking. Although a nice camera, but I would buy Red at 4k footage than Magics 2.5k. Either way I was looking at paying £50 for a new SD Card not 100 times that.

Correction its 50times more lol.

Francis

Long answer: 60D doesn't support UHS-1 transfers so the 45MB/s card would be fine. You're going to have to experiment to find out what CBR multiplier you can get away with. It depends on the scene, how much movement there is, etc.

No matter what the bitrate, the video quality is still restricted by h.264 and you are not going to be able to increase the image quality substantially. It will be subtle, if noticeable at all. Not going to be anywhere near RAW-like.

1%

The UHS-1 card will help a little bit. Sustained transfer rate will be higher. You'll get a bunch less stops. It was worth it for me to get a 64gb card for $50 (prolly half of L50). It will definitely work with 6D which can support it.

As a compositor that 4:2:0 color is probably the worst part. No SD card will help you there. If you had gotten a 600D you'd be in slightly better shape right now with the hacks and crop video.