Using magic lantern alongside canon firmware

Started by NH, January 03, 2013, 05:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH

Hi,

Sorry for the noob question. About to get a 60d. Just wondering how easy is it to alternate between magic lantern and the canon firmware. I understand that magic lantern does not replace the canon firmware and runs off the card, but how fast is it to switch between the two?

Is it a matter of having to reformat the card every time you want to change from magic lantern to the canon firmware and vice versa?

Thanks guys.

MattWalkerNcl

Greetings NH,

I'm new to the world of ML too, but will add my understanding of how I've found things...

I use my 550d with ML and I use it as before ML was put on my SD cards,
whenever I wish to use a feature of ML I simply press the trash can button
and select it from there. It appears they run parallel when shooting in Manual
mode...

Cheers,

Matt
Canon 550D / Canon 18-55mm / Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk II / Canon 28mm f1.8 / Canon 10-22mm / Sigma 18-250mm

Francis

Like Matt says, you can always just enable the features you wish to use. It does not interfere with the normal operation of the camera. The only thing you might notice is a slight increase in startup time (very slight on the 550D).

If you wish to not use ML at all at particular times you have a couple of options. You can either hold down the Set button while turning on the camera and the ML program will not run. The other option is to use a different SD without ML on it. The camera will boot like normal with no noticeable difference than before you ever install ML.

NH

Thanks Matt and Francis, that clears everything up. :)