Hey Everybody! Question about upgrading from older version to 2.3

Started by drockfools, January 02, 2013, 03:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drockfools

Hope everybody has had a good holiday so far!

I'm a film student with a t2i and I have some questions regarding updating my old Magic Lantern to the new 2.3 version. Post a reply back if you'd be willing to help me out.

Thanks!

Francis

Welcome.  You will probably get more responses if you just go ahead and ask your questions.

drockfools

haha I guess you make a good point. My questions is, I already have the older version of Magic Lantern and have all the files that are needed on my 8gb SD Card to run it fine and it does. I downloaded the new Magic Latern and extracted the files, but do I first need to format my card from the camera, (deleting) the old version of Magic Latern? Does that completely remove the software or are there other steps? I have a macbook pro that I use to do all this with,

Thanks you

Francis

The boot process should still be the same, so you could just delete the old ML files and put the new files on there, assuming that the Canon firmware version is compatible. With older versions, you only had to replace the autoexec.bin file to upgrade but there is a new directory structure with v. 2.3 so be sure to completely remove the old files as well as copy the entire contents of the v.2.3 download onto the card.

drockfools

Ok, so I delete these files which are the older versrion minus DCIM and MISC,

and replace them with the newly updated files. (Are these the all the files that come with the 2.3 version?)

If so, do I just go and update the firmware or is there another step I should take before doing that?

Francis

Yep those are all the files. If you didn't format the card in between moving all the files, it should still be bootable and you won't even need to go through the firmware update step.

Go ahead and pop it in the camera and power it on, then press Delete to make sure the menu comes up. If it doesn't for some reason, then clean all settings and custom functions and do the firmware update.

drockfools

Alright and this is after I've replaced the files? I haven't done any formatting or anything to the card. I shouldn't say that, I have, but I've always kept Magic Latern on.

scrax

Quote from: drockfools on January 03, 2013, 02:32:11 AM
Alright and this is after I've replaced the files? I haven't done any formatting or anything to the card. I shouldn't say that, I have, but I've always kept Magic Latern on.
delete old file
copy new files

nothing more.

keep DCIM and MISC is good. no need to format but check firmware compatibility on the release notes or it will not work
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Francis

Correct. After replacing all the files.

The firmware update process does 2 things. 1) It makes the card bootable (which yours already is since you are running a different version of ML). 2) It sets the bootflag on the camera. This makes the camera check for bootable files (like the autoexec.bin file) on the card and run those files when the camera is booting.

Both of these things are already done due to your previous install which I'm guessing is the 2011 Christmas edition from the look of your old card contents.

drockfools

literally couldn't have explained it any better haha, seriously. thank you! it's the statement that if you don't do it right, it can screw up your camera...

again, thank you and I'll will see you on other parts of the forum!