Focus Peaking on 60D

Started by slydog1227, December 31, 2012, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slydog1227

Just installed ML on my 60D today after upgrading firmware to 1.1.1
Instals all went fine.  ML menu comes up.  I found ML in a roundabout way while looking for help with focusing issues while using Super Takumar lenses on my 60D, which requires manual focusing.  I've gone into the sub menu under Overlays/focus peak and selected all the parameters, and when I'm getting the "green light" buttons for Global Draw: ON, all modes as well as Focus Peak.  So I go to live view to shoot.  But I'm not seeing the red dots when I focus in or out in the live view.  After I snap the shutter, in the brief instant it displays the photo taken, I see red dots on it, but they don't come back up when I review the photo.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I didn't see any specific settings adressing all this in the Users Manual.  Any info, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kenny

g3gg0

are overlays enabled for all modes or jus image review?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

slydog1227

Global Draw: ON; all modes.  So I'm guessing that its enabled for all modes.  Focus peak Spotmeter Histogram.   I also have selected (a green dot precedes them in the menu)  Focus Peak, Spotmeter, & Histogram. 

Also, while I was looking at the menu to see what all had the green dot,  I just noticed if I leave the ML menu up and just sitting on Overlay screen after about 30 seconds, the menu goes off, and nothing would work, no live view, no shutter release, not able to bring the menu back up,  and the red "busy" light on the chip door came on and stayed on.  After about 12 seconds, I didn't wait to see what was happening.  I just took the battery out.  Turned it off.  Took the chip out. 

Then I put the battery back in, restarted it withouth the chip; cleared all "previous settings" from the Canon menu.  (I was in the AV mode).

I then turned the camera back off,   I switched to M mode, put the chip back in, turned it on, and it booted back up fine.  But now I'm afraid to leave the ML menu up and just sitting for any lenght of time.  Do you think If I had just let it sit with the busy light on, it would have eventually straightened itself out?   

slydog1227

Ok... I saw a thread in the General Help forum about someone who's Global Draw features weren't working.  Someone told him to go to movie mode and click the info button a few times.  I did that and it started working in the movie mode so I took a few shots there and I was thinking "well, I guess I'll have to just shoot single frames in movie mode", but then I switched back to Manual mode, went to live view, and Focus peaking worked just fine.  I still don't know what I the process was that made it work, only that doing it made it work. 
I'm sure I will still have the issue of leaving the ML menu up till it blacks out and locks everything up though.  For now, I'll just make sure and not leave it idle for too long.

Francis

The ML overlays only work when the Canon overlays are turned off. This is in any liveview mode, movie or stills.

slydog1227

Thanks!  Any help about the Camera locking up after the ML menu is open for without input until it closes out?  Is that a known issue or a bug of some sort?  Or was just being impatient and needed to wait a minute or so?  I can try and reproduce if you wish, but I didn't want to hang my camera again as Im not all that savy when it comes running some of the diagnositic things I've seen explained in some of the other forums.  But I'll give it a darned good shot!  :D