Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 30, 2012, 11:43:18 PM
@Pelican:
thanks for your contribution. i really love the way it looks now.
due to the flood of space changes, i rejected your pull request and added it manually (https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/c5e001352bb0)
maybe you should revert all your space changes to this changeset and continue from there.
Thanks!
Last night I had an idea how to speed up the load of help pages. (My camera  looked  like a cheap chinese toy with this slow screen refresh)
The main idea is to save the vram when the bmh is opened/displayed and next time if the loader finds saved vram, then it loads to the vram directly instead of loading the bmh. Of course we can create all of them in advance and put it in to the distribution.
It's lightspeed now, hundred times quicker even it moves more data. You can load and display all the 153 pages in 3 seconds...  8)
The disadvantage is the bigger doc size (its about 75 MB ~ 3 raw image size on 7D) but in the zip its only 3 MB instead of 2.5 MB (the bmh files) so it will bigger with only half megabyte.

I wanted to merge it right now, but I had to pull the changes, so I'll go home now and make it again.

The load and save is very simple:

void save_vram(const char * filename)
{
    uint8_t* b = (uint8_t *)bmp_vram();
    ASSERT(b);
    if (!b) return;

FILE * file = FIO_CreateFile( filename );
   if( file == INVALID_PTR )
      return;
   else   
    {
   FIO_WriteFile(file, b, BMP_VRAM_SIZE);

FIO_CloseFile( file );
   }
}

int load_vram(const char * filename)
{
    uint8_t* b = (uint8_t *)bmp_vram();
    ASSERT(b);
    if (!b) return -1;

unsigned size;
    if( FIO_GetFileSize( filename, &size ) != 0 )
        return -1;
   return read_file(filename, b, size);
}

And if you don't have any saved vram (page-xxx.vrm) in your doc folder than doesn't do anything at all.
It instantly works on all the cameras which has the same vram size as the 7D has.

Also I made a togglable page number display (with Set button) so you can't lost during browsing the help pages.

What do you think?
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

jphansen

feureau

nickehallgren

Thanks for the alpha 2, great work!! I've been using ML on my 600D and yesterday I tried it on my 7D and I wanted to test photographing fireworks with motion detection. I got it working on my 600D but on the 7D I could not set the shutter speed below 1/30 (wanted 2") in live view (needed for motion detection) I compared settings with my 600D, tried Exposure override but without luck. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

BR Nicke

baldand

Great work with ML for 7D so far, many thanks!

I've tried both Alpha1 and Alpha2 releases so far. The only major problem I've had in both releases is that a few times, when recording video (normal settings - no video hacks), the camera has hung when I end the recording with the start/stop button.   Opening card door or power off didn't work - only removing battery helped. After putting the battery back in, everything is fine, except the video I was recording cannot be played.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue?

(CF card was Kingston 32GB 600X and the lens was 50mm f1.8 in manual)

oli4h

Hello,

Once again It seems it's my first Post here so: many thanks for your work!

Is there any way to compile a 7D ML with last changes/ contrib and how?

I would like to add the Hyperfocale/Near/Far/Actual distabces to the/my std LV view - is this doable or only via code changes?

Oh, yeah one more thing: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Pelican

Yes, you can build your own autoexec, but if you want to run it you have to set the boot flag on your camera.
See the starting as a developer topic for how to setup your machine to compile the code.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

markymark

Hi All,

Many thanks for the info on how to install ML on my 7D, just a quick question am I right in saying that at the moment once I have installed ML on the 7D I need to keep the same CF card in and shoot with this in and once I have turned the camera off I need to go through the installation of ML again to use it ?

Many thanks

Mark

SonicScot

Quote from: markymark on January 01, 2013, 03:14:52 PM
Hi All,

Many thanks for the info on how to install ML on my 7D, just a quick question am I right in saying that at the moment once I have installed ML on the 7D I need to keep the same CF card in and shoot with this in and once I have turned the camera off I need to go through the installation of ML again to use it ?

Many thanks

Mark
That's right, each time you cut the power to your camera you will have to re-install Magic Lantern. Luckily it only takes a matter of seconds to do this.  ;)
If you were to load ML then change CF cards your camera would cut the power when you open the card door, so re-installing would be required.
:)
5D Mark ll with ML 2.3
7D with ML Alpha2
Couple of L lenses and lots of old, manual lenses.

scrax

Quote from: Pelican on January 01, 2013, 02:03:54 PM
Yes, you can build your own autoexec, but if you want to run it you have to set the boot flag on your camera.
See the starting as a developer topic for how to setup your machine to compile the code.

I can't compile the nightly, with the summon arm toolchain make all, make 600D, make 500D... works ok, "make clean; make 7D" gives me error in gdb.c:
gdb.o: In function `gdb_task_stall':
gdb.c:(.text+0x4): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24 against symbol `msleep' defined in *ABS* section in magiclantern

what is *ABS* section? I can't see nothing "strange" in gdb.c
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

markymark

Hi All,
        okay have done the upgrade to the Canon firmware 2.0.3 and downloaded the ML firmware onto my pc, formatted the cf card in the camera, but now need to uzip the ML firmware into the route folder on the cf card, but which folder is the route folder I have

DCIM (and two other folders in this folder 100EOS7D & EOSMISC)

MISC

Many thanks

Mark

scrax

Quote from: markymark on January 01, 2013, 06:49:54 PM
Hi All,
        okay have done the upgrade to the Canon firmware 2.0.3 and downloaded the ML firmware onto my pc, formatted the cf card in the camera, but now need to uzip the ML firmware into the route folder on the cf card, but which folder is the route folder I have

DCIM (and two other folders in this folder 100EOS7D & EOSMISC)

MISC

Many thanks

Mark

Is the letter of the card on win for example:

E:\misc\

E: is the root. misc and dcim are subfolder of root folder.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

markymark

Quote from: scrax on January 01, 2013, 06:54:51 PM
Is the letter of the card on win for example:

E:\misc\

E: is the root. misc and dcim are subfolder of root folder.

When I put the CF card into my laptop in my computer it's coming up as EOS_DIGITAL (E:), so do I just uzip it straight onto E: (no need to put it in anyfolders ?)

Also is it just the MAGIC.FIR that I unzip on to the card or that and everything that is in the ML folder ?

beej

Quote from: markymark on January 01, 2013, 07:02:50 PMdo I just uzip it straight onto E: (no need to put it in anyfolders ?)

Yes - that's what "root" means - the top level, not inside any folders.

Quote from: markymark on January 01, 2013, 07:02:50 PMAlso is it just the MAGIC.FIR that I unzip on to the card or that and everything that is in the ML folder ?

Step 2, Installation docs:

"Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card."

Just follow the docs exactly, don't change steps or second guess them... :)

markymark

okay uzipped all the files from the ML downloaded file onto the CF card placed in the camera went to firmware on the menu pressed set (current version is 2.0.3. Update press ok firmware up date program, sensor screen came up on back of screen and the red light by the cf door flashed. firmware ver. 2.0.3-ml-v2.3.next on the screen now, but don't see anything new :(

scrax

press TRASH!  ;D

but maybe you should give a read to the guide too...

SoulCatcher09

Hi all,
Just like to come out of the shadows,been lurking for a while now  :-X , and thank g3gg0 for his time and effort in cracking the 7D as well as all the rest of the contributors who made this project happen  ;). I dont really do any filming with my kit as i am a stills kind of person  ::), but what ML has under the hood for my line of photography is just amazing and i am genuinely blown away by the choices on offer.
I would like to contribute some money to the cause, but cant find any donation links? I'm sure i seen them somewhere...
Thank-you all again,
Peace, Love, and a Happy New year.
:D
EOS 7D running ML alpha 2,Canon BG-E7, EOS 450D(sentimental value ;oD),assortment of film cameras(still like to dabble in the darkroom),lenses:- 24-105mm, 10-20mm, 105mm macro, 50mm, 2x 580exII's,2x Flex TT5 pocketwizards, Mini TT1 pocketwizard, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, Manfrotto Junior Geared Head.

beej

Quote from: markymark on January 01, 2013, 07:49:07 PM
okay uzipped all the files from the ML downloaded file onto the CF card placed in the camera went to firmware on the menu pressed set (current version is 2.0.3. Update press ok firmware up date program, sensor screen came up on back of screen and the red light by the cf door flashed. firmware ver. 2.0.3-ml-v2.3.next on the screen now, but don't see anything new :(

Ok, you're up and running. Now you need to learn how to use it. Press the Trash button, and read the docs :)

scrax

Quote from: SoulCatcher09 on January 01, 2013, 07:54:43 PM
I would like to contribute some money to the cause, but cant find any donation links? I'm sure i seen them somewhere...
Hi,
seems you have missed this recent article about actual situation of ML: http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/145-happy-holidays-updates-inside

beej

Quote from: SoulCatcher09 on January 01, 2013, 07:54:43 PMI would like to contribute some money to the cause, but cant find any donation links? I'm sure i seen them somewhere...

I think they said they disabled the donation links for now, as donations have funded the immediate needs of getting IDA licenses to help with development.

SoulCatcher09

Quote from: beej on January 01, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
I think they said they disabled the donation links for now, as donations have funded the immediate needs of getting IDA licenses to help with development.

Ahh thanks for the info, will look out for when the team needs more donations.
Cheers
EOS 7D running ML alpha 2,Canon BG-E7, EOS 450D(sentimental value ;oD),assortment of film cameras(still like to dabble in the darkroom),lenses:- 24-105mm, 10-20mm, 105mm macro, 50mm, 2x 580exII's,2x Flex TT5 pocketwizards, Mini TT1 pocketwizard, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, Manfrotto Junior Geared Head.

markymark

That's great thanks for being patient with me just need to test it out  ;D

scrax

Quote from: SoulCatcher09 on January 01, 2013, 08:02:59 PM
Ahh thanks for the info, will look out for when the team needs more donations.
Cheers
In the meantime, please, report all your findings/problems so to help with development  ;)

DaveVegas

Hey guys,

I've shot a little short after doing some tests with the 7D and this is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUsaJGe4jk

A little shortfilm called "The Visitor". I shot everything on a 7D with bitrates between 100-150mbps and all I-Frames. I really did see the difference in post.

Keep it up!

beej

Just a follow up on this:-

Quote from: beej on December 28, 2012, 03:36:57 AMA question on rack focusing.

One slightly frustrating thing - when altering the steps to here value with the top scroll wheel, moving it fast (which you kinda have to do with a step size of 1 for it to go anywhere, as you want values of +100 or more) often comes off the parameter (especially if the soft-limit is reached, but it will often come off the parameter without that happening) - and then you are now scrolling fast through the menus. Not only that, but there is no way (I can see) of continuing to adjust the steps to here value without first zeroing it out and starting again. This makes setting up a rack focus operation quite painful, currently.

While this is all true, I've just discovered (duh!) that changing the focus steps using the top dial is not the only, and certainly not the best way of changing the parameter. Using the multi-controller instead moves the steps continuously, rapidly and smoothly, and doesn't "run off the end" in the same way the top dial does, which goes a long way into making the feature smooth to use.

Just in case anyone else is running into the same issue. I'm really going to be using the rack focus feature a lot (it is one of the features I really like on my Sony Z5, along with zoom and aperture ramping, but without that super-shallow depth of field it's far less sexy than a DSLR...).